I am getting 404 Not Found errors on any page where I have put text in the "SEO Keyword:" box once I turn on the "Use SEO URL's:". I have been searching the forums for a solution but I am getting more confused the more I read.
So far I have done/checked the following:
I have the file named .htaccess not htaccess.txt
I have added (and then removed) bits of code I've found in other posts but I can't go too far with changes because I'm worried about messing everything up. I made a copy of the .htaccess file before I started.
I am using Apache on a Wamp and the rewrite_module is enabled
I am using one language & currency only
I have read the Trouble shooting entry about this problem and think my site is not in a subdomain - as I am using a Wamp my site is http://localhost/
UPDATE 27.11.I0 - I have since moved my site to the host server in a sub domain and done as Xsecrets said above
and it works fine now.if your store is in a folder like shop or store you will need to edit the line RewriteBase / to be RewriteBase /shop/