Post by uksitebuilder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:27 pm

The only time postage is VAT Free (for the UK at least) is when you sell postage stamps.

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by SXGuy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:41 pm

uksitebuilder wrote:The only time postage is VAT Free (for the UK at least) is when you sell postage stamps.
haha thats cost stamps are zero rated, so nothing to charge vat on.

Post by uksitebuilder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 pm

exactamundo

Guru Member

Post by mberlant » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 am

SXGuy wrote:
uksitebuilder wrote:The only time postage is VAT Free (for the UK at least) is when you sell postage stamps.
haha thats cost stamps are zero rated, so nothing to charge vat on.
Let me try to wrap my head around this. If you charge your customer for shipping, then you must apply VAT. But, if you sell the correct value of postage stamps to the customer and then stick them on his outgoing package as a courtesy, does that mean that the very same postage is not subject to VAT?

Please use proper English at all times, so that all members may understand you.

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 am

No, hehe

Basically Shipping should be charged with VAT Added to it period.

Only the post office and other similar outlets that sell stamps are allowed to charge zero rated VAT on them

If you sell stamps online they are zero rated but you must charge VAT on the postage to send them out ;)

Guru Member

Post by sculptex » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:22 am

mberlant wrote:Please announce the results of your investigation. I fear that, while this is a very slick way of getting prices to display the way you want, you will end up with calculation problems in the shopping cart and at checkout. OpenCart will have difficulties trying to reconcile the devalued GBP used for display with the full rate GBP needed to collect money for your store.

What you may end up needing to do is to create a dummy currency, devalued as you have for the purposes of display, whilst forcing everyone to check out in the real GBP currency.
I actually tried that first, I created a currency called INV (INclsive of Vat) and set that to 0.8333333333. But then it came up as another currency on the list in the cart and I don't think I could get the default admin currency to be different to the shop currency. However, I agree that would be the better way to go and would be 100% maintainable.

An alternative (if it has not already been mentioned) would be a bit of javascript to allow entry of EX or INC vat prices and have the other field auto update I guess.

So, I have not really progressed much with this as I have a few other aspects to investigate before I commit creating a whole store.

ImageImage

Location - UK

Post by uksitebuilder » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:50 am

here goes a quick hack, assuming all your prices are vatable @ 20%

although, you can just manually enter whatever you wish in the ex vat box if the item is non vatable, the inc vat box will just look odd. The inc vat box servers no other purpose than for the calculation. It is the ex vat box value that gets stored in the DB

open: admin/view/template/catalog/product.tpl

find

Code: Select all

<tr>
              <td><?php echo $entry_price; ?></td>
              <td><input type="text" name="price" value="<?php echo $price; ?>" /></td>
            </tr>
change to

<tr>
              <td><?php echo $entry_price; ?></td>
              <td>exc. VAT -> <input type="text" class="exvat" name="price" value="<?php echo $price; ?>" /> inc. VAT -> <input type="text" name="incvat" class="incvat" value="<?php echo number_format(($price*1.2),2,'.',''); ?>" /></td>
            </tr>
then at the bottom

before

<?php echo $footer; ?>
add

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
$('.incvat').bind('change keydown keyup',function (){
   $('input.exvat').val(($(this).val()/1.2).toFixed(4));
});
$('.exvat').bind('change keydown keyup',function (){
   $('input.incvat').val(($(this).val()*1.2).toFixed(2));
});
//--></script>
vQmod file if you want it:

Guru Member

Post by sculptex » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:57 am

Forgot to mention about this.

VAT on delivery should be charged at the same rate as the goods.
So if all goods are zero rated, the delivery VAT should be zero rated.
If the goods are 20% vat, the delivery should be 20% vat
If there is a mixture, vat must be charged. I just charge the higher rate in this instance but apparently you can apportion the vat rate to the amount on the goods.

I have been doing this for years, I was advised by a book supplier friend who has this situation a lot but I suggest you check with HMRC yourself!

WOW- that was a quick hack, great stuff!

