Post by wardntx » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 am

I started a new thread because the only other one I could find was a few years old and this is 1.5.6
I have OpenCart 1.5.6 and when on the shopping cart page it always puts Texas sales tax. If you select estimate shipping and taxes and selct another state beside Texas, then it will remove it. But I am getting complaints about this and may be losing sales as well. Is there a way to stop this or just remove the sales tax untill the final order is ready for review?
I tried going to settings and changing it to payment address then back to shipping. I even tried none. I have considered changing the state my store is in to someone out of the US. I hope someone can chime in with this.
It may be that when I click on the estimate shipping and taxes it is because Texas is already in there. I am hoping a new user would not have that already selected. But it may be the default since the store is located in Texas. Perhaps someone can add something to their cart and then check the shopping cart to see if it is defaulting to Texas and post a reply here, or you can email me at wardntx@gmail.com
The website is http://www.thevideocopilot.com

Thank you.
Ward

wardntx

Post by billynoah » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:40 pm

yup shows up as TX sales tax, then goes away when i move through the checkout process.

Post by billynoah » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:24 am

EDIT: See Johnathan's answer below instead, that's the way it should be done.

After some investigating looks as though Opencart does indeed set the tax zone to the store's if none is set in the session. Check system/library/tax.php in line 16 (depending on your version) where it reads:

Code: Select all

$this->setShippingAddress($this->config->get('config_country_id'), $this->config->get('config_zone_id'));
Without more checking it's tough to say if there would be any errors generated but you can probably just comment this out.[/color]
Last edited by billynoah on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Or, just remove the "Display Prices With Tax" setting in System > Settings > Options, and it shouldn't display any tax in prices until the checkout confirm stage.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by billynoah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:28 am

Ah yes - didn't even know about that option, but I think you mean set "Use Store Tax Address:" to "None"? This is a better approach, i'm editing my answer above. On a side note, could you make your taxcloud extension work with that setting as well?

Post by Johnathan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:55 pm

I'll look into -- currently the extension uses its own system for determining the address it should use, but since the tax classes already have their own setting, it shouldn't be hard to use its setting instead.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator