Post by GWShop » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:15 am

Can someone from the development team give an explanation on why you have put 32 characters limit for this thing?

First, you haven't included 2 order status names:
- Paid from customer and waiting for distributor availability
- Paid from customer and also paid to the distributor

So how am I supposed to edit the order status name to give both myself and the customer this explanation?

Why is the reason of putting only 32 characters limit on this?

Attachments

order-status-name.jpg

order-status-name.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 10203 times

Post by Johnathan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:59 pm

It's probably just an oversight. If you want to make that limit higher, you need to do two things:

1. Change the column type on the "name" column of the "order_status" database table from VARCHAR(32) to something higher like VARCHAR(64).

2. Modify the code that checks for that limit, like this:

Code: Select all

IN:
/admin/controller/localisation/order_status.php

REPLACE:
if ((utf8_strlen($value['name']) < 3) || (utf8_strlen($value['name']) > 32)) {

WITH:
if ((utf8_strlen($value['name']) < 3)) {

That will remove any limit from the form check. Just keep in mind that it will still get cut off based on the VARCHAR length you set, so it will need to be between 32 and 255 characters. If you want it higher, you'd change the column type to TEXT instead.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by GWShop » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:41 am

Can you implement it on the next Opencart update then?

Because there are multiple things like this which we have to change via code everytime we upgrade Opencart.

Thank you.

Post by Johnathan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:22 pm

I don't control the OpenCart code, so while I can put in a request to have this changed, it would be up to Daniel (the OpenCart owner). Since he designed it this way, I doubt he's willing to change it without a lot of people requesting it.

However, if you need to make a change outside the core files, try using vQmod or ocMod to do it. That way it exists outside the actual file, but can make changes to your installation. This is how most extensions work that need to do core file changes, so they aren't affected by upgrading OpenCart.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by straightlight » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:03 pm

Or, with the use of Events.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by mikeinterserv » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:40 pm

GWShop wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:15 am
Can someone from the development team give an explanation on why you have put 32 characters limit for this thing?

First, you haven't included 2 order status names:
- Paid from customer and waiting for distributor availability
- Paid from customer and also paid to the distributor

So how am I supposed to edit the order status name to give both myself and the customer this explanation?

Why is the reason of putting only 32 characters limit on this?
Well you can add whatever order status is required for your business - so your point is completely invalid.
99% of the time the 32 character limit is adequate.
It is very easy to overcome your problems, when you get your head around how to use opencart you will realise you made a fuss about nothing
ie you want -waiting for distributor availability - use - waiting on distributor to lessen characters required, just shorten the text someway it is far simpler and easier than messing about with the code.

Location - Wales

Post by victorj » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:08 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:40 pm

Well you can add whatever order status is required for your business - so your point is completely invalid.
99% of the time the 32 character limit is adequate.
It is very easy to overcome your problems, when you get your head around how to use opencart you will realise you made a fuss about nothing
ie you want -waiting for distributor availability - use - waiting on distributor to lessen characters required, just shorten the text someway it is far simpler and easier than messing about with the code.
Bullshit
Perhaps in english.
In Dutch and various other languages 32 character limit is far to short.

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by straightlight » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:24 am

Most providers requires order statuses to be lookup in English on anyhow.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by victorj » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:49 am

straightlight wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:24 am
Wake up !!!
More people in this world do speak a language other than english.
the world is bigger as you think.
in europe native langauge is required.

Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.

Expert Member

Post by mikeinterserv » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:20 am

OK we get it
You never heard of abbreviations before ?
Anyway it is very easy to change the character limit to whatever you want.

Location - Wales

Post by victorj » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:20 am
OK we get it
Been there done that.
Opencart is developed by developers, and used by commercialy driven users.
Opencart is a sales platform.
So opencart should be developed how a salesman wants his site to work, not how a developer thinks it should be used.

So if someone states 32 characters aint enough, a developer should not say yes its enough, he or she just has to increase a amount of characters.
I am running a webshop and started with oc 1.4, my webshop is highly modified to suit my needs, and in this yourney i did contact many developers.
Most of them just are not capable of delivering what i needed, Because they don't understand how ecomerce works.
if you would take a look at my order status list, it realy is a long list and you would understand dutch, than it would make sens that 32 charaters is at least 40 characters to short.
what is the problem of expanding these fields to 64 /90 or even 128/256 caracters, database getting bigger, who cares

I realy am very interested what the reason is developers think these stupid limits should be used.

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:01 am

victorj wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 am
mikeinterserv wrote:
OK we get it
Been there done that.
So opencart should be developed how a salesman wants his site to work, not how a developer thinks it should be used.

