Post by DinaB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm

I haven't purchased open cart yet but i was told it was the way to go for my site, however, i have a domain and webhost through godaddy. I read through the manual and the instructions for installing don't apply to a godaddy account.

Thank You,

Dina

Post by NoJoke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Opencart does work on a godaddy hosted account. I used a godaddy shared hosting account with opencart, and needless to say godaddy doesnt have good shared hosting if you are looking to use a cart software and want it to be successful.

Since on their shared hosting account the database connection speeds are not always the same and therefore, sometimes your pages can load within 1sec and other times it can take up to 10-15sec for a page to load.

The only way I would recommend their hosting is if you go with a virtual dedicated or dedicated server, but that requires know how of running a server for which ever os you want to use and is quite pricey.

Post by DinaB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Based on your experience, do you recommend me canceling my hosting with godaddy to go with the suggested hosting sites advertised on this site? I certainly don't want a lacking site. I appreciate your response.

Post by NoJoke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 pm

I haven't used the other ones, but I know that some recommend hostgator the most followed by arvixe . I just think that godaddy overloads there servers and it just isnt pretty if you want a sucessful cart with consistent page load times.

BTW Opencart is Free :D

Post by DinaB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:48 pm

I don't want slow load times so i may have to cancel my hosting with them. I don't know anything about servers etc, so that's why i'm asking here. I also have a site with 1 & 1. I'm reading that 1&1 offers opencart but people commenting that it's problematic. Not sure what to do... :laugh: :laugh: :'( :'(

Post by NoJoke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:57 pm

I've seen bad reviews about 1&1, you can try host gator or arvixe, i know that arvixe offer the 1 click installtion of opencart so that should be the easiest for you to use.

Post by DinaB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:59 pm

yes, i will check them out. Thank you very much!

D

Post by NoJoke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:09 pm

you're welcome, glad i could spare you from that godaddy mess lol

Post by merry » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 am

DinaB wrote:I don't want slow load times so i may have to cancel my hosting with them. I don't know anything about servers etc, so that's why i'm asking here. I also have a site with 1 & 1. I'm reading that 1&1 offers opencart but people commenting that it's problematic. Not sure what to do... :laugh: :laugh: :'( :'(
GoDaddy will refund your unused hosting fees if you ask, so don't hesitate to cancel with them. In my personal experience they are great for domain registration but difficult to use for hosting. Their system is "proprietary" which means it is custom - unlike any other host in the world, so you end up calling their tech support repeatedly to find stuff.

Arvixe is the official web host for OpenCart, you will not have any issues with them.

Good luck to you!
Kerry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Location - Mexico and sometimes Texas

Post by Majna » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:38 am

NoJoke wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:57 pm
I've seen bad reviews about 1&1, you can try host gator or arvixe, i know that arvixe offer the 1 click installtion of opencart so that should be the easiest for you to use.
Is hostgator and arvixe same company ?