Post by dogmad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:10 am

hello i was wondering what the bester html editor is to edit opencart templates am currently looking at dreamweaver and expression web

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:55 am

well out of those two I would certainly choose dreamweaver.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by dogmad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 am

yeah i was wondering if you can use expression web as it cheaper

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 pm

well I haven't used it, but isn't that the editor that does not even have a code view? if so it will be pretty much useless for doing templates in opencart.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by marc_cole » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:14 am

Unfortunately, Dreamweaver won't help you much either, since OC's templates don't use placeholders. All you're going to see (for the most part) is a blank screen with PHP tags where the code should be. Personally, I wish OC used a templating system that had XML style placeholders, similar to PHPTAL, so we could use apps like Dreamweaver to make our templates. It would sure make designing templates a lot easier.

OpenCart v1.4.9.4
VQMod | Categories Home | Cleaner By Default - 2 Column | Speak Good English

Location - Seattle, WA

Post by penguincoding » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:11 am

Notepad for the win.

or if you want somthing a bit more advanced use CoffeCup HTML Editor.

Love the Code (TM)

:)

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:06 am

marc_cole wrote:Unfortunately, Dreamweaver won't help you much either, since OC's templates don't use placeholders. All you're going to see (for the most part) is a blank screen with PHP tags where the code should be. Personally, I wish OC used a templating system that had XML style placeholders, similar to PHPTAL, so we could use apps like Dreamweaver to make our templates. It would sure make designing templates a lot easier.
well it's not like opencart is alone in this. I've never even seen a project that uses PHPTAL, and in my mind that's a pretty steep requirement as pretty much no server is going to have that loaded.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by marc_cole » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 am

Xsecrets wrote:I've never even seen a project that uses PHPTAL, and in my mind that's a pretty steep requirement as pretty much no server is going to have that loaded.
I wasn't necessarily advocating the use of PHPTAL. I said "similar to". Why couldn't OC have something like that built-in? This could open the door to designers who don't know or care about learning PHP, or who don't want to have to install OC on a server just to see what the page they're working on is going to look like. It just makes sense from a design perspective — especially if you're visually oriented.

I am NOT a graphic designer, but I love using Dreamweaver to design my sites. It just makes it so much easier to do some things graphically instead of in the code. Unfortunately, OC forces me to code my templates by hand. I'm not going to "jump ship" because of it, but it would sure be nice.
Xsecrets wrote:well it's not like opencart is alone in this.
I know this is going to sound snippy — it's not meant to — but what does that have to do with anything? What's wrong with being different? If we had a template placeholder system built-in and no one else did, that's just another "selling point" for us. I'm all for doing things to make OC stand out in the crowd, and this is one of them.

Not that you asked or anything... ;)
Last edited by marc_cole on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

OpenCart v1.4.9.4
VQMod | Categories Home | Cleaner By Default - 2 Column | Speak Good English

Location - Seattle, WA

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 am

well regardless of what you use it will still require designers to learn something phptal still uses variables and loops conditionals etc you just have to learn basically a whole new language. It's the same with smarty and all other templating systems. I've never really seen the point, though I have to admit it's pretty nice how you can have sample data with phptal, though implementing a complete templating system like that would be a huge job, so that is most likely the reason it will never happen.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US