Post by apeitup » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 am

Is there any reason (ie will it mess up the website) if I convert a couple of the table fields to text from Varchar such as category-description:name. I am having some issues with an Access data base which ties into the site. So far I have managed to get it to connect, update and new products and customers and integrate with an additional database on the local server which contains additional information. I just can't seem to change the data type to rich text format when it hits M$ Access.

Any help would be appreciated including any work arounds. I am completely new to Access and have been thrown somewhat in at the deep end. I am just about managing to keep afloat but the odd wave is definitely washing over my ears.

Post by Miguelito » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Why are you using MS Access db? Why not MySQL?

The Finnish OpenCart Forum
"Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."

Post by apeitup » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

I am using mysql, it is dynamically linked into the Access database. I have the websites database joined with the local servers database. The issue is for MS Access to read VARCHAR fields as Rich Text Format which it is not. I have done a bit of web searching and only found that TEXT/BLOB fields can take longer to query. But I do not know that much about it so thought it may be a good question for the like of Qphoria or Daniel.

Post by apeitup » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:47 am

So I take it no one knows.

Ok lets see if I can break the web site.

Post by Miguelito » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:31 am

I think you should check this from Daniel or Qphoria...

The Finnish OpenCart Forum
"Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."