Post by awaix » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi,
Im looking for a mod or something which can help me sort out my issue with the search results.

we have products which are compatible with a lot different products as well as their variations.. we can not use those names and variations in the product descriptions but there are customers who will use those variations to search the item on the store.

For instance.. There is a camera battery charger: DE-A65
but people might search for "DE-A65A", "DE-A65B", "DE-A65BA", "DE-A66", "DE-A66A", "DE-A66B", "DE-A66BA"

So if we add these variations in our meta keywords, the search should check for the term in the meta keywords field and display the product accordingly.

also this particular model fits around 20 different camera models too.. we can not mention all the names of the models in the description either so we can add those models in meta keywords too.

So if the user searches for : DEA65 charger

it should check the meta keywords for exact phrase as "DEA65 charger" if nothing is found then do a broad search in "Model" field of the product.. as we would have model name DEA65 in other accessories for that particular model

does it make any sense? :S please if someone can help me out with the solution to this.
would really appreciate the help.
thanks.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:13 am

Smart Search can search in most product data fields, including meta keywords and tags.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by awaix » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:22 am

Ive seen the backend demo of smart search but the scenario is not covered in smart search.. the search im looking for should work like this.

when the keyword is entered it should look for the "Exact Phrase" of the keyword into the meta keywords field
if no result is found
then
do a broad search in the model field
if no result is found
then do a broad search in title field
end.

does smart search cover this scenario?

Post by Johnathan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:50 am

Smart Search has relevance rankings, which is the equivalent of what you're looking for. If you set the Meta Keywords field to a relevance of 1, the Model field to a relevance of 2, and the Name field to a relevance of 3, then it will combine the results in that order. So the most-relevant products (i.e. those that matched the meta keyword field) would appear first, followed by the other results.

I generally recommend this approach, since it gives more search results than simply stopping the search at a single field. For example, if just a single product was found that matched the meta keywords field, your scenario would result in a single search result, which isn't as useful for customers as returning as many results as possible. Customers can then browse through the results to find what they were looking for.

However, if you really wanted to stop the results after some have been found within a relevance ranking, I could give you a small edit that would do that in Smart Search. Just contact me at the e-mail address in the extension files once you've purchased the extension, and I can send it to you.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator