Post by tylertek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:36 am

Hello all,

I'm new to OpenCart, but I love what I see so far. I'm working on a new site (http://www.spentapparel.com/opencart/) and wanted to make several of my own buttons for it. I've tried defining the buttons in /catalog/language/english/english.php, but when I reference the variable, it doesn't seem to work (no value). Is there something else that I am missing or should this work? See how I defined the button below. Thanks. -- Joe

Code: Select all

$_['button_sign_up']  		= 'Sign Up';

Post by Geek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:19 am

Am I understanding you correctly that you are thinking that referencing the variablebutton_sign_up will create the button?

english.php is just the language file, that it is not the controller file(s) for the componets on the webpage. It just sets the variables for the text that will be displayed when the page is viewed.

Location - Cyberspace, the final frontier...

Post by tylertek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:19 am

Geek, thanks for the help. So I would need to modify whichever controller file, in this case the login.php file, to get that button text from the language file (english.php)?

Post by Geek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Controller files are basically the functions that the button would assigned to doing once it is clicked. If you are wanting to display the button, then you would have to modify the template files to show the button on the site.

May I ask what exactly you are trying to do? If you are trying to recreate a sign up function, the function is already there for creating an account on the site, unless it is for something else.

Location - Cyberspace, the final frontier...