Post by upl8t » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Looking to display one predetermined category of products on the home page. I realize there are several options available such as the best seller, featured and latest modules. The problem is that they change the display. I'm looking for the ability to display the products exactly the way they'd show if you had clicked on a category on the menu.

Any suggestions on how to do this?
Last edited by upl8t on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by voca » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi,
I wanted to display 4 random products on my homepage at www.faxcare.net.au. What I did was copied "featured poducts" code and renamed as "random products". The I just changed the models select query to display random result.
You could do the same except change the models query to return products for your chosen category.
Cheers
Kym

Post by upl8t » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks Kym. I tried this earlier. It will pull the products ok but the formatting is completely different than the normal category displays. Plus it's missing the title, description, sorts etc. I've done some further digging and it is possible to create a new controller and template using the category controller template as a starting point. It is messy though.