Post by Gilmore » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:29 am

I would like to gather some more information from my customers when they sign up. I would like to ask for a Model and How did you hear about us to the registration form. I would also like to be able to configure the How did you hear form us as a drop down box with my preselected choices.
The more I thought about it and looked at how the existing Registration Form layout, It hit me that adding in another group like how the Newsletter is it's own, that you could adding a new one that could be Additional Information. Add the fields and text from the Admin just as other Modules do. Then you could add as many extra fields you want to the Reg form.
Is this something that can be done?

Thanks!

Gilmore

Post by kedgetech » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:44 am

Gilmore wrote:I would like to gather some more information from my customers when they sign up. I would like to ask for a Model and How did you hear about us to the registration form. I would also like to be able to configure the How did you hear form us as a drop down box with my preselected choices.
The more I thought about it and looked at how the existing Registration Form layout, It hit me that adding in another group like how the Newsletter is it's own, that you could adding a new one that could be Additional Information. Add the fields and text from the Admin just as other Modules do. Then you could add as many extra fields you want to the Reg form.
Is this something that can be done?
Yes it can be done. You can use the extended details to store and get from the database. I dont think you need to actually create another group or module for this.

Location - USA, Australia, India

Post by Gilmore » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 am

I guess I shouldn't have asked if it could be done, but rather how to do it. And my thought was if it was a module, then you would be able to add as many fields as one would feel they need for their particular cart. Take a look at the existing Registration and you will see the Newsletter block. Adding a block below it would work perfectly for adding the fields.
Not every person who uses this is an expert programmer and may not be able to make the modifications in order to add the extra fields to the script or the database. I know I don't. I just follow the directions the programmers gives and cross my fingers I don't break something! I hope I am explaining it correctly.

Thanks!

Gilmore

Post by kedgetech » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:31 pm

We have created a similar sort of solution for one of our client registering the parents details with validations. Attached is the screen shot is it something similar you are after I can give some directions
extendedcolumns.jpg

extendedcolumns.jpg (239.62 KiB) Viewed 1393 times

Location - USA, Australia, India

Post by suhanto » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Of course I agree it can be done. Add some lines of code in the controller, some others in views, some others in model, and some others in language packs.

But when there's a new version of OpenCart, we have to redo what we have done in the new version. This is workable, but I think there should be a better way.

I like OpenCart, but when it comes to extensions, it suffers from the problem to touch the 'core' files. This is the part that I don't like. Compared to WordPress for example, they have plugins mechanism, where plugin files are stored in its own directory. WP also has many extensibility points like actions, filters, hooks, shortcodes, and widgets...

I hope OpenCart will get there soon...

And also, I still experience many code duplications. For example, the 'create user form' is duplicated at least in three area: create user, address, and guest_step_1. Changing one form requires you to also look after the others. This is in my opinion not good in the long run.

http://suhanto.net

Location - Jakarta, Indonesia

Post by Gilmore » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Yes Kedge! That is right along the line of what I was meaning! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Thanks!

Gilmore