Post by collylad » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:07 pm

I have an old open cart website (circa 2010)

I now have a new theme. - is there any way I can migrate the existing products over to the new site so I don't have to manually re-populate every item?

Thanks for any help!

Post by OSWorX » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Basically a Theme should never touch an existing database or tables (except for a few minor theme related settings).
Therefore the answer is: yes.

But if you meant to update to a newer OpenCart version, the answer would be: yes and no.
Yes because the database tables and fields are still used.
No because you have to check prior if fields may have changed (e.g. length or type) or new tables and fields are introduced.

But - as always: before yo uwant to update, make a full backup of your database (NOT with the integrated backup tool, use phpMyAdmin)!
And - second: do not touch the running liveshop. Perform the update on a copy of it.
If the update was successfull, you can switch to the new version.

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by thekrotek » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:35 pm

collylad wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:07 pm
I have an old open cart website (circa 2010)
I now have a new theme. - is there any way I can migrate the existing products over to the new site so I don't have to manually re-populate every item?
You can migrate your site from any framework (not only OpenCart) to any other. However, OpenCart update routine has never been even mediocre. You always have to do a bunch of stuff manually. How much time/money you spend on this solely depends on your own skills and financial shape.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 pm

You could find an import/export extension like this one and export from the old and import to the new.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom