Post by GWShop » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:17 pm

For 3 days now I get the same message again and again. I haven't login to Admin panel for 3 days!
Your account has exceeded allowed number of login attempts. Please try again in 1 hour or reset password.
I don't have the latest version of Opencart. I have the pre-latest version. Can the developers define what is the problem here?
- Noone tried to login.
- I didn't change any files.
- I did nothing.

The first time I saw this message I hadn't logged in the admin panel for almost 2 days!

I want to increase the allowed number of login attempts to around 5-6 so that I don't see that message again. How can I login and use my site?

Post by straightlight » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:18 pm

OC version. Posted in Bug Reports.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by opencartbot » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:55 am

You may need to increase this value:
System > Settings > Edit store > tab Options > field Max Login Attempts

I'm web developer and I can create an OpenCart Extension for you - contact me via PM.

Location - Ukraine

Post by halfhope » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:58 am

Hi!
  • Don't use "default" accounts like admin, rename them. They are easy to use for brute force passwords.
  • Use two-factor authentication for the admin panel using .htaccess (basic http authorization). This will prevent password brute force attempts.
And now, to solve the problem, you just need to change the username admin in the oc_user table.

My extensions in marketplace. [ security | flexibility | speedup ]

Location - San Diego

Post by GWShop » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:33 pm

I can not login to Admin panel! This goes on for 4 days now!

So explain to me step by step how am I going to solve the issue using FTP!

Post by xxvirusxx » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:51 pm

1. Go to phpMyAdmin
2. Delete your entry (ip) from customer_login table

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by GWShop » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:04 pm

How can I edit a file in FTP and make the "Limit of Admin users logged in" increase to ex. 5?

Because that's the first time I see a functionality like this in any CMS!

Post by ADD Creative » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:24 pm

In admin/controller/common/login.php try removing or commenting out the the following.

Code: Select all

$this->error['error_attempts'] = $this->language->get('error_attempts');
Once you have logged and changed the Max Login Attempts setting. Put the line back.

You may also need to check the modifications in storage if you have an extension that modifies that file.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by saf77776 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:06 pm

Hi,
Same thing is happening to me. Sorted the login with everyone's input above. thanks

however, as suggested by another...(one of you above) i went in the customer IP table in my PHP and to my surprise, i have 10,000 logged ips with what seems like an a-z of legit names and ips. But this opencart install of mine is fresh only been up for a few months and I've not even promoted it one bit and i don't want to currently as its still work in progress. Has this been injected into my opencart install somehow along with the admin login issue ? whats going on anybody know ?

Post by ADD Creative » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:16 am

saf77776 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:06 pm
Hi,
Same thing is happening to me. Sorted the login with everyone's input above. thanks

however, as suggested by another...(one of you above) i went in the customer IP table in my PHP and to my surprise, i have 10,000 logged ips with what seems like an a-z of legit names and ips. But this opencart install of mine is fresh only been up for a few months and I've not even promoted it one bit and i don't want to currently as its still work in progress. Has this been injected into my opencart install somehow along with the admin login issue ? whats going on anybody know ?
It's probably a bot. There one that register customers and another that tries to brute force the admin.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by by mona » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:56 pm

ditto above

Bots do not care whether you have a working website, probably do not even know your domain.

If you analyse the requests you would find that they probably just reference your ip address and actually do not even know you run Opencart or have an /admin/ directory, they just try.

These bots just post to your admin a username and password from a list and as long as they do not get a negative response (404,410), they will continue.

These usernames are rather arbitrary, silly even, and their request frequency is pretty low so there is no real harm there but if you use one of those usernames as your admin then it will hit the amount of failed login attempts and lock you out for a while.
So never use the obvious username "admin”.

You can empty the customer_login table if it happens as that would reset the failed attemp counts.
There is a post from Neuhoff to just block posts to /admin/ when the get array is empty. Maybe someone can find it and post it

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by xxvirusxx » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:22 pm

by mona wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:56 pm
There is a post from Neuhoff to just block posts to /admin/ when the get array is empty. Maybe someone can find it and post it
viewtopic.php?f=179&t=225771

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by by mona » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:42 am

thank you ;)

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member