Post by elavd » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:58 pm

I am a Magento user trying to migrate to OpenCart so I am in the learning process of OpenCart 3.

One of the "strange" things that confused me is the use of Attributes in OC:
What I mean is that, in Magento for example, when I create a new attribute for example "Gender" I have to set a global name for this attribute (e.g. "gender") which is unique and distinct.

Let's say I have a multilingual site with 3 languages: English, German & Greek.
No matter what the Attribute Name Value is in each language (Gender, Geschlecht & Φύλο), if I call the attribute code name "gender" I know which attribute I am reffering to, and I am able to display it wherever I want on the site, by using my custom code.

Now for OpenCart, unforunatelly this is not the case... Each Attribute is based on it's Value name, which is different for every language (3 different names in my example), and the custom code that I have to write in order to find a specific attribute is language dependent. Of course I could try to find the numeric ID of this attribute and call it, but this method is not so convenient.

Any ideas about this problem? Is there a way to find a solution?

Post by straightlight » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Another solution would be by filtering the attributes on the store-front end since each products are already assigned by their own languages once loaded into the store: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=31177

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by elavd » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:12 pm

My problem is this:
I would like to be able to show on the product page, selected Attributes in selected placements (not as list). For example, I want to show the an atttribe called GENDER, just under the product name.

In order to call this Attribute, I have to use its own Attribute Name, which is different for each language that my site might have. So I would like to have the option to call an Attribute and present it on the front-end by using a global, non-language-depentent code (just like an ID, but with letters).

Is that more clear now?

Post by straightlight » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 pm

There might be extensions that could allow to do this on the Marketplace. If not, you could always submit a new request in the Commercial Support section of the forum in order to get this done as a custom job. However, take note that the product attributes are not added into the order by default in anyhow despite the attribute features being displayed on the product page.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by elavd » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I have tried to find an extension that could do the job, but unfortunately with no luck...