ImageImage

Location - UK

Post by uksitebuilder » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:05 am

just re-upped the vqmod as I had put a non-existent filename :)

View a demo over at

http://www.designs.org.uk/admin
Username: demo
Password: demo

Guru Member

Post by uksitebuilder » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 am

edited one final time to work both ways now - see the demo above

Guru Member

Post by rmi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Does this work on 1.4.9.x?

rmi

Post by zapalniczek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Open cart 1.5.1 perfect script!!!
Works for Polish problem in this topic!
THX

Post by thegeekz » Tue May 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi uksitebuilder,

I'm looking at using the VQMOD for this mod, however have a question, as my client is based in Singapore.... We'll need to change the VAT wording to GST.

Is that possible in your VQMOD ?

And our tax rate here is 7%

Kindly clarify...

P.S: When I use Excel to open the XML, there's only :

UKSB Inc and Exc VAT Price Boxes 1.0 1.2.3 http://www.opencart-extensions.co.uk/

IS that supposed to be right?

Regards

Faustine

EDIT: Nevermind found the correct way to do it!

No more using Apsona, as they are not updated.

• Every upgrade -- rem. 2 reinstall vqmod & mindful of modules w/ VQmod -- E.g Import / Export Tool by MHC

Post by dvh » Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 pm

What an infuriating and enlightening thread.

UKsitebuilder thank you for coming up with a solution. At least one developer understands the reality of what business users actually face. Some of you guys should really be working for MS with your "we're right, you're wrong" attitude towards users.

dvh

Post by i2Paq » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Works on 1.5.4.x!

I use also: Deafult Tax Class.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Ljubo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:44 am

hhhmmm...
I would need to set different display of prices to retail and to wholesale customer groups.
for one, lets say retail, emphasis would be on prices including VAT (and perhaps showing only that price), while for the wholesale the emphasis would be on prices excluding VAT, but also showing price with VAT in smaller letters.
any ideas how I could do it?
multistore is not an option because I am already using them for other purposes, and that is 9 of them.

perhaps it could be done with discount tab.
i.e. retail price is 100$, wholesale price is 90$ which is set at discount tab for wholesale customer group.
now, I suppose there has to be some if else function in tpl file in order to display prices in different manners, depending if there is discount price active or not.
for retail customer for example, price including VAT should be standing either alone or much bigger than the price without VAT. On the other hand, for wholesale customer, should probably see the price without VAT in bigger font than the price including VAT.

can anybody help me with this?

Location - Serbia

Post by thegeekz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi .

How can I make this VQMOD work for Discount tab and Special tab?

Thanks!

• Every upgrade -- rem. 2 reinstall vqmod & mindful of modules w/ VQmod -- E.g Import / Export Tool by MHC

Post by Ljubo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:17 pm

I have tried to upgrade it to have the same functionality for Discount tab...
let say it is working, but not at first.

it means that during first entering of the discount price, it would not let you do it correctly.
but, you can enter any number in the price box, along with dates in other boxes and save it.
after that, just edit it and it would work perfectly!

you can find it here:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 20#p347307

if someone could correct it to work better, or even upgrade it further to work for Special tab as well, it would be great.

EDIT:
I have made it to work for Special tab as well as it is working for Discount tab.
Not properly but is working on editing at least.
Feel free to correct it to work perfectly.
here is the link:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 41#p347741

Location - Serbia

Post by thegeekz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks for sharing.

Will try it out 1st.

I had an issue earlier, trying to implement this on my own....

For the discount portion, its chaotic, as there are multiple lines - -for different quantities.. then the numbers for the inc. GST was somehow fixed, depending on what my next entry is for each line of excl GST.

IE: If i enter $80 in excl GST, it will appear $85.60 -- incl gst and same $85.60 for each line ( different quantities).

That's why it baffles me in that way!

Post by thegeekz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Tried the "upgraded" version, but there were 2 problems.

I wonder if the experts or perhaps uksitebuilder could give a hint on how to solve the 2 issues.

In the Discount Tab, there are more than 1 line right... so each line, when I enter a different price for the Inc. VAT/GST, the Exc. TAX/GST became the same figure! Any way to solve this?

1st Line
Image A.jpg

Image A.jpg (30.49 KiB) Viewed 10709 times

2nd Line
Image B.jpg

Image B.jpg (28.57 KiB) Viewed 10709 times

And lastly, there is a problem if I add in additional line no matter to the Discount tab or the Special tab in this manner - The last field would disappear -- become 1 column short.

Image D.jpg

Image D.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 10709 times

I confirm the original codings without the XML file here, is alright. no missing fields.

Help anyone?

Thank you.