Post by Gorilla » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 am

i just went live not realizing that opencart site is running super slow, it seems like it takes 6-8seconds to load pages if your lucky and i have maybe 100 products tops.

i even picked up this mod
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... _id=149544
but it didn't make much of a difference

looking at what other reasons the site could be running so damn slow

www.gorillagear.ca

mike = http://www.gorillagear.ca

Post by dbassa » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:28 am

Hi,

For my experience, disable all modules your store loads and try again.

Regards,

Location - Spain

Post by Gorilla » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:32 am

just the mods that appear on the front page? will i have to edit all the mods again if i do this?

Post by dbassa » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:38 am

You can try if they are in extensions->modules and you only need to disable them. If they are vqmod, just rename the file extension from .xml to .xml_

Regards,

Location - Spain

Post by keiron1992 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:40 am

Get the VQmod that removes category counts.

The author is OCPRO.

The file you want is: remove_category_counts.xml

Loads much quicker :)

Location - Birmingham, West Midlands, Uk

Post by Gorilla » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:56 am

i did the catagory count thing no change in load time.
i'll disable modules and see how that goes

Post by Nimitz1061 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:22 am

Don't bother.

It's not database, it's template.

Grade F on Make fewer HTTP requests

This page has 15 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 12 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
This page has 17 external background images. Try combining them with CSS sprites.

Thats just one of 6 areas in which YSlow grades this site with an F.

Add 2 external fonts from Google, 5 external files from Facebook and the fact that 13 of 15 Javascripts are sitting at the top of the page blocking parallel downloads and you pretty much have all the explanation you need...

David

Specializing in secure Hosting 4 OpenCart based eCommerce websites.

Location - United States

Post by Gorilla » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 am

i picked up the theme on themeforest i was kinda worried after i picked it up when i saw all the files but it was smooth so i didn't think nothing of it and started customizing it from the base theme.

I'm a bit worried that it is the theme so i contacted the author and he said it may be he said he just tested it against the OC default and it was only 1-2seconds slower on his set-up. he thinks it may be the server.

i think it may be as well. This afternoon when i posted this topic it was taking forever to load up pages sometimes 6-7seconds sometimes 15-18seconds, right now the site is flying at 2-3 seconds to load up pages.

i'm on a shared host i think it's time to upgrade any suggestions.

Post by Avvici » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 am

Nimitz1061 wrote:Don't bother.

It's not database, it's template.

Grade F on Make fewer HTTP requests

This page has 15 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 12 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
This page has 17 external background images. Try combining them with CSS sprites.

Thats just one of 6 areas in which YSlow grades this site with an F.

Add 2 external fonts from Google, 5 external files from Facebook and the fact that 13 of 15 Javascripts are sitting at the top of the page blocking parallel downloads and you pretty much have all the explanation you need...

David
I would also like to add that if you are combining all of your JS scripts into one then it would also help if you minified here: http://jscompress.com/ Speeds things up as well.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by Nimitz1061 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:02 am

Gorilla wrote:i picked up the theme on themeforest i was kinda worried after i picked it up when i saw all the files but it was smooth so i didn't think nothing of it and started customizing it from the base theme.

I'm a bit worried that it is the theme so i contacted the author and he said it may be he said he just tested it against the OC default and it was only 1-2seconds slower on his set-up. he thinks it may be the server.

i think it may be as well. This afternoon when i posted this topic it was taking forever to load up pages sometimes 6-7seconds sometimes 15-18seconds, right now the site is flying at 2-3 seconds to load up pages.

i'm on a shared host i think it's time to upgrade any suggestions.

We'd be happy to host you if you chose that route, though I don't yet have an Open Cart specific program ready for launch - so, can't yet post a link.

However. Before you do that you should take into consideration that when loading that page the server you are hosted on is only one of 5 being queried.

So, the actual page load time is going to vary from your servers optimum performance no matter where you are. The 1-2 second improvement the template author reports may simply reflect that his network route to the google and facebook servers involved is shorter than yours. Moving hosts could actually make this worse, and it won't make the lack of parallelism any better no matter what.

David

Specializing in secure Hosting 4 OpenCart based eCommerce websites.

Location - United States