Post by kgkaraoke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:11 am

countzer0 wrote:I am concerned about the way canonical URLs are used in OpenCart. I am using SEO friendly URLs and my site has been indexed under the http://www.sitename.com/product-name.html URL instead of http://www.sitename.com/category/sub-ca ... -name.html or http://www.sitename.com/manufacturer/product-name.html. All well and good except for this:

1. I am using optimized page titles of the format "Product - Category - Site Name". The canonical URL is not in a category so the titles indexed become "Product - - Site Name". Not good for SEO or click-throughs.

2. The canonical URL pages do not have expanded navigation or breadcrumbs. This means that the internal linking which allows Google etc. to calculate the internal linking hierarchy of the site is non-existent: in effect, all pages are at the top-level, and the category/sub-category pages are very weakly cross-linked. Again, not good for SEO.

Is it possible to force the canonical URLs to be of the format http://www.sitename.com/category/sub-ca ... -name.html? I am using 1.5.1.1.
Canonical URLs are a Band Aid. Whether or not Google penalizes rel="canonical" isn't very clear, but it shouldn't be necessary.

The "Pretty Damn Sexy - 1" seo extension takes care of this, and all product URLs will grow out of the site's url rather than out of a category or manufacturer. One product, one URL The breadcrumbs will still be displayed, of course, but this isn't the major problem with OpenCart and seo. The main problem is "related products," and this causes many erroneous search engine listings that are there only because the products are related.

Remove ALL related products. If you're running OpenCart 1.4.X.X you'll also need to edit the catalog/language/english/product/product.php file.

Search for:

Code: Select all

$_['text_no_related']     = 'There are no related products for this product.';
and change it to:

Code: Select all

$_['text_no_related']     = '';
This isn't necessary for Versions 1.5.X.X

This will result in a DRAMATIC improvement in the search engine listings.

Whoever wrote the "Related Products" code apparently knew nothing about seo. The search engines ignore the tabs and pickup on the "Related Products" URLs.
Last edited by kgkaraoke on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 am, edited 10 times in total.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by storm-cloud » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:21 pm

kgkaraoke wrote:Canonical URLs are a Band Aid, and breadcrumbs should not be appearing in the Google index. Whether or not Google penalizes rel="canonical" isn't very clear, but it shouldn't be necessary.
No, actually Google recommends a canonical meta tag to tell Google/SE's which is the preferred version of a URL when a page is accessible via multiple URL's (and a redirect is not possible).

Breadcrumbs do not "appear" in the Google index. What Countzer0 was concerned with is due to the fact that OpenCart implements a root level version of the URL for the canonical tag on product pages. This is the version that will be indexed therefore incoming visitors will land on a page which does not show the full breadcrumb path.

I have also been looking for a way to show the full path URL for the canonical tag on category pages but I can't seem to figure this out.

Unfortunately, the code that spitos posted will still show the shorter version of the URL for the canonical tag if that is the landing page. Essentially, I would like this to work in the exact same way as the modified canonical tag for the product page that uksitebuilder (and Jordan) posted on page 1 (canonical will still show full path URL regardless of which URL is visited). Any ideas?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 am

Post by kgkaraoke » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 pm

storm-cloud wrote:
kgkaraoke wrote:Canonical URLs are a Band Aid, and breadcrumbs should not be appearing in the Google index. Whether or not Google penalizes rel="canonical" isn't very clear, but it shouldn't be necessary.
No, actually Google recommends a canonical meta tag to tell Google/SE's which is the preferred version of a URL when a page is accessible via multiple URL's (and a redirect is not possible).

Breadcrumbs do not "appear" in the Google index. What Countzer0 was concerned with is due to the fact that OpenCart implements a root level version of the URL for the canonical tag on product pages. This is the version that will be indexed therefore incoming visitors will land on a page which does not show the full breadcrumb path.

I have also been looking for a way to show the full path URL for the canonical tag on category pages but I can't seem to figure this out.

Unfortunately, the code that spitos posted will still show the shorter version of the URL for the canonical tag if that is the landing page. Essentially, I would like this to work in the exact same way as the modified canonical tag for the product page that uksitebuilder (and Jordan) posted on page 1 (canonical will still show full path URL regardless of which URL is visited). Any ideas?
The problem is that Google treats the rel="canonical" tag the same way it treats a 301 redirect. That is, the page ranking drops. I've yet to see a good explanation forn Daniel & Company as to why they chose to have this multiple url structure in the first place. If one has access to the code, then one shouldn't be patching it up with Band Aids.

