Post by FnF » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:39 am

I accidentally tripped over the fact that OC v1.5.1.2 has been released since yesterday.
I still dont see anything on the forums either, did I miss that?
It wasnt mentioned on the OC news feed and I just happen to decide to hit the download button to see if any new version had been released but kept a secret, and waaaa laaa! :choke:

I'm still completely amazed and horribly confused as to why the new versions are STILL not being labeled as such once they are installed.
Version 1.5.1.2 still shows itsself as being version 1.5.1 just like version 1.5.1.1 did.
I do not understand how anyone is suppose to be able to keep track of their site updates when none of these updates actually change the internal version number.
I'm converting several stores for several clients from Virtuemart, and OSCommerce to OpenCart and this is turning out to be a major frickin headache all because of that.
Why????? Why is this being done like this? Is something being hidden? Is there a reason behind masking these version numbers like this?
I just do not understand it.

FnF

Post by cantykiwi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:54 am

Post by FnF » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks cantykiwi, that actually galvanizes what I'm whining about. Updates being hidden in other threads, and versions not changing version numbers :-\

This version not changing version numbers has been an on ongoing issue but it never gets addressed. Heck the 1.5 series took on 6 different version updates BEFORE 1.5.1
and
and
and
and
and
...and they ALL said they were version 1.5.0 internally.
Absolutely no way to know what version your on....coming from....going to...or installing. ???

FnF

Post by cantykiwi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:21 am

Yeah I know what you mean, can get confusing going back to old installs and trying to figure out which version they are.

I always edit the index.php file now after I download a new version and put the FULL version number in there if it is not already to save future confusion.

You'll be pleased to know then that the current svn index.php file currently says it is at v1.5.1.3 ;)

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:43 am

FnF wrote:Thanks cantykiwi, that actually galvanizes what I'm whining about. Updates being hidden in other threads, and versions not changing version numbers :-\

This version not changing version numbers has been an on ongoing issue but it never gets addressed. Heck the 1.5 series took on 6 different version updates BEFORE 1.5.1
and
and
and
and
and
...and they ALL said they were version 1.5.0 internally.
Absolutely no way to know what version your on....coming from....going to...or installing. ???
Well actually 1.5.1 claimed it was 1.5.0 as well.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:44 am

cantykiwi wrote:
You'll be pleased to know then that the current svn index.php file currently says it is at v1.5.1.3 ;)
what's worse is that what's in SVN should become 1.5.2

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by cantykiwi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:49 am

:) Agreed, there has been a lot of changes, maybe it will become v1.5.2 by the time it is officially released. ;D

Post by Johnathan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:21 pm

This issue has been brought to Daniel's attention numerous times, but apparently he doesn't see the importance. I have no idea why he refuses to change it.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by FnF » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 am

Whats going on Daniel?
I gotta be honest I'm loving what Open Cart has become, and coming from OS and VM makes it look even better ;D
But when dealing with numerous installs over numerous clients like I am, this is nothing but pure hell with these version numbers.
Daniel, what would it take to get things changed up to follow the standard rule of thumb for Software Versioning

FnF

Post by rph » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:21 pm

FnF wrote:Daniel, what would it take to get things changed up to follow the standard rule of thumb for Software Versioning
A miracle. This has been asked for forever.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska