Post by sb12759 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 am

I switched the setting in the admin to 'yes' for using SEO URL's. I'm having some issues!
First, I checked with my web host to make sure I had the apache module mod-rewrite installed and they said said yes and it looks like my htaccess.txt was already changed to .htaccess.
When you click on the menu at the top of my page (on the categories) some of them work and a few of them seem to be getting a 404 error! I had changed the main categories. For example my first category is Bedroom and when you click on it it goes to www.mydomain.com/desktops !!! And I get a 404 error! Desktops I think is the original default category that comes with a new install of open cart right? But other menu items that I have change seem to work right - It will go to a path like --
http://www.mydomain.com/index.php?route ... ry&path=18 , which I guess is weird too because that path doesn't seem any different from when I had the setting set to 'NO' (for using SEO URL's)
So seems like something wierd is going on here.
Can anybody help? Thanks!

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri May 18, 2012 4:58 am

Post by dirtboy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 am

to use seo urls follow these steps

1. rename the .htaccess.txt to .htaccess and make sure the information is correct. if its not correct find the correct information here http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=59218 this post has the original htaccess contents.

2. turn on seo urls in admin > system > settings > store > server

3. use a mod or manually enter SEO Keyword in products > data tab

these keywords are what is used for the seo urls, if you do not enter them you will not have seo friendly urls.

there are many mods that will fill these in based on the title, category, brand.. you can choose which ones you want to use. search the extensions for seo url.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.”
- Henry Ford


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Post by sb12759 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks! That did the trick! For some reason my .htaccess file was there already (I've never done anything with this) but the contents was only:
# Use PHP5 Single php.ini as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5s .php
And that's it!
So I replaced that with the 'original contents' and then everything worked fine!

Thanks!

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri May 18, 2012 4:58 am
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 63 guests