Post by iansane » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:05 am

furiousweebee wrote:
furiousweebee wrote:My view is that OpenCart should be updated as follows:
  • The next release: Fix all minor bugs from v1.4.0 as soon as possible.
  • Then, fix all major bugs (i.e. those affecting most users or those with the most potential for security risks etc).
  • Then, fix any resulting/outstanding minor bugs.
  • Release v2.0 as a major upgrade, implementing as many new features as possible (providing most users will benefit from them). If this takes six months, so be it - the version prior to this should be relatively bug-free and working nicely by this point.
Basically, I think the current version includes almost everything a standard store operator would need, so the most important thing is to ensure that's fully working before undertaking any new works. I'd rather wait several months for a thoroughly tested major upgrade than have to tweak every OpenCart installation every few weeks to fix bugs or upgrade extensions.
Just re-iterating my opinion that the next release needs to happen as soon as possible before looking at any new features. There are already various minor bugs that need to be fixed. Many people, such as myself, rarely upgrade to a major release without first waiting for the inevitable minor patches that follow, so you're potentially losing OpenCart "customers" every passing day.
I personally think that bug fixes should be separated from regular releases. Daniel has enough people here finding bugs and ways to fix them that he could spend his time working on new releases while the community works on fixing bugs in the previously released version. I suspect most of the impatient people awaiting 1.4.1 are not awaiting new promised features, but bug fixes from 1.4.0.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Post by dannowatts » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 am

joomx wrote:Alpha, Beta, RC, Stable, for testing???
any progress is good progress... who cares what level it's being released. just wait 'till it's out ;)

rocksteady,
danno~

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 am

Post by OSWorX » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:57 am

dannowatts wrote:
joomx wrote:Alpha, Beta, RC, Stable, for testing???
any progress is good progress... who cares what level it's being released. just wait 'till it's out ;)

rocksteady,
danno~
Not really!
If the release is published as 'Stable' we here in this forum have to deal with the questions if there are major bugs in it (as they are in 1.4.0).

So, this makes a big difference.

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by Qphoria » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 am

joomx wrote:Not really!
If the release is published as 'Stable' we here in this forum have to deal with the questions if there are major bugs in it (as they are in 1.4.0).

So, this makes a big difference.
Agreed. Then we just get 50 posts of "when can we expect 1.4.2? 1.4.1 is too buggy"

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by dannowatts » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:11 am

joomx wrote:
dannowatts wrote:
joomx wrote:Alpha, Beta, RC, Stable, for testing???
any progress is good progress... who cares what level it's being released. just wait 'till it's out ;)

rocksteady,
danno~
Not really!
If the release is published as 'Stable' we here in this forum have to deal with the questions if there are major bugs in it (as they are in 1.4.0).

So, this makes a big difference.
i meant you shouldn't worry about the status yet. wait for it to be released before expecting daniel to tell you the status. when it's launched and released, available for download, then we'll know what status it's at.

rocksteady,
danno~

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 am

Post by Daniel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 am

ypour going to have to wait another day. my internet has gone really slow today. i have not bee able to do any proper testing. my ftp is just disconnecting all the time.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Post by gocreative » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Daniel wrote:ypour going to have to wait another day. my internet has gone really slow today. i have not bee able to do any proper testing. my ftp is just disconnecting all the time.
That's not good enough Daniel!

Just kidding. Will there be a changelog or list of bug fixes with this release?

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by mOrAtHa » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 am

furiousweebee wrote:
Daniel wrote:ypour going to have to wait another day. my internet has gone really slow today. i have not bee able to do any proper testing. my ftp is just disconnecting all the time.
That's not good enough Daniel!

Just kidding. Will there be a changelog or list of bug fixes with this release?

Do you see a changelog for the past versions/revisions in the wiki? I believe not... so we will most likely (highly unlikely) not see one for v1.4.1~

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:36 am

Post by Qphoria » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:24 am

It depends one whether he obliges our beta tester proposal.

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by OpenCart.us » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:29 am

mOrAtHa wrote:
furiousweebee wrote:
Daniel wrote:ypour going to have to wait another day. my internet has gone really slow today. i have not bee able to do any proper testing. my ftp is just disconnecting all the time.
That's not good enough Daniel!

Just kidding. Will there be a changelog or list of bug fixes with this release?
Do you see a changelog for the past versions/revisions in the wiki? I believe not... so we will most likely (highly unlikely) not see one for v1.4.1~
This is why OC needs a Release Manager as previously discussed in this thread:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 240#p46759

@mOrAtHa and furiousweebee:

Can the two of you work on a changelog or list of bug fixes to help Daniel out?

Image
Quality OpenCart Extensions:
Exclude My Visits From Google Analytics
Hide Admin Dashboard Overview, Statistics & Latest Orders
Advanced Customer Reviews with Email, URL & Auto-Enable
Contact Us Page with Store Hours, Google Maps & Additional Text


User avatar
Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:21 am
Location - New York, NY USA

Post by gocreative » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:46 am

OpenCart.us wrote:@mOrAtHa and furiousweebee:

Can the two of you work on a changelog or list of bug fixes to help Daniel out?
Possibly, though I have no experience in that. I think if Daniel is the person making the changes, then as long as he can roughly list them, I'm happy to help expand on them and formalise.

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by i2Paq » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:32 pm

OpenCart.us wrote:This is why OC needs a Release Manager as previously discussed in this thread:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 240#p46759

@mOrAtHa and furiousweebee:

Can the two of you work on a changelog or list of bug fixes to help Daniel out?

The first step, as Q already pointed out, is a pre-release of beta-release route so that we can iron out any (if any) bugs or other issues before a public release.
Maybe one of the group that is up for beeing beta-tester could create the change list or changes etc.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by dbstr » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Where do you sign up for beta test then?

Request Reviews v1.0 released.


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:20 am

Post by i2Paq » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 pm

dbstr wrote:Where do you sign up for beta test then?
You cannot.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by peteVA » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 pm

i2Paq wrote:
dbstr wrote:Where do you sign up for beta test then?
You cannot.
That was a short answer. Could you go one step further and explain why?

Is that dbstr is not qualified, that you do not like his posts and don't want him involved?

Or is it simply a policy to invite testers?

I personally have no desire to be one, so i"m not asking for myself. But I'm sure dbstr and probably others are wondering whether

1) only he cannot

2) others may but some others cannot

3) you have to be invited

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:25 am

Post by i2Paq » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:40 pm

peteVA wrote:
i2Paq wrote:
dbstr wrote:Where do you sign up for beta test then?
You cannot.
That was a short answer. Could you go one step further and explain why?

Is that dbstr is not qualified, that you do not like his posts and don't want him involved?

Or is it simply a policy to invite testers?

I personally have no desire to be one, so i"m not asking for myself. But I'm sure dbstr and probably others are wondering whether

1) only he cannot

2) others may but some others cannot

3) you have to be invited
We are waiting on the answer of and actions by Daniel on this beta-test route.

I personly think that tester should be invited, but atm. we are not sure what would be the best way.
Also the list with beta testers should be short and they should have the right skills ;)

So to answer your 1-2-3

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Daniel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 pm

whats going to happen i that I will upload the new version to my google code hosting and post a link on the internal forum. hopefully I should get some feedback.

then i will put the link on the download page.

the only thing i'm worried about is how non english characters are going to look and work sin ce i have changed the encoding of the database.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Post by dbstr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:49 am

It's all cool.. ;-)

Request Reviews v1.0 released.


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:20 am

Post by leprimo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:51 am

Daniel wrote: i have changed the encoding of the database.
??? In what direction...?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:24 am

Daniel wrote:whats going to happen i that I will upload the new version to my google code hosting and post a link on the internal forum. hopefully I should get some feedback.

then i will put the link on the download page.

the only thing i'm worried about is how non english characters are going to look and work sin ce i have changed the encoding of the database.
when you say the internal forum what forum do you mean.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am
Location - FL US
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests