Subject: Opencart versions
Iamdbat wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:23 am
Can anybody honestly tell me this .... is there an actual stable version of opencart that is actually usable? - the only version I have found that you could say you can truly use is 1.5.6x - if you know better please tell me .... Opencart is such an unfinished product .... big sigh of disappointment
With honesty response; No Opencart version can be considered as stable unless forum users reports an official and accurate problem on the forum that can be reproduced. The Bug Reports section in the forum exists for those reasons and those reasons to fix those reported issues in order to release higher versions of Opencart.
These erroneous events keeps on-going for the following reasons:
- Wrong variables were entered by the Opencart team due to untested codes
- Users do not report issues or they do report them but without providing the exact and precise steps on the forum so that these problems can be reproduced as mentioned by reporters
- Users attempts to launch the upgrade process of the platform without consulting and by not disabling any extensions and custom themes that may or may not be compatible with future releases of Opencart and without doing any research on the MarketPlace.
- Users do not follow the install.txt file from the downloaded Opencart ZIP file in order to assign the proper CHMOD permissions and on recursive mode to the required folders on their file server which causes images, themes and CSS files not to display properly on the browser when running on a live server environment.
- Specific issues on the forum nor on Github may not be considered by the Opencart team due to innacuracy of the reported problems reported on the forum or even based on accuracy but the Opencart team were not able to reproduce the same issue since those reported issue may be particularly based on specific servers or based on different zones only which may not be able to be reproduced for other zones - especially for Payment and Shipping modules that requires to obtain response via the API.
- Users do not look at the Bug Reports section of the forum nor on the master files on Github on an everyday basis to see if there are recent fixes involved.
With all the aspects being said above, granted, Opencart v3.x's entire documentation is not published which may complicate manners for users who tries to understand the use and the purpose of the platform. However, there have been countless bug-fixes posted on my behalf in the Bug Reports section of the forum which have greatly helped the users. The master files on Github are also updated regularly which users do not take the time to look at them.
Opencart is an Opensource software coded with Opensource programming language under the GNU license. Those licenses do not guarantee the stability of any platform nor interface that users agrees to use upon installation. Opensource is a work-together environment as it meant to steal most of the people's valuable time to resolve problems in general that can be reproduced. It is also about the consideration and the motivation that the team must put in order to resolve those issues.
In other words, the faster those problems can be posted with accuracy, the more motivated the Opencart team will be to resolve those issues, the faster the stability of the platform will become. Opencart provides error logs from the admin as I see many topics that do not involve the following:
- The Opencart version the poster is using
- No error or access logs provided nor any questioning about how to provide those information when not provided whenever they don't know how to provide those information
- No URL provided
- No custom theme information installed provided
- No extensions installed information provided
- No research on the forum
- Email identical issues for several users that involves no configuration at all in the email forms in the admin section
- Language barrier which this forum does have their own sections to post into
- Forum SPAMs which does not help at all for the next users to understand the source of passed regarded problems
To conclude the brief message, it is not only about the stability of Opencart that these issues should be observed about.