Post by TheLizard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi

How do the new OpenCart Product Filters work? The OpenCart Wiki has not been updated and there is no documentation on it - Daniel has been asked on comments before about it. No response.. The new OpenCart 1.5.5 has "Product Filters"

Catalog > Filters

I have added some and save some groups called Colours, with Red and Black but there is no association options on the product page - what are they.. how do they work?

It is like www.gorgeouscouture.com/shop or like this: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... t%20filter

Post by syntax_error » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 pm

but there is no association options on the product page
Look carefully, there is.

Post by TheLizard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 pm

The association so far only exists on Categories

catalog -> categories -> edit -> Product filters (autocomplete)

However they don't show up on the ecommerce pages of the category shop... and also they're not on the product page.. can you explain what they are.. looks like bloated and un-need code - should have worked with an existing mod.. and officially implemented into the system...

Post by syntax_error » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 am

The association so far only exists on Categories
Look carefully. I don't know which version of Opencart you are using.. but if it's v1.5.5.1, then for products, under the LINK tab, you could add product filters via autocomplete.

Post by Pamella » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 am

yes ;-) but nothing seems displayed at front store !

NB: Enabled module but nothing :-( anywhere

OC 3.0.3.7 EN (default theme) running on PHP 7.3 MariaDB 10.3 Linux / Apache 2.4

Post by labeshops » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 am

Having the same issue. I installed 1.5.5.1 fresh on localhost and cannot get filters to display on the front end of the store.

Ok, right after I posted the above, I figured it out.

If you want product filters to show on a category, you have to add the filters to the edit > category > data and enable the module on the category page.

So I am assuming that the filters you assign on the product itself allows that product to be found under that filter if you then use the filter on the category page? In other words, can you assign a filter to a product that doesn't have that item as option on that product? For example, some of my shoes only come in black so I don't use and option color > black for just the single choice. So the mod I've been using in 1.5.2 doesn't show that black only shoe if I filter by color. With this new feature in 1.5.5.1, can I assign the filter color > black to a shoe that only comes in black without giving it an option and still have it show in the filters when black is selected?

Hope that makes sense... hard to explain some things :P But if this is the case, I'm loving 1.5.5!

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by madimar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm

...trying to understand these new product filters too!

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by labeshops » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Okay, I *thinK* I figured it out. Question is now if I can explain it! lol

Step 1: Set up the filters you want to use on your store. This is done in catalog > filters. These are created the same way you create product options, however they do NOT appear on the product pages. They are sort of hidden options - used internally but not seen by your customers. Since some of my stores sell shoes, I'll use them as an example: I might set up filters for shoe sizes, colors, heel height, platform and material - the main things a customer might look for.

Step 2: Edit or add a category and set the filters you want to include in that category on the data tab. It uses autocomplete so if you have set up a filter for color > black, start typing black and it will find it. (sorry forgot this step at first :P)

Step 3: Create a product and on the Links tab, specify the filters you defined that apply to that product. It uses autocomplete so if you have set up a filter for color > black, start typing black and it will find it. Add as many as you want to the product (remember these do not have to be options you have on the product - for my example, I don't set a color option for shoes that only come in black but I can set a filter for color > black and the filters in the front end will include it (other product filter addons I had for 1.5.2 did NOT do this). And I can set a heel height filter that would never be an option on a single style of shoes.

Step 4: Install module > filters and add it to your category pages.

Done!

I actually think this is the best new feature since I started using opencart 1.5.0! Haven't experimented with filtering by price and don't think it will do a price slider like other filtering options do, but it should let you set price ranges in filters and use them as above. It is an extra thing to set up, but honestly, is a lot more powerful since it doesn't just use visible options :)

(Edited to add step 2 :P )

Update: I now have filters completed for my shoes so you can see them in action here http://www.shoeoodles.com/womens-shoes- ... reme-shoes

Note that I restyled the filter module a bit myself and also use 3 free extensions:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=16099 so I can skip step 2 above and it will pull filters set up on the products in that category so you don't have to add each one to the category

and 2 I naturally cannot find right now: 1 that enables 1 click so you can check on/off a filter without having to use the "apply" button and 1 that fixes the logic of the filters so you can have AND between groups and OR on selections between the groups.

I also added a clear all filters which I discussed in another forum topic.
Last edited by labeshops on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Pamella » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:57 am

Many thanks to labeshops to take time for this attempt ;-) even if I'm not native English, I 'll try to understand tomorrow... read it and ;-) check all that... after a good night

OC 3.0.3.7 EN (default theme) running on PHP 7.3 MariaDB 10.3 Linux / Apache 2.4

Post by bwingwing » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks for your explanation labeshops!! I still couldn't get it and use the filter function well. Any further step by step example would be helpful , if there are anybody who know how to use the filer function. Please share!! Thank you so much!!

Post by thatsme » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Well its very simple.

