Post by syncspin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:27 am

Opencart version: 1.5.1.3
New Install

How can I go about adding a custom field that will appear on the register page, and then in admin as data attached to the customers profile?

Essentially, I want to add a "How did you find us?" drop down.

Thanks for any guidance.

Post by Avvici » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 am

Let's place it below the newsletter sign up. You can place it really wherever you want.
Open: catalog/view/theme/your_theme/template/account/register.tpl and find this code:

Code: Select all

<tr>
          <td><?php echo $entry_newsletter; ?></td>
          <td><?php if ($newsletter == 1) { ?>
            <input type="radio" name="newsletter" value="1" checked="checked" />
            <?php echo $text_yes; ?>
            <input type="radio" name="newsletter" value="0" />
            <?php echo $text_no; ?>
            <?php } else { ?>
            <input type="radio" name="newsletter" value="1" />
            <?php echo $text_yes; ?>
            <input type="radio" name="newsletter" value="0" checked="checked" />
            <?php echo $text_no; ?>
            <?php } ?></td>
        </tr>
Right below that code put this:

<tr><td>
       <select name="hear">
              <?php if( $hear != ""){?>
              <option value="<?php echo $hear;?>" selected="selected"><?php echo $hear;?></option>
<?php }else{?>
 <option value="<?php echo $hear;?>" selected="selected">Choose One</option>
<?php } ?>
              <option value="Google" selected="selected">Google</option>
               <option value="Yahoo" selected="selected">Yahoo</option>
                <option value="Bing" selected="selected">Bing</option>
                <option value="Friendorrelative" selected="selected">Friend or relative</option>
                 <option value="Advertisement" selected="selected">Advertisement</option>
            </select>
            </td></tr>
Now open catalog/controller/account/register.php and find this line of code:

if (isset($this->request->post['newsletter'])) {
            $this->data['newsletter'] = $this->request->post['newsletter'];
        } else {
            $this->data['newsletter'] = '';
        } 
Right below it add this:

if (isset($this->request->post['hear'])) {
            $this->data['hear'] = $this->request->post['hear'];
        } else {
            $this->data['hear'] = '';
        }     
Now open catalog/model/account/customer.php and find this function:

$this->db->query("INSERT INTO " . DB_PREFIX . "customer SET store_id = '" . (int)$this->config->get('config_store_id') . "', firstname = '" . $this->db->escape($data['firstname']) . "', lastname = '" . $this->db->escape($data['lastname']) . "', email = '" . $this->db->escape($data['email']) . "', telephone = '" . $this->db->escape($data['telephone']) . "', fax = '" . $this->db->escape($data['fax']) . "', password = '" . $this->db->escape(md5($data['password'])) . "', newsletter = '" . (isset($data['newsletter']) ? (int)$data['newsletter'] : 0) . "', customer_group_id = '" . (int)$this->config->get('config_customer_group_id') . "', status = '1', date_added = NOW()"); 
Make it look like this:

$this->db->query("INSERT INTO " . DB_PREFIX . "customer SET store_id = '" . (int)$this->config->get('config_store_id') . "', firstname = '" . $this->db->escape($data['firstname']) . "', lastname = '" . $this->db->escape($data['lastname']) . "', email = '" . $this->db->escape($data['email']) . "', telephone = '" . $this->db->escape($data['telephone']) . "', fax = '" . $this->db->escape($data['fax']) . "', password = '" . $this->db->escape(md5($data['password'])) . "', newsletter = '" . (isset($data['newsletter']) ? (int)$data['newsletter'] : 0) . "', hear = '" . (string)$data['hear'] . "', customer_group_id = '" . (int)$this->config->get('config_customer_group_id') . "', status = '1', date_added = NOW()"); 
Now all we have to do is add the field. Open up your database in PHP MY ADMIN and click on the table "customer." Now insert a new field called "hear" (check attached image to see how. The image will show you the proper set up for the field properties)

Save, and you are done. Keep in mind it's not validated so they don't have to choose How They Found You. If you want validation I can add that for you and amend the post. If want to see this data in the admin then you need only to call that field and echo it to the back end on the appropriate page.

Attachments

insertfield.jpg

insertfield.jpg (196.76 KiB) Viewed 12624 times

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by syncspin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks so much!

Post by Avvici » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:57 am

If you have trouble getting it to come through to the admin we can help with that. Just let me know.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by hellodesignoxon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Any chance that I could ask for a little help on what would need doing to get some custom fields showing up on the order_invoice.tpl specifically, but elsewhere in admin would be good.

I've setup a store where users must register to purchase, and have added 3 new fields to the registration page as per this thread (all works with the info getting added to the database)....what I need now is to get at that info to make it visible on the invoice template.

Any help gratefully received! Thanks in advance...

Post by Avvici » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Contact me on skype Involution Media

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by Avvici » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 am

I got your message. Thanks.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC