Post by myeric » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 am

Hi,
My question is concerning the "create new store" functionality.
I saw that we have the possibility to create several stores with individual parameters,
But I don't understand how it works and how we have to use it for creating several stores.
Is it several stores in one global store or it is something else ?
Does it use the same database,... ?
Thanks for your help and kind regards.
Eric

Post by Qphoria » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 am

multiple urls, one admin

mysite.com/shop
mydomain.com/store
nutsbolts.net/eshop

all can be redirected to point to the same main url (mysite.com)
Then you can have multiple shops using 1 single codebase

Administrator

Post by ScottBohler » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:00 am

I don't quite understand either. I tried this feature, but no new store seems to be created.

I created a new store "demo1", set a bunch of parameters and clicked [Save]. Specified store URL as http://www.mydomain.com/shops/demo1/ (which did not previously exist)

Go to storefront = error. Store does not exist.

Created a "demo1" folder on my server and repeated above. Same results: error.

Is this strictly a *management* feature for managing multiple, individually installed, stores from a single management app/page?

- Scott

Post by Qphoria » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 am

Based on further explanation from those who have tried, I think my assumption above was wrong. I think you need to have multiple code bases and multiple sites. Just a common database to allow a single admin

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:28 am

its fgor differnt domains not differnt folders!

when have you ever seen a multishop run from differnt folders?

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by muflon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:52 am

Daniel wrote:when have you ever seen a multishop run from differnt folders?
It is used by some shops and I think it is usefull if you carry similiar stuff. You can see it on caliroots thay have 3 shops with clothes but different style.

http://caliroots.com/cali/
http://caliroots.com/c-store/

Post by screenager8 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:28 am

This is what i do, i do not it's wrong or not.

http://bit.ly/opencart_multistore

Bukatoko.com | Cara mudah & cepat punya toko online!

Location - Jakarta, Indonesia

Post by Qphoria » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 am

Well since a subdomain is really just a subfolder in most cases I guess its just semantics.. maybe not in the way redirection works which may be the key

but
http://forum.opencart.com
loads the same as
http://www.opencart.com/forum/

Administrator

Post by wackamole » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:01 pm

My theory: OpenCart detects on domain or subdomains, so if you have a store already at www.example.com, you can create a new one by using handbags.example.com, and redirect that subdomain towards the root of your OpenCart installation, in this case www.example.com.

Post by iserveteam » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi guyz, do i need to install opencart in my subdomain as well? for example www.mydomain.com/store1
it was totaly empty when i open the url, but i have successfully create a store online in the main domain.
Did i miss something?

Post by Ljubo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi iserveteam,
the same with me!

can anybody help?

to explain a bit more...
since two days ago I am testing a store with OpenCart which was a great discovery for me.
now, for example, I have regular address at:
www.test.com
I put up a store on address:
shop.test.com - this store would be for retail purposes
and, I want to make:
b2b.test.com - this store would be for a kind of portal for other business.

First two, lets say domains, are working perfectly (www.test.com and shop.test.com)
I did created a new store under the admin page of opencart but going on the address of b2b.test.com just gives me an Index of page.

Also, can I have different prices on those two stores, or some other different settings like payment or shippment?
Or I should definitely need install new opencart store independantly?

Location - Serbia

Post by Kengun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:12 am

As I can understand you have to upload all the files also to the b2b.test.com else the site will ofcourse not work. I'm not sure about the "settings" file though, but I asume you have to upload that too so the site knows where to find the database.

Location - Norway

Post by Ljubo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 am

thank you for your reply.

no, you do not have to upload all the files...

In the meantime, I managed for b2b.test.com to become live, but only duplicating the stuff from shop.test.com.

It seems it is not working for me how it should...

Location - Serbia

Post by Kengun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:01 am

Yep, thats what I ment; that you had to duplicate the stuff from shop.test.com to b2b.test.com :)
Good that you got it to work. I will give it a try too.

Location - Norway

Post by Ljubo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

I did not duplicate the stuff, it just got redirected from the second to the first store.
Sorry for not being clear.

I still do not have access to the second shop content via front end.
Entry address (home page) is showing but only the content of the first shop.

I would need help in proper setup desparately.

Location - Serbia

Post by Kengun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm sure you have a double set of files for the 2 stores. Ofcourse the new site will be blank if there are no files there to run. So try copy the files from the first site to the second site and see how it goes.

Location - Norway

Post by Ljubo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:29 pm

If I duplicate the files physicaly, then I would have two independent opencarts and everything will work just like that.

I am trying to put in work the multistore feature of the OC itself.

It seems like at the end, the easiest way for me would be to just install another OC on second store, and to administrate it independently...

Location - Serbia

Post by Kengun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm

No, you will not have two stores that are the same; only the files to run the sites are the same. If you use the multistore you will get to different stores (with different banners, products, etc.), but they somehow use the same database to store the different data.

Location - Norway

Post by craig100 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:39 am

This is really unclear.

I have a store installed in a directory structure at htdocs/ it is the main site, and uses a database called DB1. It sells tours. I want to install another store linked to the first that sells merchandise for the tours (hats, mugs, etc.). It will be linked to from the first store in it's menu and will be called "shop". So, do I create a directory htdocs/store2 and a database called DB2 then install a fresh copy of OpenCart in htdocs/store2? If so, what's the point of the "Create New Store" in the admin? I'd have two independent stores with independent admins and databases.

What scenario is the "Create New Store" functionality there to address? Answers in clear English if possible to avoid confusion, (No offence!).

Many thanks.

Craig

Post by mystifier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:08 am

'Create New Store' creates a new store within the Admin.

Content such as categories, products, manufacturers, information pages etc., can be set to show in whichever stores you like; stores can also have their own front page text, theme (template) etc. This is all managed from one Admin.

The installation will only contain one set of Opencart files (which may include multiple themes) and only one database (which includes tables like `product_to_store` to determine which products shouls show in which store(s)).

Different stores are addressed as sub-domains; all sub-domains are set to point to the same root folder of your Opencart installation.

yourstore.com could have two very different looking shops, tours.yourstore.com and merchandise.yourstore.com with a mixture of shared and unique content all under a single Opencart administation.

Free v1.4.9 Extensions: Default Specials | Improved Search | Customer Activity Report | Customer Groups | Royal Mail With Handling | Improved Product Page | Random Products | Stock Report | All Products