Post by Dubblicious » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Hello everyone.
I have searched Google , checked the list of tutorials here on this forum, searched this forum, and read the documentation, but I am unable to find clear instruction on how to create a drop down selection menu.
I am building my first store and I am using Opencart v1.5.0.5 . I need for this for print sizes ( from 8x10 up to 30x40 ) I will have 5 different sizes to choose from. I wrote "colours" in the title for people searching this topic because I can't be the only one looking for the solution to this.
The closest I've come to finding a answer was something Qphoria had wrote.
"Drop downs for size/color/etc are called Product Options. You can add those from the admin area.
First create the Option, then link it to the Product."
Is it different in v1.5.0.5 than previous versions ?

Does anyone know of a clearly written tutorial on how to do this, or can anyone describe in more detail how to create a drop down selection menu in Opencart.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Last edited by Dubblicious on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 pm

It is different in 1.5

In 1.5 go to catalog->options Then click the insert button. Enter the option name for instance Size and choose what type of option (in your case it will be a select option since you want a dropdown). Then click the Add option value button and enter the name of the first option in your case maybe 8x10 and set a sort order if it is going to be the first one just start with 1 then the next one would get 2 etc. Once you've added all the options you want then click save. Now goto catalog->products and edit a product click on the option tab. On the left hand side you will see a text entry box with a + sign next to it. in that box start typing the option name in this case size the available options will dropdown in an autocomplete list. Click on size. Now on the right hand side you choose if that option is required or not then click the add option value button and choose the option you want from the list. Repeat till you have all the values you want and click save.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Dubblicious » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:56 pm

Thank you Xsecrets, your reply solved my problem. I was close in doing it, but I was stuck at "in that box start typing the option name". I just clicked on the plus sign instead of typing and of course nothing happened but as soon as I started typing it auto-filled with my option name and everything worked. :)