Post by capte » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 pm

I got to say the cart is amazing.

But the thing that annoys me the most is in the options tab ( in products )
The famous autocomplete for options.

If someone as 30 groups of options available, it could be quite annoying to try and remember the first letter of each group. Wouldn't it be better to simply have a dropdown or a list of group so you would simply click once on it. Instead of adding a letter, then selecting ... 1 click instead of 2.

Anyway if any one as an idea how we could convert the autocomplete box to either a dropdown or list please let me know.

Also if your simply thinking the same things... just drop a line .. maybe opencart will reconsider the use of autocomplete in the options tabs.

Post by uksitebuilder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 pm

and if you have 10,000 products with 100,00 options or more, still want a drop down list that will take forever to load ?

I'm being pedantic, but you get my point too right ?

ImageImageImageImageImage

For Friendly Professional Support - Click Here

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by rph » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 pm

uksitebuilder wrote:and if you have 10,000 products with 100,00 options or more, still want a drop down list that will take forever to load ?
That's not relevant at all. Autocomplete works on the option, not the option value.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by uksitebuilder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:54 pm

OK 10,000 options then still my point stands albeit a ridiculous one, but I can see why Daniel chose to do it this way.

I mean it used to be a drop down in previous versions did it not?, so he must have changed to autocomplete for a reason.

Guru Member

Post by SXGuy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 pm

why not switch it to drop down but change to auto complete after x amount of options are in the database.

Even have the option to turn it on or off.

Post by uksitebuilder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:01 am

Now that is a good idea

Guru Member

Post by capte » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:57 am

SXGuy ... Good idea ...

Guess I'll check it an see what could be done for that ...
If any of you have a piece of code let's start sharing it right here.

If the want to implement it later on in the system then great ...

Post by Brook » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:12 am

Replacing AutoComplete for Product Options with a dropdown box would be preferred.

Replacing AutoComplete for assigning Related Products with a listbox would be preferred. (Worked great in OpenCart v1.4.9.6). Let's accept that it is very possible to have multiple products with the same Product Name. Using AutoComplete to match on only Product Name does not make a lot of sense. Maybe using AutoComplete to match on a combination of Product Name and Product SKU or match on the combination of Product Name and Product Model would be preferred.

I fully understand why AutoComplete was introduced, but matching on Product Name is not always going to be unique for all OpenCart stores.

Please bring back dropdown boxes for Product Options. Please bring back the Listbox for assigning Related Products.

Thank you.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:38 am

Brook wrote:Replacing AutoComplete for Product Options with a dropdown box would be preferred.
Agreed

more on that topic here:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=20

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by rph » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:42 am

uksitebuilder wrote:and if you have 10,000 products with 100,00 options or more, still want a drop down list that will take forever to load ?

I'm being pedantic, but you get my point too right ?
I'm assuming Daniel separated the product options out to reduce the amount of redundant data in OpenCart. Obviously every installation is going to be different but I saw a cart with several thousand products reduce 500 individual product options down to 11 option groups. Where things have the ability to really go off the rails is option values but those already use select dropdowns (and I've seen them populated with nearly 200 options without a problem).

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Brook » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:35 pm

Does anyone have an alternative for AutoComplete in OpenCart 1.5.1.3?

My challenge is that I have multiple products with the same Product Name, but different Product SKUs and Product Models. Product SKUs and/or Product Models are unique. Let's say I type a Product Name using AutoComplete, 4 or 5 products with the same name may appear, which one is the correct Product, I cannot tell because I am using SKU and/or Model to uniquely identify products.

Is there anyway of adding SKU next to the Product Name using the AutoComplete feature?

Replacing AutoComplete for Product Options with a dropdown box would be preferred.

Replacing AutoComplete for assigning Related Products with a listbox would be preferred. (Worked great in OpenCart v1.4.9.6). Let's accept that it is very possible to have multiple products with the same Product Name. Using AutoComplete to match on only Product Name does not make a lot of sense. Maybe using AutoComplete to match on a combination of Product Name and Product SKU or match on the combination of Product Name and Product Model would be preferred.

I fully understand why AutoComplete was introduced, but matching on Product Name is not always going to be unique for all OpenCart stores.

Please bring back dropdown boxes for Product Options. Please bring back the Listbox for assigning Related Products.

Post by Brook » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 am

Does anyone have an alternative for AutoComplete in OpenCart 1.5.1.3 ? OpenCart 1.4.9.6 was really easy to use when assigning Related Products, filtering by a Category, Displaying Product Name and Product SKU in Listboxes, then selecting Products from Listboxes. I have multiple Products with the same Product Name so using AutoComplete does not help me know which Product I am selecting, I need to select a combination of Product Name and Product SKU. My Products are uniquely identified by Product SKU not Product Name. Has anyone developed anything for OpenCart 1.5.1.3 to replace AutoComplete?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post by mgrohan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 am

Any developments on this. The one gripe i have with my new 1.5 install. Thanks!

Post by Brook » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:25 am

No, unfortunately no one has come up with an alternative for AutoComplete. Here's to hoping that someone will take this enhancement on :)

Post by scot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:37 am

I agree with most of what is written above. i am building a new store and i do not like having to remember what my option group titles are.. so I named prefixed them all with a symbol like "-" example "-Color" "-Size" when working in the backend i hit - and they all show up just like a dropdown. This works for me for now. After i am done and get used to it i can change the names easily enough... no mods necessary. My problem with it is. i manipulate my entry, to make it work the way i want to, becasue i can't code or program... Could be considered garbage in = garbarge out. for now it is working for me. That trick may work for some of you. My 2 cents. I want to put SOLVED! can i?

Thank You,

Scot

Post by Brook » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 am

Scot, I am sincerely happy for you if your solution works for you. As you even mentioned, your solution is a work around. Great if it works for you, but replacing the AutoComplete Feature with a new way of choosing products would be preferred.

Especially when choosing Related Products. We should not have to remember our Products Names. I am sure that it makes sense for some, but OpenCart 1.4.9.6 seemed like it worked just fine. Using a Dropdown Box for the Product Category and Listboxes for Products, you could select a Product Category and then select your Product. Even better because you could display Model or SKU next to your product to uniquely idenify your Product.

Post by Alien_Technology » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:35 am

Has anyone come up with a good solution to replace or augment the autocomplete function with a select drop down?

Trying to remember all of our product names, options, etc. is a bit of a hassle. Looking them up on real paper just seems wrong.

I get the point of having 10,000 items in a select is not good (even as an extreme example), but pressing "s" and getting a smaller list of 1,000 does not seem to be all that much better. Besides, my PC can download a list of 10,000 items faster than I can remember them.

Maybe a good compromise of limiting the select list by typing in characters would make everyone happier.

Thanks to the authors for a great product.