Post by purplewac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi,

We have recently noticed that our site no longer shows up on Google when you search for our company name, whereas a few weeks ago it was listed together with indexed pages.

I think the problem might be due to a 301 redirect I did on the htaccess page, to send non www to www, so hopefully that will be sorted soon.

During our investigations we noticed that the page source for our home page includes the following code:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

I can only see this on our home page and not any of the category or product pages.
I have checked the Opencart demo and a few other Opencart stores, and can't see it on any of them.

Does anyone know if the code code is a problem and where it might be coming from.
I have checked our Header and Home Template files etc.

We are running v1.5.1.3

Thanks

Post by uksitebuilder » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm guessing you are using a custom template as this is not the norm in the default template.

If so, it is most likely in either home.tpl or the controller file.

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by Avvici » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:43 pm

purplewac wrote:Hi,

We have recently noticed that our site no longer shows up on Google when you search for our company name, whereas a few weeks ago it was listed together with indexed pages.

I think the problem might be due to a 301 redirect I did on the htaccess page, to send non www to www, so hopefully that will be sorted soon.

During our investigations we noticed that the page source for our home page includes the following code:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

I can only see this on our home page and not any of the category or product pages.
I have checked the Opencart demo and a few other Opencart stores, and can't see it on any of them.

Does anyone know if the code code is a problem and where it might be coming from.
I have checked our Header and Home Template files etc.

We are running v1.5.1.3

Thanks
That would certainly not help your indexing within google :o For such a meta tag to work it would have to be in the header of your template file anyway between the <head> and </head> tags.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by purplewac » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm

I found the where the code was coming from.
It is part of a purchased vqmod mod for 'ajax add to cart- v2' by harryo.
I have contacted harryo by pm, but no answer yet.

I have removed the code from my site and it is starting to get indexed by Google again.
I guess the code has been left in from his development site.

Post by Avvici » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 am

purplewac wrote:I found the where the code was coming from.
It is part of a purchased vqmod mod for 'ajax add to cart- v2' by harryo.
I have contacted harryo by pm, but no answer yet.

I have removed the code from my site and it is starting to get indexed by Google again.
I guess the code has been left in from his development site.
Sounds logical indeed. Hope you worked it out!

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC