Post by cwswebdesign » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:42 am

Hi,

I'm hoping for some suggestions / advice on setting up the following scenario:

I've got a store that's going to have about 1200-1400 current model products and then I have maybe 500-700 prior year models. I'm wanting to distinguish a "clearance" section from the main site with the current year products. I of course tried to setup multi store and run it as clearance.domain.com and domain.com - which I now know won't work! My next thought was to figure out how to setup domain.com/clearance/ with the multi store function.

I realize that this wasn't how Opencart was designed, so I'm not complaining at all, just looking for suggestions about how to do this.

Maybe the best way is to just change the seo keyword (page name) to clearance/product-name/ and call it good?

I don't mind having the files installed twice in two different directories as long as a customer can order items from both directories and have it all appear on one invoice. In the end, it's just a matter of trying to figure out the easiest and most logical way to manage all of this because every year, I'll be adding more to the clearance section and more to the current year products.

Hopefully the explanation is clear enough, and if not, I can provide more info. I'd give a URL, but I don't have anything setup yet that's worth showing!

I do want to say that I've worked with about a half dozen carts (licensed and not) and I'm most impressed with Opencart! It's a great solution!

Thanks everyone,

Doug

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by mstng67 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:01 am

I'm curious why multi-store with clearance.domain.com and domain.com won't work?

Post by cwswebdesign » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:16 am

mstng67,

It's because the actual files sit in the main area (public_html), so the site will pull up as clearance.domain.com but as soon as I went to click on any links, it switched the domain name back to my "main" domain.

Maybe I missed something in setup??

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by mstng67 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:20 am

Do you have the trailing / after the second domain name in the settings panel. It should not be switching back to the main domain.

Post by cwswebdesign » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:33 am

Not sure what I was doing wrong earlier, but I just got it to work. BIG THANK YOU!

Do you know what to do with the modules?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by mstng67 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:51 am

You can assign each module to either site. Just assign it to both if you want it on both, and assign them to the pages you want. You may have a module assigned only once or 10 or more times depending on your layouts.

Post by cwswebdesign » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:01 am

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but how do you tell the site which domain to display the module on? Right now, I have the account module setup (once) to the account page, but it shows on the home page of one of the subdomains.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by mstng67 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 am

I'm not around a computer right now. Search the forum for multi-store setups. I know the information is on the forum. I'll check back later to see if you found it.

Post by cwswebdesign » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:05 am

I found it here: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 49#p249093

and I greatly appreciate all of your help!

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by richhelen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 am

ImageYou can assign each module to either site.