Post by lpotts » Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi all,

The last 24+ hours now we have had no website (www.designer-man.co.uk), it's simply gone. Can't access it what so ever, yesterday morning it was timing out but I did manage to get to the admin area before it then timed out again. Now nothing, my hosts haven't got a clue what's wrong. I don't recall installing anything prior to this happening... Has anyone come across such issues with Opencart? Still not up and running so we've missed out on potentially quite a few sales and customers/visitors...

Can't access cPanel, admin area, anything.. So I seem to think that I am worthless in assisting my hosts, but they don't seem to care very much about the site itself as they take ages to reply, don't answer the phone, and the last mail I received (over 12 hours ago) stated that one of them had installed a backup for the site but the problem still persists... With no other indications to anything, such as the problem...

We need some technical help asap!

Thanks for any replies,

Regards,

Luke

Post by Xyph3r » Thu May 09, 2013 6:30 pm

It's not a problem with OpenCart..it's a problem with your host...the server it's down..

You can't access anything....FTP..cPanel..so it's quite obvious where is the problem.

So..try to contact them..

ImageImageImage
Opencart Templates, Modules, Themes & Custom Development | ShopThemer

Post by lpotts » Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 pm

They've told me numerous times over the last 24 hours that it's something to do with the website, and most likely something to do with a module we've installed... But we hadn't installed anything on the site near the time it went down... Do you think they've had a major server problem and are just trying to cloud it over?

They have just told me they're putting our site on a new server that's quicker, and also that they're installing a completely fresh opencart install for the website... I asked what we would lose and they said nothing as they will be doing it all?! Something smells a little fishy I must say...

How would I go about migrating to a different host upon me actually being able to access my website to claim a complete backup?!

Post by Xyph3r » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm

you must talk with them to provide you with a back-up..and tell them that you know the problem is withe the server not with Opencart installation

L.E. : the servers are down http://ns1.aplushosts.com

ImageImageImage

Post by Johnathan » Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 pm

For future reference, Xyph3r is right -- if you can't access cPanel and FTP, it's definitely not your software but the server. If I had a host that lied and said a server outage was my site, I would be moving hosts as quickly as possible. Try and get a currency backup from them once the site is up, and get out of there.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by butte » Thu May 09, 2013 11:35 pm

UPSHOT.-- Afterward, check your two config.php files for conformity to the new database path or name or both (you should be able, again, to see database details in your control panel).

You're probably in good shape, just give them a day or few more. Servers do go down and require maintenance from time to time, owing to hardware, attack, or "upgrades" that fizzled, and whatever is going on they've at least mumbled some blame and then taken up the cudgeals themselves. (Some hosts are intransigent. One chap in UK with OC on UK servers was left stranded by a do it yourself, but it was fixable and I fixed it. Another person in UK with OC on USA servers is still completely out of luck at the moment and none of us can get into it for him.)

Your servers (web, mail, domain name) are in Kent, where http://www.racksrv.com's banner says, "fresh new design," and status.racksrv.com is reporting as of this May 04, "Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this brief disruption during the reboot may cause." On April 20 they decided to undo an "upgrade" that fizzled. All too often hosts "migrate" accounts without telling so in advance, leaving minor to major problems in their wakes, but this time they're moving your OC, they're handling all of the move, and they're in a position to ensure that the database is moved along with it.

I would consider moving for several reasons, those already posted above, plus rates that I would not consider helpfully competitive. For an alternative, see PM.

Guru Member

Post by lpotts » Sat May 11, 2013 12:29 am

Well...
the website came back for like 2 hours this morning, and suddenly it's now not working again. I am told that this must be some kind of database error thats causing it, could this be right?
Regards,

Post by Xyph3r » Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 am

I don;t believe it's a database error since you can't access even your cPanel..

ImageImageImage

Post by lpotts » Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 am

I don't know what's going on with them but i've asked 6 times for a backup of the website & database so that I can migrate, and finally, after a few more abusive mails they send 1 back... "we are downloading the database backup for you to migrate it as per your request"

Snotty is an understatement, give good customer service and you'll get a good reputation, surely it's that simple?!

So... Time to move, Anyone heard anything about Vida Host?

Post by butte » Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Now is a good time, while your website is visibly there even if off-and-on, to go in via ftp (using FileZilla Client) to bring down both (a) the database backup they'll presumably have put there for you (unless they sent it via e-mail or some other means), and (b) the entire directory tree. Then you'll have rescued your database and files for the sake of moving forward, to another host. If you can get in via ftp, you're probably okay. You might keep an eye on status.racksrv.com, too.

Guru Member