Post by newtech » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi,
I'm working with Opencart 1.5.1.3. Selling goods throughout Europe, I need to apply different VAT rates based on shipment address.

So, based on the Opencart documentation, I did the following:
- Removed the country with the rate to be managed from the pre-existing geo-zone "Europe" which is subject to VAT 22%
- Created a new geo-zone with the country with the rate to be managed
- Created a new tax rate. In the options I have specified the geo zone, referred to in the previous point, and selected all the available customers groups.
- In "tax class -> taxable goods" I entered the new tax rate specifying “based on: shipping address”.

At the end of the every step I've saved, of course.

At this point, by placing an online order with delivery of goods in the country used for the test (Luxembourg), the VAT at 22% is still applied instead of the expected 17%. I can't understand why.

Can anyone help me ?
Thanks in advance
Massimo

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 am

Sound about right. If a country in not in the zone for your 22% tax rate then it shouldn't apply that tax. Check your settings again or check you don't have any extensions that could be affecting it.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by newtech » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Thank you for the answer. I check the settings again, maybe there is an error that I missed.

Post by newtech » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 pm

Hi,
I checked the settings but everything looks OK. I also tried to reset everything all over again but sadly, the result doesn't change.
Any idea?
Thank you

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:24 pm

Also bear in mind the VAT rate to be applied is usually the one of your EU country where your store is located, and from you ship.
Hence, define an EU geo-zone, and use it as the only geo-zone for your 22% tax rate. Define another geo-zone for rest of the world, and use that one for a 0% tax rate.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by newtech » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm

Hi,
as I writed in the first post we selling goods throughout Europe, so We need to apply different VAT rates based on shipment address (see new EU law about VAT application). The solution you proposed doesn't works for us.

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm

What you have in Store settings?

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by newtech » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:43 pm

In both "Use Store Tax Address:" and "Use Customer Tax Address:" I have set "Shipping address"

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:55 pm

In that Tax class named: "Based on shipping adress" you have added all Tax rates (based by geo zones)?

Then for each product you have added as Tax class: "Based on shipping adress"?

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by newtech » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:07 pm

I've a Tax class named "taxable goods", in that class i've added all tax rates based on shipping address. From the drop-down menu I can choose between: shipping address, payment address or store address

All the products have tax class named "taxable goods".

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:14 pm

Are you using any extensions, modifications or a theme that changes the checkout?

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by newtech » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 pm

No, we are using Classic blue theme.

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:36 pm

It could be a bug in the version you are using,. There were some issue with tax calculations in some of the 1.5.1.x versions. There is quite a long bug topic here, which you may find something. viewtopic.php?f=161&t=42226

It could also be a result of some modification or incomplete upgrade that has happened over time.

If you wanted to be sure you could install a clean download of your version to a test site and try to set that up. If that also has problems try the latest from the 1.5.x branch on a test site to see if that is any better.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Have you also checked both your PHP and OpenCart error logs?

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by newtech » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:19 pm

We try to check the error logs. Thank you for your help.