As I wrote though, the BIG problem, the GRANDADDY problem, is the "Related Products" feature, and it's so horrible that I can spot an OpenCart website by the multiple listings for a sought-after product. You type-in Ajax R1200 and get listings not only for that product but for virually all the related products as well. Daniel & Company think this is great for seo, but they're living in a dream world. Google is going to catch on, and then it's going to be the day of reckoning when OpenCart websites get banned for spamming. How nice, you have the Ajax Widget-12 on your website, and fifteen other products pop up as well. What a great way to attract visitors.

We removed all our "Related Products" about two weeks ago, and our Google listings are GRADUALLY becoming normal.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by storm-cloud » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 am

kgkaraoke wrote:The problem is that Google treats the rel="canonical" tag the same way it treats a 301 redirect. That is, the page ranking drops. I've yet to see a good explanation forn Daniel & Company as to why they chose to have this multiple url structure in the first place. If one has access to the code, then one shouldn't be patching it up with Band Aids.
It has actually been covered numerous times throughout this forum. The reason the canonical meta tag is in place for the product pages is because a product can reside under multiple categories. For breadcrumbs to function correctly within these multiple locations, different URL's must be accessible. The canonical tag is there to avoid duplicate content issues.

Page ranking does not "drop" from using canonical tags or 301 redirects but the link juice passed on from incoming links may be diluted ever so slightly. However, this small amount is not really anything to be concerned with. In fact, the purpose of a canonical meta tag is to consolidate the link juice and other ranking signals to the one page (URL) rather than spread across two or more identical pages.

If your products are ALWAYS going to be under a single category, you could safely remove the canonical tag from the code and your problem is fixed.
kgkaraoke wrote:As I wrote though, the BIG problem, the GRANDADDY problem, is the "Related Products" feature, and it's so horrible that I can spot an OpenCart website by the multiple listings for a sought-after product. You type-in Ajax R1200 and get listings not only for that product but for virually all the related products as well. Daniel & Company think this is great for seo, but they're living in a dream world. Google is going to catch on, and then it's going to be the day of reckoning when OpenCart websites get banned for spamming. How nice, you have the Ajax Widget-12 on your website, and fifteen other products pop up as well. What a great way to attract visitors.

We removed all our "Related Products" about two weeks ago, and our Google listings are GRADUALLY becoming normal.
Sure, not really in line with the OP's topic but probably worth discussing. Could you provide an actual live example? We don't currently use the Related Products feature so don't have any experience with issues here.

Are you stating that you search for a specific product and the results returned are numerous related products from a single site in the search engines? Or are you referring to OpenCart's internal search engine?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 am

Post by kgkaraoke » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 am

I'll post an example of multiple listings caused by "Related Products." Most have since dropped off, but a few remain.

Here's a Google search for: IDOLpro IP-2800

VocoPro PA-PRO-900-2 900 Watt Powered Active Professional ...
store.kgkaraoke.com/vocopro-pa-pro-900-2-900-watt-powered-activ...
IDOLpro IP-2800 Digital Karaoke Mixer w/ USB & SD Recording. $299.00. Add to Cart. IDOLpro IP-3688 300W BBE Processor Digital Key Control Karaoke ...

See? The VocoPro PA-PRO-900-2-900 is also listed because the IP-2800 had it as a Related Product.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by kgkaraoke » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 am

What Countzer0 was concerned with is due to the fact that OpenCart implements a root level version of the URL for the canonical tag on product pages. This is the version that will be indexed therefore incoming visitors will land on a page which does not show the full breadcrumb path.

I have also been looking for a way to show the full path URL for the canonical tag on category pages but I can't seem to figure this out.

Unfortunately, the code that spitos posted will still show the shorter version of the URL for the canonical tag if that is the landing page. Essentially, I would like this to work in the exact same way as the modified canonical tag for the product page that uksitebuilder (and Jordan) posted on page 1 (canonical will still show full path URL regardless of which URL is visited). Any ideas?
The complete breadcrumb path will be shown within OpenCart (no more short breadcrumb paths) if you'll order:

Pretty Damn Sexy SEO Solution No.3 - Precise Breadcrumb Navigation Alias URL

As is, if you're on the home page and click on a featured or latest product, the breadcrumb trail will be incomplete (not full). This takes care of that problem. The extension costs fifteen dollars.

They also sell the
Pretty Damn Sexy SEO Solution No.1 - One Product, one URL. for thirty dollars.

You're welcome to visit our website at: http://store.kgkaraoke.com and see for yourself what "Pretty Damn Sexy" can do.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by bigmuz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi guys.

I am facing this problem due to our seo terms ending up duplicated in the final category;

ie we have paths like this;

http://shop.cdaets.com.au/Bolts-Fixings ... Brass/BSW/
and
http://shop.cdaets.com.au/Bolts-Fixings ... SS316/BSW/

and because the final category name is duplicated the wrong items show behind these paths (ie all items under /BSW/ show up no matter what the path is.

I have looked at a few mods to solve this and it appears that there are two approaches;

One is to append or prepend an integer to stop the category seo terms being duplicated (yuk), and

Two is to force all products to be displayed in the root;
http://shop.cdaets.com.au/BHXS6W120200BO
instead of forcing the item to appear here;
http://shop.cdaets.com.au/Bolts-Fixings ... 6W120200BO.

I think this should be solvable surely? I will commit to only having items in one category if that is what I have to do to fix it..

Are the xml mods on the last page going to give me what I need?

Thanks in advance!

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Post by kgkaraoke » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:43 am

storm-cloud wrote:
kgkaraoke wrote:The problem is that Google treats the rel="canonical" tag the same way it treats a 301 redirect. That is, the page ranking drops. I've yet to see a good explanation forn Daniel & Company as to why they chose to have this multiple url structure in the first place. If one has access to the code, then one shouldn't be patching it up with Band Aids.
It has actually been covered numerous times throughout this forum. The reason the canonical meta tag is in place for the product pages is because a product can reside under multiple categories. For breadcrumbs to function correctly within these multiple locations, different URL's must be accessible. The canonical tag is there to avoid duplicate content issues.

Page ranking does not "drop" from using canonical tags or 301 redirects but the link juice passed on from incoming links may be diluted ever so slightly. However, this small amount is not really anything to be concerned with. In fact, the purpose of a canonical meta tag is to consolidate the link juice and other ranking signals to the one page (URL) rather than spread across two or more identical pages.

If your products are ALWAYS going to be under a single category, you could safely remove the canonical tag from the code and your problem is fixed.
kgkaraoke wrote:As I wrote though, the BIG problem, the GRANDADDY problem, is the "Related Products" feature, and it's so horrible that I can spot an OpenCart website by the multiple listings for a sought-after product. You type-in Ajax R1200 and get listings not only for that product but for virually all the related products as well. Daniel & Company think this is great for seo, but they're living in a dream world. Google is going to catch on, and then it's going to be the day of reckoning when OpenCart websites get banned for spamming. How nice, you have the Ajax Widget-12 on your website, and fifteen other products pop up as well. What a great way to attract visitors.

We removed all our "Related Products" about two weeks ago, and our Google listings are GRADUALLY becoming normal.
Sure, not really in line with the OP's topic but probably worth discussing. Could you provide an actual live example? We don't currently use the Related Products feature so don't have any experience with issues here.

Are you stating that you search for a specific product and the results returned are numerous related products from a single site in the search engines? Or are you referring to OpenCart's internal search engine?
We have two websites: http://store.kgkaraoke.com which is OpenCart-based, as well as http://www.kgkaraoke.com which is a static-page website. URLs should appear as they do on static websites: all product URLs grow out of the base URL. You create a sitemap, send it to Google, and Google figures out the navigation. If you have a page entitled Widgets, and ten products are listed, Google will, in relatively short order figure out that it is to index the ultimate product pages rather than the intermediate category page. Some folks have decided to "reinvent the wheel," and this is causing many ecommerce owners a lot of grief. If you want internal breadcrumbs, then fine, but they should be kept internal.

