Post by AaronB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:52 am

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to all this website stuff so i know very little about everything.

I have an opencart website/webshop, but the collaboration with the previous webmaster? (if that is the correct term) who's company also hosted the site ended.

I have a complete database, so i was told i could transfer everything to a new host?.

My question is, what am i actually searching for?

As far as i understand i need a webmaster that also has a hosting ability, is this correct?

Than this person would be able to transfer my database and website to his servers and help me with maintaining the site?

Or is opencart designed to run it without support (eventually) and i just need a hosting company? and some initial help from someone to set everything up and get the webshop online and running.

Sorry for the incoherant rambling, but i dont quite understand everything.

All input is appreciated.

regards,

Aaron.

Post by tankueray » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:16 am

This:
Or is opencart designed to run it without support (eventually) and i just need a hosting company? and some initial help from someone to set everything up and get the webshop online and running.
As long as you are comfortable in the admin panel, you only need a Web developer for when you need to fix errors, add extensions that require code changes, or other code changes, like theme customization. Basically like a lawyer, keep a Web developer on retainer.

For hosting, I currently use Dreamhost and have been happy with them for 8 years, but my plan is renewing in January and I'm moving my sites to either Hostgator or Arvixe, as they have better prices for what I want. If you use any extensions that import and export your store data (to Excel or CSV for example), I'd recommend one of those two because they allow you to change your memory settings, which is required when using those types of extensions on 1.5.x (I don't know about 2.0, I haven't had time to do an install of it yet).

Post by AaronB » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:02 pm

tankueray wrote:This:
As long as you are comfortable in the admin panel, you only need a Web developer for when you need to fix errors, add extensions that require code changes, or other code changes, like theme customization. Basically like a lawyer, keep a Web developer on retainer.

For hosting, I currently use Dreamhost and have been happy with them for 8 years, but my plan is renewing in January and I'm moving my sites to either Hostgator or Arvixe, as they have better prices for what I want. If you use any extensions that import and export your store data (to Excel or CSV for example), I'd recommend one of those two because they allow you to change your memory settings, which is required when using those types of extensions on 1.5.x (I don't know about 2.0, I haven't had time to do an install of it yet).
Thanks a lot for your reply, i will google all the companys mentioned.

Post by markjacks » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:13 pm

Hostgator I think is offering the best deals out there but you need to double check their tech support first. I'm hearing "some" not good feedback from them since acquireed by EIG. Image

Post by sytra » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:17 am

We use Vidahost for all our sites, reasonable prices and very good support. http://my.vidahost.com/aff.php?aff=870

Running OC 1.5.5.1 with vqmods.
http://www.aislings.co.uk
http://www.lovers-paradise-toys.co.uk

Post by labeshops » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:46 am

I recommend Evolve (see link in my signature) as Doug is very active on the forums and knows opencart which is a HUGE bonus, especially since you know very little. He can help you transfer everything to your new account with him.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by NatVanish » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:01 pm

tankueray wrote:This:
At my firm we use Arvixe. Really nice, although I heard that the transition was somewhat painful in the begining.

Digital Design

Location - St Petersburg