Post by Dana » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure how to go about this, so I'd appreciate any help. I use clean install 1.5.4.1. Here's my problem:

I'd like a store in two different languages, BUT I need them to be indexable separately for each language. Let's say:
1) myshop.com in my primary language
2) myenglishshop.com in english

I don't want a language switcher on 1), as I'd have to enter product names in both languages *and* then have the english version of the product. I'd have to enter both languages in the admin area, which just makes it redundant.

My question is, in this case is it better to just have two different installations of OC (get two separate webhostings, databases and everything), or will somehow multi-store work for this without that hassle?

Thanks in advance!

Post by Avvici » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:17 pm

I am not sure I understand you. You really are talking about doing the same thing regardless? Even if you have a different installation you will be setting up the description, name, tags, etc for that product so it's same amount of work (if not more)

It is common practice for larger eCommerce websites to have different websites for different languages however but I wouldn't call your reason a good enough reason ;)

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by Dana » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 pm

After much consideration, I will be using the multi-store, and have another domain pointed to the english version of the shop. I don't have cPanel though, so I'm not sure how to point that subdomain to the document root of the main domain. Should I ask my webhosting provider or can I somehow do it myself (for ex. via htaccess)?