So if someone states 32 characters aint enough, a developer should not say yes its enough, he or she just has to increase a amount of characters.
I am running a webshop and started with oc 1.4, my webshop is highly modified to suit my needs, and in this yourney i did contact many developers.
Most of them just are not capable of delivering what i needed, Because they don't understand how ecomerce works.
if you would take a look at my order status list, it realy is a long list and you would understand dutch, than it would make sens that 32 charaters is at least 40 characters to short.
what is the problem of expanding these fields to 64 /90 or even 128/256 caracters, database getting bigger, who cares

I realy am very interested what the reason is developers think these stupid limits should be used.
Simple. Database fields size aren't unlimited either.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by straightlight » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:04 am

victorj wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:49 am
straightlight wrote:
Wake up !!!
No one is prevented to use their own language keys matched with the English language from the controllers still when developing their extensions.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by victorj » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 am

straightlight wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:04 am
victorj wrote:
straightlight wrote:
Wake up !!!
No one is prevented to use their own language keys matched with the English language from the controllers still when developing their extensions.
Stop thinking in your own little world.
start thinking outside the box, try to understand needs from people who rely use the product, and act to and think what they need

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:14 am

victorj wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 am
straightlight wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:04 am
victorj wrote:

Wake up !!!
Stop thinking in your own little world.
start thinking outside the box, try to understand needs from people who rely use the product, and act to and think what they need
Well, you could argue all you want about it but the reality is that whatever's restricted in there is up to the OC developers to decide. It's been like that since the beginning and that won't seem to change no matter what ways you may choose to address the issue.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by mikeinterserv » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:30 am

victorj wrote:
Been there done that.

Well as a developer some db fields are limited, depends on the use etc.
I can see you need more characters, clearly. That is NOT a problem for even an inexperienced developer to solve, as you say you have.
The majority of users have no problem with it or adapt it to their needs. I don't understand why your so upset about it.
BTW try WELSH its beyond Dutch :-)

Also DBs should be designed to be as compact and efficient as possible hence limits. Adapted to ones needs

Location - Wales

Post by GWShop » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:29 am

+1.000 to Victorj
victorj wrote:
mikeinterserv wrote:
Johnathan wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:22 pm
I don't control the OpenCart code, so while I can put in a request to have this changed, it would be up to Daniel (the OpenCart owner). Since he designed it this way, I doubt he's willing to change it without a lot of people requesting it.

However, if you need to make a change outside the core files, try using vQmod or ocMod to do it. That way it exists outside the actual file, but can make changes to your installation. This is how most extensions work that need to do core file changes, so they aren't affected by upgrading OpenCart.
Did you put a request please for future version changes?
It's not convenient having to change 5-10 stuff after every update that we do.

Thank you.

Post by mikeinterserv » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:49 am

GWShop wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:29 am
+1.000 to Victorj
victorj wrote:
To keep DB's compact and efficient, prevent abuse, etc etc etc.

YOU are allowed to make a DB just any way you want - just how you like it, same as anybody else, so what's the problem.
Search the forum - what your complaining about does NOT exist for 99.99% and if anyone had an issue then they just fixed it.

Location - Wales

Post by victorj » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:15 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:49 am

YOU are allowed to make a DB just any way you want - just how you like it, same as anybody else, so what's the problem.
Search the forum - what your complaining about does NOT exist for 99.99% and if anyone had an issue then they just fixed it.
From a programming point of view you are right.
From a commercial user view youre wrong.

Opencart is a commercial product used by commercial driven people who want to sell and make a profit.
Opencart is produced by people are technical minded.

Here lies the problem, (most) developers are not thinking in ecommerce and certainly lack expierience in actually generating money and running and maintaining a online store, and everything related with running a live store.

I know my way around OC, and am capable of doing what is needed to make my shop suit my needs.

As you can see, i have been around this forum for a pretty long time, and have seen that this forum once very lively with numerous posts and helpfull community, willing to help anyone with a problem, has fallen down to almost dead, since certain developers took over the roll of moderator.

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:31 am

victorj wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:15 am
mikeinterserv wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:49 am

From a programming point of view you are right.
From a commercial user view youre wrong.

Opencart is a commercial product used by commercial driven people who want to sell and make a profit.
Opencart is produced by people are technical minded.

Here lies the problem, (most) developers are not thinking in ecommerce and certainly lack expierience in actually generating money and running and maintaining a online store, and everything related with running a live store.

I know my way around OC, and am capable of doing what is needed to make my shop suit my needs.

As you can see, i have been around this forum for a pretty long time, and have seen that this forum once very lively with numerous posts and helpfull community, willing to help anyone with a problem, has fallen down to almost dead, since certain developers took over the roll of moderator.
- I am not entirely sure on what this means since Opencart is a free Open Source platform delivered out-of-the-box from Opencart.com and always has been.

- As for took over part, I am not sure what this means either since the Commercial Support section of the forum and the forum supporters providing their assistance, either freely or for Commercial purposes, did not stopped them from anything regardless of the moderators who did came along in the past. With that being said, I mean ...; I've been around on the forum for a long time myself and I haven't seen any limitations on that side.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON