Post by barnone » Fri May 30, 2014 2:06 pm

Hey guys,

I use the bulk import/export tool on 1.5.5.1 OC. Just trying to figure out the best way to add the pictures in. I have pictures saved as the part numbers. With excel I can see: data/ (preceding each image already hosted on my domain), followed by .jpg.

I am trying to figure out a way to combine three columns. I'll make one data/, one product number, and one .jpg. I'll copy those around and end up with data/product number.jpg for the entire list.

Would this be easier if I hosted them someone else, or more difficult? I am worrying about domain/store speed with 5-10k pictures.

I am thinking about doing it one of two ways:
FTP all my pictures to OC picture server
Hosting somewhere else and then linking in bulk import tool

Post by TAC » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:25 am

I've not understood what you mean by "a way to combine three columns"?

If you have an image called 12345.jpg, then in the Export/import tool spreadsheet in the image column you put data/12345.jpg

You upload 12345.jpg to your image/data folder using ftp and when you import the spreadsheet the image appears in the product.

I organise my images in folders within the image/data folder so my images look more like this:

data/supplier/style/12345.png

TAC

Location - England

Post by barnone » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:42 am

Basically, I am working with hundreds or thousands of part numbers. I plan to make image name the product part number. I planned to run down the part/model number list and copy and paste into image location. I would need to affix data/, and .jpg to this. I anticipated that combining three columns would be the fastest. I am trying to avoid having to manually add data/ and .jpg to each model number that I place in image category.

Post by TAC » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:26 am

I think I get you now.

You want to make a column that holds data/ another that holds the part number and a third that says .jpg. Then you can autofill the data/ & .jpg columns. Which means you only have to edit the middle column, i.e. the part number.

Then you want to turn the 3 columns back into just 1 column that has data/part-number.jpg all together again?

TAC

Location - England

Post by barnone » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:35 am

That sounds like what I am describing.

I should only need the seperate data/, and .jpg columns until I get them added to the part number.

The final listings under image column will all be:
data/paartnumber1.jpg
data/partnumber2.jpg
data/partnumber3.jpg
etc.

Then when it is uploaded it will correctly pull image files from my server.

Anyone know a better way to do what I am talking about?

Post by TAC » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:14 pm

Sounds quite tricky to me.

However in Excel you can fill a series of numbers. So in theory you can set the first image as data/1.jpg and then fill the series and it should generate data/2.jpg, data/3.jpg and so on in the following rows.

I guess this could only work if you are willing to start your numbering system from scratch though.

TAC

Location - England

Post by CristoB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:36 pm

It is possible to add several images to one product using Store Manager for OpenCart application.
Image column of your .csv file should contain image names, detached by separator.
Read the detailed article here: http://www.opencartmanager.com/useful-a ... s-in-bulk/

Post by barnone » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:13 am

TAC wrote:Sounds quite tricky to me.

However in Excel you can fill a series of numbers. So in theory you can set the first image as data/1.jpg and then fill the series and it should generate data/2.jpg, data/3.jpg and so on in the following rows.

I guess this could only work if you are willing to start your numbering system from scratch though.
Interesting. I am curious as to if I could say start at product 131 (already filled with pictures for products up to that).

After that point parse in the products. In the model number column start at 1 and use fill series command. Use the same command for the image link.

This may actually work better because I am finding that manufacturers are making my life super difficult. They are using product number and then in some cases, v1029s2014 or something crazy like that. In essence their picture files have model number as title, but they also include other text which defeats the whole purpose of what I am doing.

I just realized that your numbering system means that I have to rename all the pictures, which really sucks...

Post by barnone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 am

bump

Post by rudders18 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:08 pm

If I understand you correctly you already have a column in Excel that holds the part number and you want to create a column that contains the complete image file path ready for importing into OC.

If this is the case you just need to create a simple formula in a new column like this, this assumes the part numbers are in column A.

="data/"&A1&".jpg"

This assumes the first part number is in cell A1 in Excel, dragging down the cell you enter this formula into will increment the cell reference A1 and create the valid image paths for all of your images.

Let me know how you get on or if this is not what you meant.

Post by barnone » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:59 pm

So just to help everyone that may need it in the future I figured out some Excel tricks.

When I had a a csv product sheet. Say I am needing product number, manufacturer and the title.

I open up a seperate excel sheet and copy and paste the data (columns) in the order I want it to final product, such as
Manufacturer, Title of Product, Product Number.

I then go into a 4th column and enter = first cell num & second cell num & 3rd cell number. It combines it to be :Man # Title and Product #. Then I just copy it down and the formula automatically changes as I go down.

Now the last trick, say for example you have an entire column that needs to say the same thing. You can drag it all the way from first cell to final cell, but if you have 3000 plus rows it gets kind of tedious. So what I do is click cell, then go into the space left of formula bar and enter starting cell: end cell (where I want the final data to go). Then hit enter it selects the range then press cntrl and d at the same time. It pastes the data through an entire range that you selected.