Post by KatGirl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 am

Hi Guys

My problem is this: I have my default currency AUD and I offer EUR, GBP & US for website pricing. I assumed offering multiple currencies was to assist international customers with currency conversions.

I received an order today in EUR rather than AUD. Can someone please advise:

1) If my default currency is AUD why I received an order in EURO? I also received payment in EURO which was converted by PayPal to default currency. So basically I lost even more money with the conversion.

2) If my default currency is AUD why isn't the optional currencies being converted to AUD before reaching PayPal?

Version: 1.5.3.1

Thanks!

Post by Avvici » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Currency conversions is done at your bank...or "the" bank. Optional currencies on the website is just for esthetic purposes to suit the buyer. You and your merchant account are responsible for what happens to the currency once it hits your bank. For example if I am selling to a person in the UK I might want to offer pound sterling on the site but once it hits my bank it can be whatever it needs to be to suit me...the seller.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by KatGirl » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:36 am

I'm using PayPal not a bank.

If my default currency is Australian Dollars, why did I receive payment for an order in EURO?

Edit: If what you say is correct, and the optional currencies are there merely esthetics, how then did a customer purchase goods from me in a currency that is NOT default?

Post by Avvici » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 am

Doesn't matter what your shop says. When the customer goes to paypal he/she will pay with whatever they can pay with. Pay Pal should do the conversion to YOUR currency and you will recieve that in your account.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC