Post by AskMeTooFast » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:29 am

Hello All,
I am currantly using another cart and Arvixe. But I am having some major MAJOR issues,
I understnad there have been issues with Arvixe in recent weeks but i'm wondering if My issues are not because of Arvixe but because of the current cart i'm trying to use. It use to work fine as of Mid September. Then I come back to finally finish things up 2 weeks later and all heck has broke loose.
So i'm wondering those that use OpenCart and are on Arvixe are having issues, well those that are not having issues with Arvixe. of if you were having issues if you were able to simpley fix them.
I'm not really smart when it comes to web design and carts and all but My Use of PrestaShop before two weeks ago were perfect pretty much.
Any help you can give me if i should try switching carts or host would be hlepful. I am looosing so many customers and $$$$.
Thank You,
~ Veronica :)

Post by labeshops » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:45 am

You might want to read thru http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145518 Arvixe is having lots of issues since being sold.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by AskMeTooFast » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:50 am

labeshops wrote:You might want to read thru http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145518 Arvixe is having lots of issues since being sold.
Thank You Yes I have heard there are some isses there but i dont want to have to switch host but as i am trying at the moment to add OpenCart as my cart I am having issues,
I took Presta Off but if I cant get this to work i will need to switch. I dont know if it is true but i googled how long it takes to tranfer to anohter host and it says 5 days. :( my domian is with Enom which from my searches is not part of "Melbourne IT" (which only takes minutes) so it wil take days and i have already lost so so so so sooooo much time already.
I am so trying so hard right now. But dont' think my Business, Family nor health can take anymore of this :(

Post by Purebeads » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm glad that you started this thread, because I was about to start one of my own.

A year ago I signed up with Arvixe with the idea of testing more recent versions of OpenCart. The idea was to install OC 1.5 and get it up and running, and then re-route my domain name to Arvixe's site. I never had the time to do that, and I also decided that I preferred the look of OpenCart 1.4x. So my plan changed to this: I would renew my account with Arvixe and then transfer my entire site over from my old hosting company (which has become more expensive). I renewed my account in July. This month, however, I can't get through to them. First of all, their support hours have dropped from 24/7 to 10 hours a day. In the last two days I have called them three times and had to hang up after about 30 minutes of being on hold and listening to their Muzak. I then sent an email to qa@arvixe.com asking them what was going on, and I got no response. This is not the same company that I first signed up with.

So, with my tail between my legs, I went back to my current hosting company and struck a two-year deal with them to stay on. My current company -- Westhost -- has done some things to irritate me, but they are reliable. Their support department is 24/7 and is manned by very knowledgeable Americans. Over the years, the things they did that irritated me were: They kept changing the features of my account as their hosting plans kept changing. Bandwidth and storage space usually went up, but sometimes they would remove a feature. Their prices have gone up (but not drastically). They suddenly took the FrontPage extensions off my site because the extensions were old and Westhost thought they were no longer secure. They gave me inadequate notice that my SSL certificate would be expiring, and my site stopped working. However, they are very reliable, and they are definitely on top of their game technically (they are British owned). So I'll be staying with them. (They have been my host for nine or ten years.)

Now I'm kicking myself for having renewed my Arvixe site for a year. I will ask for a refund, but I doubt that they will give it to me. Wasted money.
Last edited by Purebeads on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:56 pm

AskMeTooFast wrote:
labeshops wrote:You might want to read thru http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145518 Arvixe is having lots of issues since being sold.
Thank You Yes I have heard there are some isses there but i dont want to have to switch host but as i am trying at the moment to add OpenCart as my cart I am having issues,
I took Presta Off but if I cant get this to work i will need to switch. I dont know if it is true but i googled how long it takes to tranfer to anohter host and it says 5 days. :( my domian is with Enom which from my searches is not part of "Melbourne IT" (which only takes minutes) so it wil take days and i have already lost so so so so sooooo much time already.
I am so trying so hard right now. But dont' think my Business, Family nor health can take anymore of this :(
Hi,

Switching hosts does not take 5 days. Often, the switch is made within the hour (especially when you're going from a cPanel to cPanel setup). Transferring the domain name can take longer but that is done in the background and does not effect your website from loading. We transfer these on a regular basis with no issues.

Hope that helps clarify some of this for you.

DL

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by s982714 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi Veronica,
I have been with Arvixe since Jan 2013 (PersonalClassPlan) and they were providing good product and service.
starting from mid of Sep, everything changed:
* the website is going down very frequently.
* if accessible, the website is very slow.
* they are getting back to your S.O.S email 4 days later!

my website has been down for 3 days and I cannot reach them.

I wish you the best.

Post by Purebeads » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:39 am

I just want to add a quick note. Complaints to Arvixe and EIG got me a refund. Someone called me up and apologized and essentially said that the switch to the new owner has caused some problems, and that they are working on them. I managed to get a good two-year deal from my current host, so I am sticking with them. In two years, if Arvixe has got their act together, I'll consider switching over to them.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:41 am

Purebeads wrote:I just want to add a quick note. Complaints to Arvixe and EIG got me a refund. Someone called me up and apologized and essentially said that the switch to the new owner has caused some problems, and that they are working on them. I managed to get a good two-year deal from my current host, so I am sticking with them. In two years, if Arvixe has got their act together, I'll consider switching over to them.
Glad to hear they worked with you and you got the deal you wanted.

It's interesting, I thought EIG also owns WestHost. Maybe I'm wrong?

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Post by Purebeads » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:10 am

Westhost has been owned by a British company, UK2 Group, since 2008. In 2011, UK2 Group was acquired by Lloyd's Development Capital. I don't know anything about Lloyd's, but with that name, I'm assuming they are British also.

Their personal plan supports only one domain and one database. The database limit may be the reason a module I recently purchased didn't work, so I wanted to upgrade to their next level, but it was too expensive. To keep me as a customer, they gave me the next level of hosting for two years, but they charged me for one year.

I just took a look at your hosting plans, and I'm amazed that you don't give any discounts for longer terms. That's standard in the industry. There should be SOME discount for purchasing a two- or three-year term. Westhost, on the other hand, goes overboard. They add $2 per month if you renew every three months instead of yearly.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:39 am

Purebeads wrote:Westhost has been owned by a British company, UK2 Group, since 2008. In 2011, UK2 Group was acquired by Lloyd's Development Capital. I don't know anything about Lloyd's, but with that name, I'm assuming they are British also.

Their personal plan supports only one domain and one database. The database limit may be the reason a module I recently purchased didn't work, so I wanted to upgrade to their next level, but it was too expensive. To keep me as a customer, they gave me the next level of hosting for two years, but they charged me for one year.

I just took a look at your hosting plans, and I'm amazed that you don't give any discounts for longer terms. That's standard in the industry. There should be SOME discount for purchasing a two- or three-year term. Westhost, on the other hand, goes overboard. They add $2 per month if you renew every three months instead of yearly.
Hi,

I agree there should be discounts and it's something we're in the process of calculating right now. This change should be made real soon. If it's not posted and you're curious about it, please send an email to sales@evolvewebhost.com for the details in the meantime.

Again, sorry it's not posted at the moment.

DL

Post by Purebeads » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:06 am

Is Evolve a new hosting company?

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:50 am

Purebeads wrote:Is Evolve a new hosting company?
We've been around since 2007 but our billing portal was recently changed and there are a few details (including longer term discounts) that weren't carried over during the change.

Post by Purebeads » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:12 am

EvolveWebHosting wrote:We've been around since 2007 but our billing portal was recently changed and there are a few details (including longer term discounts) that weren't carried over during the change.
Oh, I see. What I would suggest doing is to put a note to that effect on the site. Explain that the site will be updated to show the discounts soon. You may think that would look unprofessional, but people are understanding, especially if you say that the problem is due to an "upgrade" to the billing portal.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:16 am

Purebeads wrote:
EvolveWebHosting wrote:We've been around since 2007 but our billing portal was recently changed and there are a few details (including longer term discounts) that weren't carried over during the change.
Oh, I see. What I would suggest doing is to put a note to that effect on the site. Explain that the site will be updated to show the discounts soon. You may think that would look unprofessional, but people are understanding, especially if you say that the problem is due to an "upgrade" to the billing portal.
I appreciate the tip and we'll get a notification in place.

Thanks!

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:44 am

Purebeads wrote:
Hi,

Discounts are available for shared hosting now. Also, there's a coupon code in my signature for new signups.....

Will be working on the Ecommerce plans next.

Thanks.

Post by robocop1953 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:36 am

Everyone with ARVIXE seems to be having problems since the 'takeover' ... same story here, everything was working fine but now I'm having major email issues using Opencart on Arvixe (none of our sub-domain sites are providing email confirmations no matter what I try). When we first joined up with Arvixe four years ago, service and support were EXCELLENT but no more! Don't get me wrong the 'support technicians' are very helpful the problem is the ARVIXE system for support...they desperately need to increase the number of staff on hand to handle the 'increased volume' as well as a speedier 'online chat' system and 'ticket' system. You have to wait an hour (or more) to get through to them with their 'online chat' service and email responses are even slower ... 2 - 3 days! If you're problem is not solved or question not answered correctly then you have to wait even longer to go through the entire process again!!! All you get is the standard 'due to a high volume'....blah, blah, blah. Whomever took over Arvixe should have worked all this 'high volume' issue beforehand. I suspect it's not a high volume due to increased accounts but high volume due to the increase of problems that have arisen since Arvixe was taken over. I used to think Arvixe was great but not any more. Our company will definitely be looking for a new webhost next time around. Excuse the rant but can't seem to get anywhere with the issues I'm having. :'(
Last edited by robocop1953 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Purebeads » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:29 am

Here is a list of companies that are owned by EIG (Endurance International Group). The list was posted in 2014, but it is updated regularly by the blog owner. Naturally enough, I suggest you avoid all the hosting companies on the list.

http://www.webhostingchoose.com/busines ... ng-brands/

Arvixe remained a good company for a couple months after EIG took over, but then everything changed.

I sent an angry note to EIG in which I criticized them for taking over companies and then ruining them, and shortly after that someone named Scott White from Arvixe contacted me and offered me a refund. Now, if I have a problem, I email Scott White and it is fixed pretty quickly. However, the only service I am getting from Arvixe now is that they are the registrar for one of my domains (actually, Enom is the registrar, but it's through Arvixe).

Thank God that Westhost made a deal with me to keep me on. No matter what time of day I call them, they are there. However, they aren't perfect either. I am now purchasing an SSL certificate, and they forgot to send me an email which caused a three-day delay. Oh well. At least the problems eventually get fixed.

Post by robocop1953 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:12 am

Thanks for the information on EIG!!....I'll know who to avoid in future. Obviously they are only interested in gobbling up more and more services with little attention paid to improving support. Good to keep everyone informed of their ownership as most will be unaware and just jump to another 'sister' company without realizing it.

Post by Purebeads » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 am

I was really very fortunate. Arvixe was bought out in June (I think), and I paid for a year's hosting in July (when they still had 24-hour support). I then contacted them in late September or early October to start switching my site over, and that was when I discovered that they had reduced their help hours from 24 hours a day to 10, and that they weren't answering their phone. I had just enough time to renew with my old hosting company before my account expired.

Post by lucanm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 pm

I was surprised to see a major problem occurs with Arvixe. Many people say this is because Arvand Sabetian sell part Arvixe to EIG. I never thought before that big company like Arvixe could lose control like that. I was looking through the reviews about Arvixe, all of them say that they have a good service. But suddenly at the beginning of this month I see some of their customers complain about website down. More and more customers are complaining about the same thing. Whereas before I was thinking of buying their hosting package, but eventually I had to look for other options. Finally, I look for other options by reading some of the hosting reviews. Some of them recommend asphostportal, which was absolutely the right choice for me.