Post by js132 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Hello,

I have received a notification from PayPal that they will be updating the IPN system, and I wasn't sure if this will have any impact on us. We're using 1.5.6 along with PayPal and PayPal Pro to process transactions. Below is PayPal's message.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

--------------

Important PayPal dispute case tracking changes.

If you are currently using the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) process or the Case report in your current integration, we want to notify you of a change that may impact your business.

To ensure you don’t experience a disruption of PayPal service, we encourage you to make any applicable changes by July 7, 2015.

What is happening?

We’re enhancing our dispute management system to ensure you receive more detailed and timely information.

The first phase of this enhancement will encompass chargebacks and ACH bank returns. As part of this enhancement, we’ll be updating the format of the Case ID which is the unique identifier we assign to a dispute case.

Why is this happening?

Enhancing our dispute management system will provide more detailed, accurate, and timely information regarding disputes.

What do I need to do?

If you are directly integrating data from the IPN process and/or the Case report into your systems, you will need to ensure that your configuration will accept the format change for the unique dispute identifier as outlined here.

Data passed contains a case_id value. This value will now be formatted in two ways:

Existing format: PP-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX
New format: PP-D-XXXX

For the new format, XXXX is an integer. The “D” indicates the case is a dispute.

Effective July 15, cases will be identified using either ID format until the transition to the new dispute management system is complete. This is expected to take several years.

As a best practice, merchants are encouraged to integrate flexibly so that any future changes to the unique case identifier can be made without integration changes.

When is this happening?

We will begin generating cases using the new format after July 15. To avoid any disruption to the way you process IPNs or the Case report, please update your integration by this date.

Thanks for your patience as we continue to improve our services.

Your Merchant Services Support Team

---------------------------

Post by gtoc » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:55 am

Hi, this change comes in at the end of September. Does anyone know if this will effect the current payment paypal methods on 1.5+

thanks

Post by gtoc » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:00 am

My bad, its a new update but question remains the same -

PayPal is upgrading the certificate to SHA-256. This endpoint is also used by merchants using the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) product.

Post by stokeyblokey » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:54 pm

I have asked the same question but not received a reply yet...

Stokey

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:59 pm

One for Qphoria to answer, he's the Paypal expert here :-\

Update: I think this question is answered here:

https://www.paypal-knowledge.com/infoce ... cale=en_US

Basically, ask your webhost to make sure the server running your OpenCart site is SHA-256 compliant.

Qphoria, can you confirm that we understood it correctly?

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig

Expert Member

Post by siptec » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:22 am

I'm assuming that using the Standard PayPal Payment extension doesn't use IPN. Is this a correct assumption?

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:20 am

siptec wrote:I'm assuming that using the Standard PayPal Payment extension doesn't use IPN. Is this a correct assumption?
Wrong, PayPal Standard does use the IPN, the PayPal server calls back the OpenCart server with relevant payment messages, e.g. payment success etc. If I understand it correctly, the OpenCart server should use the secure protocol (SSL) and it needs to be SHA-256 compliant, the latter has to be confirmed by your webhost. Chances are that it already is.

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig

Expert Member

Post by Qphoria » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:One for Qphoria to answer, he's the Paypal expert here :-\

Update: I think this question is answered here:

https://www.paypal-knowledge.com/infoce ... cale=en_US

Basically, ask your webhost to make sure the server running your OpenCart site is SHA-256 compliant.

Qphoria, can you confirm that we understood it correctly?
What's Paypal? Is this some new fangled Buy-a-friend site? :joker:
As JN said, this is a server host/ssl compatibility thing.. As long as you didn't buy your server or your ssl certificate from the back of a van, you should have nothing to worry about. Use this site to check if your server is compatible:
https://www.sha2sslchecker.com/

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:22 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
siptec wrote:I'm assuming that using the Standard PayPal Payment extension doesn't use IPN. Is this a correct assumption?
Wrong, PayPal Standard does use the IPN, the PayPal server calls back the OpenCart server with relevant payment messages, e.g. payment success etc. If I understand it correctly, the OpenCart server should use the secure protocol (SSL) and it needs to be SHA-256 compliant, the latter has to be confirmed by your webhost. Chances are that it already is.
Agreed

Administrator

Post by stokeyblokey » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks Qphoria & JNeuhoff - I am glad you guys answered as I only have 10 days to get this upgraded before our site would stop taking payments.

And apologies for us non-coders being a pain in the neck...

Stokey

Stokey

Post by bravobongo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi,

I don't have SSl set up on my opencart install.

But I'm using PayPal for payments and IPN is being used.

Will this IPN update affect my site?

Thank you! :joker:

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:22 am

bravobongo wrote:Hi,

I don't have SSl set up on my opencart install.

But I'm using PayPal for payments and IPN is being used.

Will this IPN update affect my site?

Thank you! :joker:
It's the same for everyone. Whether you're using SSL or not, check with your hosting company. As long as the server software is up to date, you'll be all set.

https://www.evolvewebhost.com
$10.49 .com Registration and $9.99 .com Transfers in now
Guaranteed top level opencart performance and support. Risk free 30 day money back guarantee & free transfers.

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by bravobongo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:29 am

Thank you for the info I will check with the host.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 pm

You can simply check your site here:
https://www.sha2sslchecker.com/

Administrator