Post by slapface » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:44 am

The CA Sales Tax rate I set up is appearing by default on my shopping cart page. I don't want it there. I can't figure out why my store is displaying it there. Any suggestions on how to remove it from the cart page? I searched the forum and googled it with no luck.

Location - San Francisco

Post by Avvici » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:09 am

Pardon if I don't understand you correctly but your actual cart page is supposed to show sales tax if any. Do you want to remove it from the total? Or, do you just want to not show it but still have it reflect in the grand total? Two different things.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by slapface » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 am

Sorry for the delayed response.

I guess I am confused on how I should set up the taxes on OpenCart. The store will be selling to the US and Japan. We want to charge tax to only CA residents. Ultimately I want the sales tax to reflect in the total. It doesn't make sense to me that OpenCart would display the tax in the shopping cart as we don't know the customer's address at that point.

Right now I have a Tax Class titled Taxable Goods and it is set to the CA Sales Tax rate based on Shipping Address. I assumed that OpenCart would apply this rule to all taxable goods and if someone's address is in CA then it would add tax. If not, then no tax is added.

With these rules OpenCart is assuming everyone (non-logged in users) is from CA, thus adding tax and displaying it in the cart.

When I add items to my cart without logging in with a non-CA address, then CA tax is being added to my cart. But when I log in with an account I set up with a shipping address in IL no taxes are added to the cart.

Are my settings wrong or is this the way OpenCart operates? Ideally I don't want taxes to appear until checkout.

Location - San Francisco

Post by slapface » Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 am

Can someone please help me with this? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy super moon!

Location - San Francisco

Post by apendragon » Mon May 07, 2012 5:12 am

This is exactly my question as well -- I don't know why sales tax should be showing up by default in the shopping cart when chances are my customer is in one the 49 states I'm not charging sales tax in. Tax should only be appearing in the shopping cart at such time as the customer enters their address and it's found to match the geo zone that I set up -- in my case, Pennsylvania.

How do we configure the shopping cart to do this?

Post by dirtboy » Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 am

try this. go to admin > settings > edit your store > Options tab. check the setting "Use Store Tax Address" and make sure it is set to "Payment Address". i changed this on my store and it showed tax. when i changed it back it did not show tax.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.”
- Henry Ford

Post by apendragon » Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 am

That did it. Thank you!

Post by slapface » Tue May 08, 2012 4:54 am

Thanks! That worked for me too.

Location - San Francisco

Post by Bg-foxx » Tue May 22, 2012 2:23 am

It worked! Thanks, dirtboy!

Post by joankent » Thu May 24, 2012 7:19 am

hi, excuse me, I have the opencart 1.5.1 and this does not works, I can't remove the taxes on the cart page, I need use different taxes per zone, how can I do it?, help !! thanks.

Post by straightlight » Thu May 24, 2012 7:22 am

I need use different taxes per zone, how can I do it?
Admin - > Systems - > Localisation - > Geo Zones.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by beuh_dave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 am

You are a genius, thank you!

Post by wardntx » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:16 am

I have OpenCart 1.5.6 and when on the shopping cart page it always puts Texas sales tax. If you select estimate shipping and taxes and selct another state beside Texas, then it will remove it. But I am getting complaints about this and may be losing sales as well. Is there a way to stop this or just remove the sales tax untill the final order is ready for review?
I tried going to settings and changing it to payment address then back to shipping. I even tried none. I have considered changing the state my store is in to someone out of the US. I hope someone can chime in with this.
It may be that when I click on the estimate shipping and taxes it is because Texas is already in there. I am hoping a new user would not have that already selected. But it may be the default since the store is located in Texas. Perhaps someone can add something to their cart and then check the shopping cart to see if it is defaulting to Texas and post a reply here, or you can email me at wardntx@gmail.com
The website is http://www.thevideocopilot.com

Thank you.
Ward

Post by Dhaupin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:38 am

Thanks, this works. The setting was named so strange.. Setting > Option > "Use Store Tax Address" > --- NONE --- took off sales tax until logged in with a shipping address in the zone.

https://creadev.org | support@creadev.org - Opencart Extensions, Integrations, & Development. Made in the USA.

Location - PA