Post by Jackcohen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:30 am

The Order ID that appears when item is purchased changes by only single digits. This isn't safe. How can i make it like a 7 digit generates a non duplicate order# with more numbers.

And... Is there any order status/tracking mod or such?

Post by grgr » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Not sure why you don't think that it is safe? All the shop software that I have used has done it this way.

There have been previous discussions (you'll have to google it) on this and the more that you think about it the more difficult it becomes to generate a truly random order number that can't be repeated. The only guaranteed way to have non repeated number is to increment, you can of course increment it by a random amount instead of just 1.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Location - UK

Post by mberlant » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Just be sure that your store is not in a country that requires invoices to be sequential by law. They have this requirement so that the government auditors can be sure that there are no missing invoices in your books.

Please use proper English at all times, so that all members may understand you.

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Although I think what OP is asking seems a little out there, I see no problem with doing a random increment for the 'order id'

However, as mberlant has said, Invoices should retain a sequential numbering system.

ImageImageImageImageImage

For Friendly Professional Support - Click Here

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by Jackcohen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:38 am

How can i do an increment for an Order ID because information is completely not safe like this cause links are like this.

domain.com/index.php?route=account/order/info&order_id=4

they can just change the "4" to a 5 and see someone elses order.

Someone come too a resolution for this? This is very important.

Post by marvmen21 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:49 am

Not quite right actually. They won't see anything that doesn't belong to them since they need to be logged in to see their orders history.

You want to thank me for my time! :) Click here to donate

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:06 am

yes as marvmen said it in order for an order info page to show you have to be logged in and the order has to belong to the user you are logged in as.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Jackcohen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Well, i do prefer order numbers having at least 6-8 digits and generate like going 13 digits up between each order. How can i do that? and too make sure there won't be any duplicate order numbers.

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 pm

This whole argument is nonsense to be honest. While its true you can change the id for information, as pointed out above its not going to happen for orders since they're not viewable unless you are logged in and your customer id matches the one assigned to the order

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by PinkPearl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 am

I have looked at quite a few threads now to try and find an answer to how to change the starting number for the order id and have so far failed to find anything helpful.
There are a lot of arguments about why it should be necessary though.
I am just moving my store to Open Cart and, even though it's been around a long time I have a very low volume of sales.
What I have found in testing Open Cart, is that the auto email to a customer actually includes the order number in the title.
Well, if I say I've been around a long time and they get an email telling them they are order number 6, it doesn't look very reassuring does it? It would be really nice to be able to set a start number in the admin panel, but if this is not possible could somebody give me some clear instructions on how to do this?? Please? I believe it may be somewhere in the database and I am a beginner at using mySQL.
I am using version 1.5.1.3 of OpenCart.
Thank you very much.

Post by i2Paq » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:10 am

Used our FREE search on: Reset ordernumber? (It is a link, please click it)

Enought stuff to read and following the first topic found you would have found This (again a link, please click it)

You need to be able to use your phpMyAdim, contact your hoster if needed.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by PinkPearl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:36 am

i2Paq wrote:Used our FREE search on: Reset ordernumber? (It is a link, please click it)

Enought stuff to read and following the first topic found you would have found This (again a link, please click it)

You need to be able to use your phpMyAdim, contact your hoster if needed.
Thank you for your (clearly grudging) help. However, having followed the instructions in the last mentioned link all I get is an error message telling me the table doesn't exist.
There is a file called oc_order and if I click on structure there is a row called order_id. There is a change button next to it. Am I anywhere close? I tried inserting a number in the "default" box after previously changing the drop-down to "as defined" before I made the last post - but it didn't do anything.
I am not asking these questions to make your life deliberately difficult, but because I haven't been able to find an answer that I can make work. I have successfully used the forum to solve other problems before.
Regards.

Post by i2Paq » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:13 am

So you use a prefix?

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE `oc_order`  AUTO_INCREMENT =10000
Where 10000 should be what you want it to be.

This needs to be run in phpMyAdmin, not done in the order-table itself.

So in phpMyAdmin click on the database-name, then you should see some Tabs, one calles Structure, another called SQL "Run SQL query/queries on database".
Here is where you should run the above code.

And sorry for my "rudeness" but most people say that they have searched, read and used solutions found on these forums but they never tell what they have found, done and what the result was.
Your post here is basically the same ;)

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by PinkPearl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:04 am

i2Paq wrote:So you use a prefix?

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE `oc_order`  AUTO_INCREMENT =10000
Where 10000 should be what you want it to be.

This needs to be run in phpMyAdmin, not done in the order-table itself.

So in phpMyAdmin click on the database-name, then you should see some Tabs, one calles Structure, another called SQL "Run SQL query/queries on database".
Here is where you should run the above code.

And sorry for my "rudeness" but most people say that they have searched, read and used solutions found on these forums but they never tell what they have found, done and what the result was.
Your post here is basically the same ;)
Thank you very much. I got this to work. Guess I could do with finding a tutorial on SQL databases and running queries. However, since first installing OpenCArt - which I like very much by the way, I have learnt an awful lot about amending/creating a template and customising the files by referring to the documentation and searching these forums. However, still got a lot to learn!
Kind regards,

Post by rocket » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks for the code i2Paq, works for me on 1.5.1.3