Filters normally appear on category pages, where you get options to search products based on like their color, size, price etc. to do this you need to first

- create filters using Catalog -> Filters
- set filter on category page by typing (auto complete) filter value name
- then set same filter on product page using Product -> Links -> Filter
- Install filter module using Extensions -> Modules -> Filter and place on category layout
- Open category page you will see filter on left

Make sure you set filter for same category product, any other category will not appear. It could have been better if they had made a provision for creating filter sets and an option for attaching them to category pages rather than repeating manual addition of filters again n again.

I tried setting up filters on my site BLISS Infosoft but later removed.

I found this feature is in highly basic condition, and right now its useless and very time consuming, its better you purchase some mods to filter products.

Consumer Forum - Online Petitions

Location - India

Post by sliponera » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:33 pm

So, this filter feature is very good however i have tested it and...
Let's say I have got
* shoes no.1 available colours black and brown - size 5,6,7 (each colour)
* shoes no. 2 colour black - size 3,4,5

I want to find only brown shoes size 5, so I tick colour: brown and size:5
The filtering result is: shoes no.1 and shoes no.2 which is wrong, becaue shoes no.2 is available just in black.

It seems that there should be the operator (in the source code) change from "or" to "and"

At the moment this is showing all products of size 5 and all products of brown colour.

Any ideas how to fix it?

http://www.slippers4you.com - women's mules and sheepskin slippers for men

Post by choccybox » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Having the same problem here.

It's a really good feature, but pretty much rendered useless for me without some kind of setting which allows you to choose between "and" or "or" as a way of filtering the products from different filter groups on the same category page.

Is there any way to change this to "and", so that if you tick filters from two or more filter groups only the products that match all of the checked filters will show?
Last edited by choccybox on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:07 pm

I haven't experimented with filters yet, but soon I'll have to implement some sort of a solution for a filtered search like this:

http://www.77diamonds.com/round-cut-diamond.html

I tend to think that a filtered search based on dependent options (there is an OpenCart addon for the latter from Qphoria, isn't there?) is more intuitive and more useful.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by choccybox » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:57 pm

But what about if your products have no options, but lots of specs and are in the same category? That is certainly what I have and this new filter is brilliant for adding the specs to the category page to filter the products down.

Only problem is, as mentioned above, it won't display only results that match all checked filters from two or more filter groups. Unless I'm missing something here?

Post by sliponera » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:30 am

I agree with chockybox, the filter based on options would not be a good idea, for example in my case I have got options including two features - colour and size, but they would need to be split in the filter box.
The easiest solution would be just to change from "or" to "and", is this really so difficult to achieve?

http://www.slippers4you.com - women's mules and sheepskin slippers for men

Post by Todd Young » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 am

I'd agree with a few replies above and summarize that this is a phenomenal "first step" which will be helpful to some, but needs the next logical improvements to occur before it's ready for prime-time.

Having to duplicate attributes/options/etc, or not having logical operators, or not having bulk/mass update features would make this an excruciating exercise for all but the simplest of stores. But it lays the groundwork for something much bigger. Thanks for all the effort and let's keep rippin' and tearin' - OpenCart is going to eat the other guys' lunch!

Post by Q000 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I recently updated to 1.5.5.1 from 1.4.7 ... mainly for for new feature "filters"
on first atempt to create a filter everything worked great, i activated the module "Filter", added some test filters, inserted into Category, checked the front-end, everything was as expected.

Since the test was flawless i deleted test filters and i tried to create some for good, everything good till here. The issues starts on Categories / Products. When you start typing the filter name and the autocomplet doesn't fire up so no dropdown box, no way to add filters. Strange thing is that happens only for filters, everyother autocomplete integration works great (Category > Parent, Products > Links > Manufacturer, Categories, Related Products, etc).

Since is was just a test installation i deleted everything including the database and installed a fresh opencart but no joy ... no dropdown box for filter autocomplete.

Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks !

Post by Jez D » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:52 am

Another issue with this is that the link in Admin menu to catalog->filter seems to be missing. Initially I thought that I may have removed it from header.tpl when I was customising the admin. But then I noticed that it was also missing from the controller and language file, and I knew that I would not have removed it from there.

Web Developer ( & Firefighter)
Web Development, Web Content Management, Mobile Web Design, Android Apps

www.webdesign-plus.co.uk

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Jez D » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Q000 wrote:When you start typing the filter name and the autocomplet doesn't fire up so no dropdown box, no way to add filters. Strange thing is that happens only for filters, everyother autocomplete integration works great (Category > Parent, Products > Links > Manufacturer, Categories, Related Products, etc).
!
Have you tried typing the last part of the filter?
If your filter is 'Size > Massive' just type 'Massive'

Let me know if this works for you, as it worked for me.

Web Developer ( & Firefighter)
Web Development, Web Content Management, Mobile Web Design, Android Apps

www.webdesign-plus.co.uk

Location - United Kingdom