Post by sgh77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:31 am

merry wrote:
sgh77 wrote:NEED HELP!!! Hi I want to have a wholesale arm and retail arm selling our products, I want the same website but different domains and looks, I have purchased the book mentioned above but it doesn't work on my Window 8 Laptop. I have created another store, and the next step is to install a new template for the second store, I am afraid of destroying our functioning website by lack of knowledge... can someone tell me where and how I create this store... oh and by the way the new store is not set up as a subdirectory or sub domain, as listed above.
SGH, Windows 8 is not officially released yet, so many thousands of programs including the ebook program are furiously trying to get certified. I NEVER recommend using any beta or alpha operating system - or any other beta or alpha program - until it has been officially released and all the kinks worked out of it.

The user manual is available on Amazon.com, or, you could download it to a Windows 7 system and print a copy for yourself.

I highly recommend taking the time to get the manual because you are making multi-store MUCH harder than it really is, you do not need to install two separate copies of OpenCart. You can also install several templates in any store (since only one is selected at any one time) OR use the generic template that is included with OpenCart. When I said "install a new template" I should have said IF YOU WANT THE SECOND STORE TO LOOK DIFFERENT. That was an assumption on my part, that you want the two stores to look different. If you want the stores to look the same, you do not need to install a different template.

Hope that helps!
Kerry
Thank you for replying,
I am wanting two different looks, two totally different domain names, I was just wondering where I install the second template without wiping over the first one, (if both domains names are working off the same store directory)

Also I have already purchased your book, its unfair that I would have to purchase it again? Print it out? It has too many pages to print out.

All I need is to set up this 2nd store and I am done!

Post by merry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 am

robster wrote:Hey Merry

When you going to update that fine book to 1.5.4.1? :)
you do not need to install two separate copies of OpenCart

really? I thought that was how multistores work. I really must read the book now that I have bought it..... hehe

Rob
Hey Robster, your life will be happier and easier when you read the book. :-D

I am ALMOST DONE with the free Updater for 1.5.4.1! The Administrative changes for users are minimal: just two additional shipping methods, one additional payment method, a new report and a new function (searchable fields). The current manual remains accurate, and everyone whether they have bought the user manual or not can get the free updater. Watch for a separate post announcing that it's ready.

Merry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Location - Mexico and sometimes Texas

Post by labeshops » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:48 am

sgh77 wrote: Thank you for replying,
I am wanting two different looks, two totally different domain names, I was just wondering where I install the second template without wiping over the first one, (if both domains names are working off the same store directory)

Also I have already purchased your book, its unfair that I would have to purchase it again? Print it out? It has too many pages to print out.

All I need is to set up this 2nd store and I am done!
All you need for a totally different looking store is a template - find one you like, copy it to the catalog/view folder, tell store 2 to use it via settings in admin, then create layouts for it so you can control which modules show on which store. I always do 3 layouts - Storename Home, Storename Category (which I set as default in settings) and Storename Product which gives me great flexibility per store. Then just have fun customizing the layout via its stylesheet and templates to be exactly what you want.

It's really easier than you probably think :)

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by sgh77 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 am

Is it fair to say the reason why none of my attempts to get my second store showing is because I haven't got the second domain transferred across to it yet?

Post by labeshops » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:49 pm

sgh77 wrote:Is it fair to say the reason why none of my attempts to get my second store showing is because I haven't got the second domain transferred across to it yet?
Not sure what you mean. If you mean dns setup, then yes, it wouldn't show if you haven't set up dns for that domain name yet.

Here is the step by step guide that works for most people: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=27538

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by kenny.lau » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 pm

I tested multi-store and proved that registered in store1 can login into store2. And when login into store1 and put a product into the shopping cart will carry into store2, which will be a problem if you want to market a product in store1 and not in store2. I found someone selling an extension to have 1 cart maps to 1 store. That leads me into a puzzle since I found another extension to let you carry shopping cart from store1 to store2. Am I missing something?

Post by aviatedman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 am

merry wrote:Hi Diane,

Yes, OpenCart can run two different stores from the same Admin and cart.

Here are the instructions from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual:

Setting up two stores is, well, more than twice as complex as setting up one. We really, really recommend that you use a technical pro. Very little of it is done in your Admin - the majority is domain and web host work. If you must do it, here is how.
1. First install and set up Store #1. You will need to purchase a "Wildcard" or multi-domain security certificate to cover multiple stores. We recommend that you purchase the Wildcard SSL Certificate from your web host to make it as easy as possible! Ask your web host if you need help. We will call this Domain1.
2. Buy another domain name (We'll call this Domain2) and set the name server to go to the same name server as your existing OpenCart store. Again, we recommend that you purchase your domain name from your web host to make it as easy as possible. Ask your web host if you need help.

In your web host's cPanel or other control panel, Domains - Add-On Domains section, add Domain2 and point it to the same folder as Domain1, example, public_html/store (substitute your own path for the path shown here). Ask your web host if you need help.
3. Install a different template for the second store so it will be easy to tell the two stores apart.
4. Ask your web host to install domain2's wildcard certificate.
5. NOW you are ready to add this to your store's Admin! In your store Admin's SYSTEM - Settings list, click the top right INSERT Button. Follow the instructions above for the SYSTEM - Settings - General, using Domain2 instead of Domain1. Be sure to click the SAVE Button.

TIP: Instead of two different domains, you can use two different "sub-domains" like horses.petpalace.com and dogs.petpalace.com, or austin.mystore.com and atlanta.mystore.com. This is just a domain record setting at your domain registrar. Contact your domain registrar for help.

Hope that helps,
Merry
--------------------------

Hi Merry. So basically, when you create one store, what ever you design is visible. But if you want 2 or more stores, your default becomes "ignored" and used primarily as the admin connection only? And the 2 new templates you designed are to become your 2 new front end stores? I've been working on getting multistores setup for 4 days now! And not just random times, 10+ hrs per day for 4 days! This is getting annoying and I'm a web developer! ::)

Something with OC structure is not making sense. I have my original questions posted here if this will help you, help me?!
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=95237

Post by aviatedman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Yea, I JUST figured it out!! :D
I KNEW I was messing something up! :crazy:

In my cpanel, I was clicking Addon Domain. You only do that IF you are using multiple domains that you have purchased. So for anyone else like myself coming across this post, follow the instructions on this thread:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 9&p=182231

UNLESS you are creating your site like mine with subdirectories! Then the ONLY difference in instructions from the thread pasted on this post, is in your cpanel, choose Subdomain and not Addon Domain. On the server side, there IS a difference!

Post by labeshops » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 pm

congrats on figuring it out! :)

Yes, there is a difference in subdomain and addon domain. I'll add a line in my original post :)

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by modernmagic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:19 am

I have successfully set up a multistore.

Now I need a shared cart between the 2 stores.

It appears that the only extension is: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... art&page=3

But there is lots of complaining in the comments that the developer has not responded since April 7th 2013.

Does anyone know of another solution?

Joomla Web Site Designer at www.modernmagic.com

Post by axmiamm » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:27 am

Hello all,

I am setting you a multistore with shared client database (log in), cart and shared session in same hosting and different domains.

By using the default implementation of OC, I can achieve the multistore with shared client database and cart persistance but since the session is defined with cookies by using diferent domains that session is lost... I cannot see the extension you mentioned during this post...

Anyone know how to solve this? By the way, I am using oc v.1.5.6.

Thank you in advance!

Post by donisleno » Fri May 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Very Easy Solution! Share the login session across the subdomains

1. OPEN FILE: system/library/session.php
2. FIND LINE: session_set_cookie_params(0, '/');
3. APPEND : session_set_cookie_params(0, '/','**.DOMAIN.COM**);

Make sure to include the period **"."** before DOMAIN.COM

That's it... Now login sessions started on **www.domain.com** is shared with **www.sub.domain.com**