Post by Gilmore » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:24 am

I noticed on orders that are Digital Downloads, the Shipping Method under Admin>Orders doesn't show how it was shipped when you look at a Customers order that has a Digital Download on it. Is there a way to fix this so when you have products with the downloads that it could display Digital Download instead of blank?

Thanks!
Gilmore

Post by Qphoria » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:05 am

You'd probably think you know that if its a product that wasn't shipped, that must mean it is a digital download

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by Gilmore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:21 am

One would think one would know this, but Q, people are dumber than a box a rocks sometimes. Today makes the 4th customer this week that didn't know form all the crap I have on the site that they are getting a Digital Download, ask me why the Shipping Method is blank! So I do see a need for it so the Customer has one more thing to NOT read! lol But still if we can have it show the Shipping Method: Digital Download , it would be really nice! It's not so much for me as it is for the piece of min of the Customers. Ok...I lied it is for my piece of mind so I don't have to answer their emails and try to nicely explain what it already says that they didn't read! lol Not to mention, it makes the cart look more complete and such! ;D
So if the product has a downloadable item associated with it, then the shipping knows to be blank, then it should know to print Digital Download or whatever you edit the language file to read. Isn't this possible?

Thanks!

Gil

Post by Qphoria » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:01 am

lol well then a shipping module could be created for that I guess...

But I don't understand why a customer would need this... the question sounded like you were working for a moron client that didn't know his own products were downloaded.. this sounds like the customer can't choose a shipping option which would imply that you have the product "requires shipping" set to YES but there are no shipping options available because of whatever reason. A customer doesn't just make up missing data.. I think there is some confusion here on the setup for some of these products

Administrator

Post by Gilmore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

I think you missed my last one completely! I don't know where I mentioned the Customer makes up data!
Please re-read it and you may see I am asking when you have a product setup as a download, the Shipping Method that is printed on the email sent to the Customer (person who just bought the item) doesn't get to see Shipping Method: Download

It doesn't let you select Download as a shipping option other than the radio button to Allow Downloads on the System>Settings page. Am I missing something? On the products there is nothing to allow you to set the shipping as a download other than the Links page to link that download to that product.

It would just make it look more complete on the Customer's end! That equals one more thing that makes OC be that much more complete in how it fills out the forms it emails out.

I mean the cart knows the product is a download, why not have it say that when that is what is selected if all that is ordered is downloadable products? I don't see why you would need a whole shipping module. Like I said, the cart already knows this is going on, so it should know what to show in the Shipping Method place on the email form sent to the Customer.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Gilmore wrote:I think you missed my last one completely! I don't know where I mentioned the Customer makes up data!
Please re-read it and you may see I am asking when you have a product setup as a download, the Shipping Method that is printed on the email sent to the Customer (person who just bought the item) doesn't get to see Shipping Method: Download
Right.. and I'm saying why would a customer miss something that isn't there. Remember I make a living making downloadable files from my site. I have 106 mods on the my site, all downloadable. Never have I had a customer ask me why his invoice doesn't say "Download" under shipping. Clearly they bought a download from me. They checked out, and they downloaded it.

I suppose maybe in a regional thing where everybody uses invoices for records and has to show somewhere on the invoice that the item was a downloaded good. But its not likely that customers expect to see shipping: download as that isn't really even a shipping. A downloadable product won't have any shipping which is why you set the "Require shipping" to NO.. then no shipping option is requested.

You could make a mod for downloadable products to simulate the fact that it is a shipping method... it would basically be free shipping that only applies itself to products that have downloads associated. But that would require you to enable shipping. Then you will get people asking why they have a shipping address option for a downloaded product.

Administrator

Post by Gilmore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Never mind! It seemed simple enough since the cart knows it's a download. Also the difference between your Customers and mine, yours are computer literate! Mine are simple novice users who seem to question any and everything! I too make a living selling downloads and I get questions from the non-computer savy people nearly every day!

It's when people ask little questions that get blown off as being non important to the person answering the questions is what starts to kill a program! I know because that was the biggest turn off when you would ask a question to OSC community!

I was simply thinking how nice it would be to see the cart actually cares about having the form filled to look that much more professional instead of leaving an incomplete look to the Customer who is NOT an OpenCart user!!!

Keep that in mind Q, that not ALL Customers who use this cart are computer programmers, experts or anything else! We don't all sell MODS! So to think you can compare your Customer base to mind is ridiculous! That is like saying just because I know how to do Brain Surgery, you should not question how I do it! So I leave part of your brain out. My other patients didn't seem to mind, why do you?