Post by hmf » Thu May 31, 2012 2:22 am

Hi all,

I am wondering if I can have two separate stores that use the same shopping cart.

We are an event company and one of our events has a title sponsor that is different than the other events. In our old webstore we had two layouts as the title sponsor is specific about their branding.

Ideally though we'd like to let people shop both sides, so to speak, but into one shopping cart as we do have repeat customers across events.

At the moment I have the store set up as 2 different top level categories (ie Event 1 and Event Others) but only having one logo or the other is going to be an issue.

I'm hoping multi-store setup will help, or perhaps another mod. Or should I be looking in the Layers section? If I can make each section have its own banners that may solve the problem.

I hope this makes sense - thanks so much!
Diane

hmf

Post by merry » Thu May 31, 2012 6:18 am

Hi Diane,

Yes, OpenCart can run two different stores from the same Admin and cart.

Here are the instructions from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual:

Setting up two stores is, well, more than twice as complex as setting up one. We really, really recommend that you use a technical pro. Very little of it is done in your Admin - the majority is domain and web host work. If you must do it, here is how.
1. First install and set up Store #1. You will need to purchase a "Wildcard" or multi-domain security certificate to cover multiple stores. We recommend that you purchase the Wildcard SSL Certificate from your web host to make it as easy as possible! Ask your web host if you need help. We will call this Domain1.
2. Buy another domain name (We'll call this Domain2) and set the name server to go to the same name server as your existing OpenCart store. Again, we recommend that you purchase your domain name from your web host to make it as easy as possible. Ask your web host if you need help.

In your web host's cPanel or other control panel, Domains - Add-On Domains section, add Domain2 and point it to the same folder as Domain1, example, public_html/store (substitute your own path for the path shown here). Ask your web host if you need help.
3. Install a different template for the second store so it will be easy to tell the two stores apart.
4. Ask your web host to install domain2's wildcard certificate.
5. NOW you are ready to add this to your store's Admin! In your store Admin's SYSTEM - Settings list, click the top right INSERT Button. Follow the instructions above for the SYSTEM - Settings - General, using Domain2 instead of Domain1. Be sure to click the SAVE Button.

TIP: Instead of two different domains, you can use two different "sub-domains" like horses.petpalace.com and dogs.petpalace.com, or austin.mystore.com and atlanta.mystore.com. This is just a domain record setting at your domain registrar. Contact your domain registrar for help.

Hope that helps,
Merry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Location - Mexico and sometimes Texas

Post by hmf » Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Mary! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. In all my searching, I couldn't determine if I would be able to use the same cart or not!

So we have this option...... (multi-store). I would do a subdomain here.

I think we could do this using layouts? Where we make the pages in that category section look completely different

Or we can always do a subdomain of the one we have the store in now, and make a completely different store. The sponsor is a large corporation and they are very particular about their logos etc so this may make the most sense for them even though it's not really what we'd like.

If you have any thoughts on multi-store vs layouts I'd love to hear them! Thanks again,
Diane

hmf

Post by merry » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 pm

You are welcome, Diane,

Yes you can change the categories with layouts.

Feel free to keep posting your questions as you go. You will love this cart.

Merry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Post by hmf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 am

I had Cubecart for my own store for awhile. Ended up disabling it 2 years ago. I really am enjoying working with this one!

Thanks for your help. :)

Diane

hmf

Post by merry » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 am

hmf wrote:I had Cubecart for my own store for awhile. Ended up disabling it 2 years ago. I really am enjoying working with this one!

Thanks for your help. :)

Diane
Wow! Yeah, OpenCart is WAY better and "funner."

Merry

Post by tblarson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 am

how to setup if install in /public_html, not public_html/store??

Post by sgh77 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 am

merry wrote: 3. Install a different template for the second store so it will be easy to tell the two stores apart.
What does that mean? Install another template

Im wanting the same opencart selling the same products, however I am wanting two different domains with their own distinctive front pages.

I have created two stores in the admin settings, and I've chosen the products to show on both domains, now I need to create the distinctive looking 2nd domain so i can transfer the domain.

Just stuck on how to create this second template? and where to create it!

When I go to the second store it says... The page you requested cannot be found!

I haven't got a reply from you and its been over 10days now with no solution!! Can you help please?

