Page 1 of 1

Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:54 pm
by Melanie
Strange one this. I update my stylesheet.css file, upload it, do a clear cache in the backend.

View the website and the change I made hasn't taken place!

I do a refresh, nothing. Clear browser cache etc, still nothing.

I can't figure out what is going on. I have tried it on different computers to no avail.

I have checked the source in my browser and the change is there, so the file has uploaded!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance guys.
Mel :'(

Re: Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:57 pm
by IP_CAM
just show us, what you tried to change, in your CSS-File, and tell us, what you're trying to achieve, in the first place.
Ernie
openshop.li

Re: Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:41 pm
by Melanie
Hi Ernie,

The change I made to the CSS file isn't the issue here, I have tested it and the change is fine.

It is simply not showing on the site. I am sure it is a caching issue of some sort.

(and I have tried to change a color of a menu bar as a test and also this doesn't take, despite the file uploading fine...)


Thanks,
Mel

Re: Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:17 pm
by EvolveWebHosting
Melanie wrote:Hi Ernie,

The change I made to the CSS file isn't the issue here, I have tested it and the change is fine.

It is simply not showing on the site. I am sure it is a caching issue of some sort.

(and I have tried to change a color of a menu bar as a test and also this doesn't take, despite the file uploading fine...)


Thanks,
Mel
Are you sure you're editing the right css file? Sometimes there's a .min version and that's where the changes need to be made. If you're using Firefox, install the Web developer extension.

Re: Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:32 am
by Melanie
EvolveWebHosting wrote:Are you sure you're editing the right css file? Sometimes there's a .min version and that's where the changes need to be made. If you're using Firefox, install the Web developer extension.
I believe I am yes. I am modifying the CSS files in the template directory.

The file uploads fine, I check the file on the FTP and the modification is there.

However when I check page source and then the CSS file the change is not present, hence why I cannot see it on the website.

Any ideas?

Where would the .min version be?


Thanks.

Re: Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:17 am
by artcore
You could add your own custom css stylesheet to override the OC one, this way you can easily upgrade and keep your changes. (you do have to add it back in header.tpl after an upgrade)

Add to catalog/view/theme/default/template/common/header.tpl:
<link href="catalog/view/theme/default/stylesheet/my_custom.css" rel="stylesheet">
Just before </head>
And create the file my_custom.css in the same folder as the href

Re: Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:22 am
by Melanie
artcore wrote:You could add your own custom css stylesheet to override the OC one, this way you can easily upgrade and keep your changes. (you do have to add it back in header.tpl after an upgrade)

Add to catalog/view/theme/default/template/common/header.tpl:
<link href="catalog/view/theme/default/stylesheet/my_custom.css" rel="stylesheet">
Just before </head>
And create the file my_custom.css in the same folder as the href
Hi,

The stylesheet I modified is already in the header.tpl!

Re: Stylesheet.css updates not showing on website

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:23 am
by EvolveWebHosting
Melanie wrote:
EvolveWebHosting wrote:Are you sure you're editing the right css file? Sometimes there's a .min version and that's where the changes need to be made. If you're using Firefox, install the Web developer extension.
I believe I am yes. I am modifying the CSS files in the template directory.

The file uploads fine, I check the file on the FTP and the modification is there.

However when I check page source and then the CSS file the change is not present, hence why I cannot see it on the website.

Any ideas?

Where would the .min version be?


Thanks.
If you can post your URL here or PM it to me, I can look up the exact file and location to give to you. Hard to see it otherwise. Every theme is different.