As for "Related Products," whenever we post a link from one product page to another on our static-pages website for customer comparison purposes, we use the rel'"nofollow" tag, which tells Google not to follow that particular link in that particular instance. It works perfectly. "Related Products" would be okay in OpenCart if the rel="nofollow" tag were to be used, but such is not the case. Search engines do not see the Ajax "Related Products" tab, and so the "Related Products" URLs get spidered as well as the desired URLs. Search for Widget123 and you get Widget234, Widget777, Widget922, etc.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by kgkaraoke » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:33 am

storm-cloud wrote:
kgkaraoke wrote:Canonical URLs are a Band Aid, and breadcrumbs should not be appearing in the Google index. Whether or not Google penalizes rel="canonical" isn't very clear, but it shouldn't be necessary.
No, actually Google recommends a canonical meta tag to tell Google/SE's which is the preferred version of a URL when a page is accessible via multiple URL's (and a redirect is not possible).

Breadcrumbs do not "appear" in the Google index. What Countzer0 was concerned with is due to the fact that OpenCart implements a root level version of the URL for the canonical tag on product pages. This is the version that will be indexed therefore incoming visitors will land on a page which does not show the full breadcrumb path.

I have also been looking for a way to show the full path URL for the canonical tag on category pages but I can't seem to figure this out.

Unfortunately, the code that spitos posted will still show the shorter version of the URL for the canonical tag if that is the landing page. Essentially, I would like this to work in the exact same way as the modified canonical tag for the product page that uksitebuilder (and Jordan) posted on page 1 (canonical will still show full path URL regardless of which URL is visited). Any ideas?
"Pretty Damn Sexy #3" fixes the breadcrumb problem. If you click on a product from the main page, such as a "Featured" Product, the internal breadcrumb path will be shortened (like no category or brand). This application will correct this problem, and as you folks no doubt already know, I also highly recommend "Pretty Damn Sexy #1) which produces one url for each product. No need for canonical tags. And oh yes, this application also fixes the Google Sitemap generator so that the sitemap no longer lists multiple URLs for the same product.

And REMEMBER, do NOT use "Related Products" as it causes multiple search engine listings because the search engines do not recognize the Ajax tabs, and index the "Related Products" as well as the desired products on the product pages.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by countzer0 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:40 pm

And REMEMBER, do NOT use "Related Products" as it causes multiple search engine listings because the search engines do not recognize the Ajax tabs, and index the "Related Products" as well as the desired products on the product pages.
I think there are some big misconceptions being bandied around here. "Related Products" links on the products page will be crawled by Google and recognised as a form of cross-linking. This has the effect of associating the related products with the product, and as a result, they may be be listed as a result when searching for that product (hopefully below the actual product, but not necessarily so, depending on in-bound links, content etc.). AJAX has nothing to do with it - the related product links are just regular <a href> links in the code - view the source to see. This is a logical, and desirable, result - after all the products are related.

My advice is always: create your site for your customers, not the search engines. If you need related products, use them. Obviously make sure that all your content is crawlable (i.e. not hidden in Javascript/AJAX etc.).

Thanks for recommending the Pretty Damn Sexy mods, they look promising. I think that a persistent unique URLs and breadcrumbs for each page are essential to avoid duplicate content issues, as well as providing navigation hints to users landing from search engines. I would like this to be built into the OC core.

A happy OpenCart developer from Brighton.


User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:09 pm
Location - Brighton, UK

Post by jipsa78 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:12 pm

jordan wrote:I modified Simon's script to support multiple categories. If multiple categories are found it uses the one with the lowest sort_order (i.e. to highest priority category in sort). Updated vqmod is attached. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

I am also thinking about doing the same thing if no breadcrumbs are found, but not sure when I'll get around to that.
Great work on this Simon and Jordan!
All the different versions of my product pages, including the domain.com/product, now have a canonical tag pointing to one page.

The only strange thing is they are not pointing to the page in the category with the lowest sort order, but to the one in the second lowest category. Any ideas on how to solve that?

I'm running OC 1.5.3.1 with the Shoppica 2 template.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Post by jipsa78 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

I think I've found a solution for my problem.
My main categories had a sort order, but the subcategories of my first category had a sort order of their own.
The existence of two categories with sort order value 1 seems to have 'confused' the vQmod and made it default to the next main category. Deleting the sort order of the subcategory fixed the problem.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Post by syednayab » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:04 am

uksitebuilder wrote:The reason it is not done by default is due to you being able to add a product to multiple categories

If you do that (add to multiple) then the product page will not know which categories to use for the canonical URL.

However, if you only add your products to one category (be that a main cat or subcat - but not both) then it is feasible to change the canonical URL to the structure you want.

To do so, edit: catalog/controller/product/product.php

Find

Code: Select all

$this->document->addLink($this->url->link('product/product', 'product_id=' . $this->request->get['product_id']), 'canonical');
change to

Code: Select all

if($this->model_catalog_product->getCategoryPath($this->request->get['product_id'])!='0'){
    $this->document->addLink($this->url->link('product/product', 'path=' . $this->model_catalog_product->getCategoryPath($this->request->get['product_id']) . '&product_id=' . $this->request->get['product_id']), 'canonical');
}else{
    $this->document->addLink($this->url->link('product/product', 'product_id=' . $this->request->get['product_id']), 'canonical');
}
edit: catalog/model/catalog/product.php

find

Code: Select all

}
?>
add before

Code: Select all

	public function getCategoryPath($product_id) {
		$query = $this->db->query("SELECT COUNT(product_id) AS total, category_id as catid FROM " . DB_PREFIX . "product_to_category WHERE product_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");
		
		if($query->row['total']==1){
			$path = array();
			$path[0] = $query->row['catid'];
			
			$query = $this->db->query("SELECT parent_id AS pid FROM " . DB_PREFIX . "category WHERE category_id = '" . (int)$path[0] . "'");

			$parent = $query->row['pid'];
			
			$p = 1;
			while($parent>0){
				$path[$p] = $parent;
				
				$query = $this->db->query("SELECT parent_id AS pid FROM " . DB_PREFIX . "category WHERE category_id = '" . (int)$parent . "'");
				$parent = $query->row['pid'];
				$p++;
			}
		
			$path = array_reverse($path);
			
			$fullpath = '';
			
			foreach($path as $val){
				$fullpath .= '_'.$val;
			}
		
			return ltrim($fullpath, '_');
		}else{
			return '0';
		}
	}			
I have added a fallback in the above so if you do list the product in more than one category, it will default to how the canonical url currently works.

There's probably an easier way to do the above, but it was requested for one of my extensions and it works.

vqmod file if you want it:
uksb_product_canonical.xml
Does the same method applies to all versions, Please help....

Life is a Gift! and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more......


New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 pm
Location - Mumbai India

Post by syednayab » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:29 am

jordan wrote:I modified Simon's script to support multiple categories. If multiple categories are found it uses the one with the lowest sort_order (i.e. to highest priority category in sort). Updated vqmod is attached. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

I am also thinking about doing the same thing if no breadcrumbs are found, but not sure when I'll get around to that.


Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ModelCatalogProduct::getCategoryPath() in /home/a6909368/public_html/vqmod/vqcache/vq2-catalog_model_catalog_product.php on line 547

Life is a Gift! and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more......


New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 pm
Location - Mumbai India

Post by haowind » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 pm

I have a problem, I have category like this abc.com/cat1/cat2/
I found I can use both abc.com/cat/cat2/ and abc.com/cat2/ to visit the cat2 category.
I think this is very bad for seo!! Can anyone make cannonial URL to lowerest class?

http://www.haowind.com
Haowind is a professional manufacturer for plastic craftworks, piggy banks, bath ducks, mini compasses and promotional gifts.


Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:46 pm
Location - China

Post by Axansh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi,

We have developed an extension for SEO - to make it easy for seller.

This module helps you with optimizing the url's of all your website pages , categories , products , manufacturers , information pages .

you can also optimize the titles , meta tag keywords , meta tag descriptions of all the links , categories , products , manufacturers , information pages .

If you add new links or catalog data - they can be optimised as well .

All optimizations can be done for multiple languages .

Image names can also be optimized .

For fast results , less data entry - you can use auto generate facility .

Thanks and Best Regards,
Axansh Sheth

Our Opencart Module
All in ONE SEO |
Multi-purpose pop |
Restaurant theme |
Store time save module


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Post by kgkaraoke » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:32 am

kgkaraoke wrote:
countzer0 wrote:I am concerned about the way canonical URLs are used in OpenCart. I am using SEO friendly URLs and my site has been indexed under the http://www.sitename.com/product-name.html URL instead of http://www.sitename.com/category/sub-ca ... -name.html or http://www.sitename.com/manufacturer/product-name.html. All well and good except for this:

1. I am using optimised page titles of the format "Product - Category - Site Name". The canonical URL is not in a category so the titles indexed become "Product - - Site Name". Not good for SEO or click-throughs.

2. The canonical URL pages do not have expanded navigation or breadcrumbs. This means that the internal linking which allows Google etc. to calculate the internal linking hierarchy of the site is non-existent: in effect, all pages are at the top-level, and the category/sub-category pages are very weakly cross-linked. Again, not good for SEO.

Is it possible to force the canonical URLs to be of the format http://www.sitename.com/category/sub-ca ... -name.html? I am using 1.5.1.1.
Canonical URLs are a Band Aid, and breadcrumbs should not be appearing in the Google index. Whether or not Google penalizes rel="canonical" isn't very clear, but it shouldn't be necessary.

The "Pretty Damn Sexy - 1" seo extension takes care of this, and all product URLs will grow out of the site's url rather than out of a category or manufacturer. One product, one URL The internal breadcrumbs will still be displayed. But this isn't the major problem with OpenCart and seo. The main problem is "related products," and this causes many erroneous search engine listings that are there only because the products are related.

Remove ALL related products. If you're running OpenCart 1.4.X.X you'll also need to edit the catalog/language/english/product/product.php file.

Search for:

Code: Select all

$_['text_no_related']     = 'There are no related products for this product.';
and change it to:

Code: Select all

$_['text_no_related']     = '';
This isn't necessary for Versions 1.5.X.X

This will result in a DRAMATIC improvement in the search engine listings.

Whoever wrote the "Related Products" code apparently knew nothing about seo. The search engines ignore the tabs and pickup on the "Related Products" URLs.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by kgkaraoke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:51 pm

On our website, we do the following:

We use Pretty Damn Sexy #1 and #3
We use BEOP All Clean URLs
We assign each product to a SINGLE category
We do NOT use "Related Products"

The only remaining related issue is that the last breadcrumb (for the present page) links to itself, when it should simply be plain text, linking to nowhere. What this means is that whoever wrote the code for generating breadcrumbs in OpenCart did not bother to research the subject of breadcrumbs.

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/breadcrumbs/15022/

We have since written a vqmod xml file to remove the link from the last breadcrumb.

Attachments

Install in the vqmod/xml folder.

Last edited by kgkaraoke on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by kgkaraoke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:47 am

storm-cloud wrote:
kgkaraoke wrote:The problem is that Google treats the rel="canonical" tag the same way it treats a 301 redirect. That is, the page ranking drops. I've yet to see a good explanation forn Daniel & Company as to why they chose to have this multiple url structure in the first place. If one has access to the code, then one shouldn't be patching it up with Band Aids.
It has actually been covered numerous times throughout this forum. The reason the canonical meta tag is in place for the product pages is because a product can reside under multiple categories. For breadcrumbs to function correctly within these multiple locations, different URL's must be accessible. The canonical tag is there to avoid duplicate content issues.

Page ranking does not "drop" from using canonical tags or 301 redirects but the link juice passed on from incoming links may be diluted ever so slightly. However, this small amount is not really anything to be concerned with. In fact, the purpose of a canonical meta tag is to consolidate the link juice and other ranking signals to the one page (URL) rather than spread across two or more identical pages.

If your products are ALWAYS going to be under a single category, you could safely remove the canonical tag from the code and your problem is fixed.
kgkaraoke wrote:As I wrote though, the BIG problem, the GRANDADDY problem, is the "Related Products" feature, and it's so horrible that I can spot an OpenCart website by the multiple listings for a sought-after product. You type-in Ajax R1200 and get listings not only for that product but for virually all the related products as well. Daniel & Company think this is great for seo, but they're living in a dream world. Google is going to catch on, and then it's going to be the day of reckoning when OpenCart websites get banned for spamming. How nice, you have the Ajax Widget-12 on your website, and fifteen other products pop up as well. What a great way to attract visitors.

We removed all our "Related Products" about two weeks ago, and our Google listings are GRADUALLY becoming normal.
Sure, not really in line with the OP's topic but probably worth discussing. Could you provide an actual live example? We don't currently use the Related Products feature so don't have any experience with issues here.

Are you stating that you search for a specific product and the results returned are numerous related products from a single site in the search engines? Or are you referring to OpenCart's internal search engine?
I meant to say "link juice" and not page ranking.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Post by witalous » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:31 am

Thank you staff for the tips!

Hug!!

www.metaospano.com


Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:39 am

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests