Post by drrevans » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:30 pm

My host set session path so this works now with no warnings.

Post by johnp » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:18 am

Glad you got it sorted. I would now upgrade to 1.5.6.5 on PHP 7.4 and get a stable working site. Then, plan your further upgrades from there. :)

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by drrevans » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:36 am

I want to get it upgraded to the latest version of Open Cart. This is the best route to get it there?

Post by johnp » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:07 am

It's what I would do personally but everyone has their own preferred method.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by drrevans » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:26 pm

Ok, thank you.

Post by drrevans » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:00 pm

One of the changes caused my Wordpress site to go into limbo so the technical person suggested that I change my php and she was trying all kinds of versions which now my store is broken. It comes up but it is just text. It is like my theme is gone and/or the css is gone. Have you ever seen this before: http://www.gilesmitchellconnection.org/store/. I have discovered that my Wordpress site works better with v7.3 and up and she set to v7.4 which may be another reason why my store is a hot mess now. Anyway, I just want to get my store back working and then I will upgrade to the 1.56 first.

Post by OSWorX » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:37 pm

One of the most worst things you can do, is having WordPress AND OpenCart inside the same account!
Why?
Search this forum and you will read how dangerous that can be.

Second, as long as you load not the css, the store will look as it is now.
Don't know what you (or someone else) have done.

Third: never "play" around with settings on a live store.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Wrong config files

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by drrevans » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:14 pm

I don’t play around with live store. It had to be one of the tech people that I had looking at it to come up with plan to upgrade or when the host tech was helping me fix my other issue. I backed up my store files last week when it was working fine. Will have the right configuration files in that backup. I had been very careful not touch my store folder because of fear of this.

When you say don’t have word press and OpenCart on the same account, what do you mean? My main website was changed to Wordpress which I regret now and the only way I could keep my store going was to move the folder under the main folder of my site but I don’t share databases or anything with the Wordpress stuff.

Post by OSWorX » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:02 pm

drrevans wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:14 pm
When you say don’t have word press and OpenCart on the same account, what do you mean?
As can be seen at some posts here in this forum, whenever a OpenCart store was "hacked", the "evil" was always WordPress.
Why?
WP needs to be updated very quickly, otherwise it will open doors for those "script kiddies".
WP is known as one of the most unsecure CMS in this world - if not updated and if (as many doing) using modules from sites which are spreading only infected scripts.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by drrevans » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 pm

Ok, thank you for the information. It was not my idea to go with WordPress but I will make sure it stays updated as I have started our family tree pages there and I would hate to start all over.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 am

drrevans wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 pm
Ok, thank you for the information. It was not my idea to go with WordPress but I will make sure it stays updated as I have started our family tree pages there and I would hate to start all over.
There are a few different options to keep Wordpress and Opencart secure. Of course the basics apply of keeping the software up to date and all passwords strong and unique. You can also look into using a firewall for both Wordpress and Opencart. You can also consider moving one of the sites to a separate hosting plan. This will accomplish 2 things. 1) You can use a different version of PHP for each site, if needed and 2) If one site gets hacked, the hack can't easily spread to the second site.

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:02 am

EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 am
You can use a different version of PHP for each site, if needed
You can do that on single hosting...so skip that.

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:25 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:02 am
EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 am
You can use a different version of PHP for each site, if needed
You can do that on single hosting...so skip that.
Not if you have 2 sites where one is the main domain and the other is in a subfolder such as domain.com/store

If the second site is on a subdomain, yes, you can set a different PHP version there

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:24 pm

EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:25 am
Not if you have 2 sites where one is the main domain and the other is in a subfolder such as domain.com/store
Yes, you can from .htaccess

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by drrevans » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:47 pm

I am totally confused. Right now I am taking my backup to my site back working on my local host first. If I can have 2 sites using .htaccess, is there somewhere I can read up on how to do that?

Post by by mona » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:05 pm

Search google for
"opencart and wordpress on the same site"

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 pm

.htaccess option only work if that server has many versions of PHP installed.

if in Cpanel PHP version is set to 7.4 and you want store to work on 7.0, just edit .htacces from that store and add

Code: Select all

AddType application/x-lsphp70 .php5 .php4 .php .php3 .php2 .phtml
My opinion is better pay someone to upgrade you store...

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Gergely » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:23 pm

drrevans wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:00 pm
One of the changes caused my Wordpress site to go into limbo so the technical person suggested that I change my php and she was trying all kinds of versions which now my store is broken. It comes up but it is just text. It is like my theme is gone and/or the css is gone. Have you ever seen this before: http://www.gilesmitchellconnection.org/store/. I have discovered that my Wordpress site works better with v7.3 and up and she set to v7.4 which may be another reason why my store is a hot mess now. Anyway, I just want to get my store back working and then I will upgrade to the 1.56 first.
Hi drrevans,

I completely agree with the "hot mess" assessment.
There are more than one reasons your css is not loaded:
  • HTTP_SERVER & HTTPS_SERVER is probably not configured correctly in config.php & admin/config.php, they should both start with https://
  • The href in the sytlesheet link is incorrect:
    it is: "catalog/view/theme//stylesheet/stylesheet.css"
    should be: "catalog/view/theme/default/stylesheet/stylesheet.css" or other theme_name
This is solely in response to your css issues, and will not solve all your problems, as you can gauge by other's comments and that this topic is nearing 40 posts now. In general, I don't think there are any shortcuts when upgrading opencart: you need to rebuild your system in the new version, then migrate your data. But that's just my tuppence worth...

Hope this helps

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:15 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 pm
I realize Opencart doesn't have an 'official release' yet to support PHP 8.0 - hopefully that is coming soon.
Current version 3.0.3.8 has a minimum of php 7.4.x
The new and coming version 4.x has php 8.x