Post by sergio123 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:02 am

My website lists products in Canadian dollars. When American customers buy something they do not realize they are buying in Canadian dollars and they get upset to see that they are being charged extra on top of the listed price. This was not a problem when the US dollar was higher and they ended up paying less then the listed price but now the US dollar is worth less then a CDN dollar and it is a big problem.

There must be a fey different solutions. I would love to hear some.

Thank you,
Sergio123

Post by OpenCart Addons » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:29 am

I too sell in CAD, so what I did was add "CAD" to the end of my currency.

This indicates that all prices are in CAD, so there are no surprises during checkout.

It's nice to finally have our currency worth a little bit more than the USD, eh?

Cheers,
Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by sergio123 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:23 am

Thanks Joel. The CAD dollar higher then the US is actually bad for me I drop ship from a supplier in the US. My US made products cost me less but I can't mark them up as much because other US sellers are so cheap. I'd rather pay a little more and mark up a lot more then buy cheap and have a low resale. Oh well.

I'm wondering if you know of anybody who has two separate online stores, one for Canadian shoppers and one for US shoppers?

Post by OpenCart Addons » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:55 pm

All the clients I've worked for in Canada either use CAD or USD. None of them have a separate store.

Have you thought about creating a secondary USD currency that customers can switch to? This way they won't be surprised to see the price difference when they go to pay for it.

Regards,
Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by milezteg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am

How can you add CDN to end of all prices?

Post by Qphoria » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:03 pm

First of all.. you Canuckleheads need to learn your own currency code... The international standard organization has deemed your currency as "CAD".. not "CAN" .... not "CDN".... not "CND".... or any other silliness.

If you use anything other than "CAD" for your store, you will end up with lots of problems for things like currency conversion, auto updates of the exchange rates, shipping pricing errors, etc.

Administrator

Post by milezteg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:05 am

Actually I did have the proper ISO code as CAD in my install and always have. I was referring to the front end and appending CAD to the end of all prices for cosmetic reasons, so US customers know they're dealing in CAD dollars. ANy idea how to do this?

Post by chulann » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:21 am

If I understand your question right, just use Localization ->Currencies->Symbol Right->"CAD".
I prefer to just use the symbol left and use "C$" and "US$" respectively. Had no complaints so far.
I have both currencies enabled, so customers can order in whichever they prefer.

Post by milezteg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Ahhh no idea why I didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip :-)

Post by TomTesla » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:45 pm

oh, my. seems you running main-domain with CDN, normally you can use CDN only for static resources which would avoid to made this problem.

recently i created an general CDN solution for opencart, if you interesting, you can get detail from this topic
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 19#p467919

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:48 pm

TomTesla wrote:oh, my. seems you running main-domain with CDN, normally you can use CDN only for static resources which would avoid to made this problem.

recently i created an general CDN solution for opencart, if you interesting, you can get detail from this topic
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 19#p467919
I'm thinking I should ban you for this ridiculously spammed comment that has nothing to do with the topic but generalized on a key word from the title that doesn't mean what you think it means. READ POSTS BEFORE REPLYING!

Administrator