Post by itsonlychand » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:34 am

Hi

It is my first post and I would like to know if someone could help with replacing spaces in categories urls with hyphens ?

for Category "1GB USB Drive" Normally category urls will be like this domain/1GB%20USB%20Drives

Any tips how it can be made domain/1GB-USB-Drives

Thanks in advance.

Post by rph » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:40 am

You should really set it properly in the SEO Keyword itself.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by itsonlychand » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:45 am

Thanks Ryan but I guess you did not read my question properly

Let me explain again - I want to add category "1GB USB Drives" and I get this url domain.com/1GB%20USB%20Drives

What changes we need to make to replace spaces/%20 with - so it is like domain.com/1GB-USB-Drives

Post by shoo002 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:47 am

I had this problem, i used JNeuhoff's import export module.Then once exported to excel i used the search and replace function to search for space and replace with hyphen.

Hope this works.

Regards
Stewart

Post by rph » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 am

I understood. I don't think you followed what I said. SEO URLs are not automatically created. The spaces are there because you put them there. You should go back to the product page and under SEO Keyword change "1GB USB Drives" to "1-GB-USB-Drives". If you have a lot of entries this can be quickly done with an SQL query:

update url_alias set keyword = replace(keyword,' ','-');

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by itsonlychand » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 am

Thanks RPH, Stewart and shoo002

Actually I am very new to Opencart - Since last few weeks I am unable to decide which shopping cart to use - installed magento, prestashop, opencart on one domain 10s of times and deleted. Finally I have read some great reviews about Opencart and I have decided to got for it.

I can see all of you are very helping here and suppose it will be great if i get stuck somewhere ;)

Thanks again

Post by nathan_ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 pm

rph wrote:I understood. I don't think you followed what I said. SEO URLs are not automatically created. The spaces are there because you put them there. You should go back to the product page and under SEO Keyword change "1GB USB Drives" to "1-GB-USB-Drives". If you have a lot of entries this can be quickly done with an SQL query:

update url_alias set keyword = replace(keyword,' ','-');
The SQL query is not working for me..

Code: Select all

SQL query:

UPDATE url_alias SET keyword = REPLACE( keyword,  ' ',  '-' )

MySQL said: 

#1146 - Table 'opencartskate.url_alias' doesn't exist    

EDIT-- I got it to work, but when I went to the actual website, the new URLS worked but it was not able to pull up the file. . .

TEST SITE http://www.jamskates.info