Post by robster » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm

I have many opencart stores running in live environments but today I am building a multiple store jobbie.

I understand from Merry in this post and her wonderful user manual that I purchased (although a 1.5.4.1 update would be good Merry) that both stores can use same admin and cart but my question is this please:

Assuming customer Fred Bloggs registers on store 1, can he then use store 2 without having to re-register or in other words does his registration cover both stores?

Many thanks - and an additional thanks for the manual Merry!

Robster

I know my place...!

Location - North Yorkshire, UK

Post by labeshops » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey Robster

Yes, the registration covers all stores, though by default the cart doesn't carry over from one store to another. I believe I saw an extension to allow it too - cannot find it again though naturally :P

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by robster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 am

Hey labeshops

Thanks for the reply. Hmm confused now as Merry states in her answer to the original question: "Yes, OpenCart can run two different stores from the same Admin and cart." But you seem to be saying that I need an extension to use the same cart......??

Robster

I know my place...!

Post by labeshops » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:12 am

No, I meant that it doesn't carry products you add in the cart from store 1 to the cart in store 2 by default if you want people to be able to order from both stores at once and checkout once. You don't need any extensions to run different stores from the same admin and cart.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by robster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:20 am

Hi again

I am being particulary thick today so bear with me:

What does the same admin and cart mean then (I get the admin bit) if it doesn't mean that I can carry products from store 1 to store 2 please.

Rob

I know my place...!

Post by labeshops » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:12 am

The same cart setup, not the same session for the cart.

Some users of multistore want the stores to be separate from the front ends, so this keeps them separate though admins can still do everything from the common admin. Basically discreet, separate stores from the customer perspective.

There is at least one extension http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... art&page=3 though that lets you tied the stores together more closely, letting you carry products from one store to another.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by robster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Thank you - I have purchased that extension now.

Robster

I know my place...!

Post by sgh77 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 am

NEED HELP!!! Hi I want to have a wholesale arm and retail arm selling our products, I want the same website but different domains and looks, I have purchased the book mentioned above but it doesn't work on my Window 8 Laptop. I have created another store, and the next step is to install a new template for the second store, I am afraid of destroying our functioning website by lack of knowledge... can someone tell me where and how I create this store... oh and by the way the new store is not set up as a subdirectory or sub domain, as listed above.

Post by robster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 pm

PM me for assistance if you wish.

I know my place...!

Post by merry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:13 am

sgh77 wrote:NEED HELP!!! Hi I want to have a wholesale arm and retail arm selling our products, I want the same website but different domains and looks, I have purchased the book mentioned above but it doesn't work on my Window 8 Laptop. I have created another store, and the next step is to install a new template for the second store, I am afraid of destroying our functioning website by lack of knowledge... can someone tell me where and how I create this store... oh and by the way the new store is not set up as a subdirectory or sub domain, as listed above.
SGH, Windows 8 is not officially released yet, so many thousands of programs including the ebook program are furiously trying to get certified. I NEVER recommend using any beta or alpha operating system - or any other beta or alpha program - until it has been officially released and all the kinks worked out of it.

The user manual is available on Amazon.com, or, you could download it to a Windows 7 system and print a copy for yourself.

I highly recommend taking the time to get the manual because you are making multi-store MUCH harder than it really is, you do not need to install two separate copies of OpenCart. You can also install several templates in any store (since only one is selected at any one time) OR use the generic template that is included with OpenCart. When I said "install a new template" I should have said IF YOU WANT THE SECOND STORE TO LOOK DIFFERENT. That was an assumption on my part, that you want the two stores to look different. If you want the stores to look the same, you do not need to install a different template.

Hope that helps!
Kerry

Post by robster » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:03 am

Hey Merry

When you going to update that fine book to 1.5.4.1? :)
you do not need to install two separate copies of OpenCart

really? I thought that was how multistores work. I really must read the book now that I have bought it..... hehe

Rob

I know my place...!

Post by labeshops » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:54 am

No you only install opencart once and all domains that use it just point to the installation folder and use the same install to run from. See the "document root" information in the instructions in the multistores step by step instructions elsewhere in the forums and which is probably also explained in Merry's manual - that's how they point to them.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA