Post by migz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Daniel wrote:the multishop mod is not that bigger change. its just new setting page and checbox in the product, category page to select which stuff goes on which site. it is not a multi vendor mod.
Nice. Thank you Daniel! :)

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:13 am

Post by iansane » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am

Daniel wrote:the multishop mod is not that bigger change. its just new setting page and checbox in the product, category page to select which stuff goes on which site. it is not a multi vendor mod.
So the database will in fact change... This shouldn't affect restoring data from older versions, right?

I agree that it may be best to work the bugs out before introducing new features and possibly new bugs. I am curious to see how the multishop stuff works.

Is there a reason that Fido-x's homepage mod is not included in the core version?

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Post by well » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 pm

where is my previus post? ???

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Post by i2Paq » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:04 pm

well wrote:where is my previus post? ???
By mistake it got deleted, sorry for that.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by ThePath » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Daniel wrote:the multishop mod is not that bigger change. its just new setting page and checbox in the product, category page to select which stuff goes on which site. it is not a multi vendor mod.
Sorry for being dumb but can someone explain exactly what MultiShop will achieve? Will users be able to fill out a form and on submission it creates their own store on a subdomain? Or does it just mean they have a specific user brand that allows them to access their own menu functions in the admin? ???

Image

OpenCart Theme Options - See All My Extensions - OpenCart Themes and Mods


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 pm
Location - Scotland

Post by i2Paq » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm

ThePath wrote:
Daniel wrote:the multishop mod is not that bigger change. its just new setting page and checbox in the product, category page to select which stuff goes on which site. it is not a multi vendor mod.
Sorry for being dumb but can someone explain exactly what MultiShop will achieve? Will users be able to fill out a form and on submission it creates their own store on a subdomain? Or does it just mean they have a specific user brand that allows them to access their own menu functions in the admin? ???
You, as a shop owner, will be able to have 2 or more shops with just one database.
In the BO you can set which product is shown in which shop.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by peteVA » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Reading through here it seems Multi-Shop means many different things to many people. Some are expecting a Mall sort of deal. Others making stores for others. And, these are available in some form or another with other carts.

Someone mentioned Interspire, which does have a Mall setup - for $1500 or so. Other paid for carts offer such things as allowing others to add their goods to your cart, and you paying them an agreed amount when sold, sort of like a consignment shop. Others allow you to set up shops for others to sell their own goods. BUT - and this can get scary - all sales are processed through your payment processors. So, you are the seller and you get the chargebacks.

As far as one cart that you can have multiple shops for others, with different databases, each with their own payment processor, well you have that now - it's called OpenCart and you set up each as a separate site.

Keep that one thing in mind when thinking of how cool it would be to share with others - you are the one who will get the chargebacks and the disputes for what others sold (and maybe didn't deliver?).

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:25 am

Post by babilon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:12 pm

The OpenCart Directory is a great work.
A simple and fast sistem to access resources.

It would be nice if the OpenCart forum was so ordered.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Post by Qphoria » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 pm

peteVA wrote: As far as one cart that you can have multiple shops for others, with different databases, each with their own payment processor, well you have that now - it's called OpenCart and you set up each as a separate site.
I think what people want when they say "MultiShop" or "Multivendor" is an Amazon.com type site. Where they can have multiple people add products to their common "Marketplace". Then when items are purchased, the main store owner gets a cut per product or based on some monthly lease fee. That is what people have asked me for quite often.

But that entails a bit more into the payment realm and would have to be integrated throughout.
The User Group area would have to be completely revamped to allow access on a per product basis, or the model files would have to accept a "vendor_id" parameter and filter that way.

This would be a major change.

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by peteVA » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Qphoria wrote: I think what people want when they say "MultiShop" or "Multivendor" is an Amazon.com type site. Where they can have multiple people add products to their common "Marketplace". Then when items are purchased, the main store owner gets a cut per product or based on some monthly lease fee. That is what people really want.
There are at least 2 $300 carts that offer this. I resell both to some of my hosting clients, but they still have the single main cart owner processing all the payments, which leaves him/her open for claims. This is still scary, particularly if you don't have an approval system in place and others can just set up an account and start selling.

These features sound nice at first glance, but the liability is all the cart owner's, and without some system of hold-back or some way to cover claims against sales by others, they can be left swinging in the breeze. It can even get you understanding why Amazon holds payments and PayPal and card processors have hold-backs.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:25 am

Post by migz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks Q, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Also, I think filtering the orders and sales summary depending on the shop (manufacturer) would be a good addition. :)

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:13 am

Post by guts_glory » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:32 am

There are at least 2 $300 carts that offer this. I resell both to some of my hosting clients, but they still have the single main cart owner processing all the payments, which leaves him/her open for claims. This is still scary, particularly if you don't have an approval system in place and others can just set up an account and start selling.
The two carts that does the multi-vendor features include X-Cart and Magento?

Also with regards to the payment and charge back issue, having the store owner take the payment may not be as bad. As the store administrator takes the payment for all vendors, even if there might be charge backs on a few orders, the store would still have the payments from the customers on behalf of the vendors. As long as he doesn't do instantenous transfer, he always have the Accounts Payable to the vendor. Therefore, he wouldn't need to worry too much about the charge backs.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Post by gocreative » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 pm

furiousweebee wrote:My view is that OpenCart should be updated as follows:
  • The next release: Fix all minor bugs from v1.4.0 as soon as possible.
  • Then, fix all major bugs (i.e. those affecting most users or those with the most potential for security risks etc).
  • Then, fix any resulting/outstanding minor bugs.
  • Release v2.0 as a major upgrade, implementing as many new features as possible (providing most users will benefit from them). If this takes six months, so be it - the version prior to this should be relatively bug-free and working nicely by this point.
Basically, I think the current version includes almost everything a standard store operator would need, so the most important thing is to ensure that's fully working before undertaking any new works. I'd rather wait several months for a thoroughly tested major upgrade than have to tweak every OpenCart installation every few weeks to fix bugs or upgrade extensions.
Just re-iterating my opinion that the next release needs to happen as soon as possible before looking at any new features. There are already various minor bugs that need to be fixed. Many people, such as myself, rarely upgrade to a major release without first waiting for the inevitable minor patches that follow, so you're potentially losing OpenCart "customers" every passing day.

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by babilon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

... very mutch agree with you

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Post by pstreet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:47 pm

furiousweebee wrote:Just re-iterating my opinion that the next release needs to happen as soon as possible before looking at any new features. There are already various minor bugs that need to be fixed. Many people, such as myself, rarely upgrade to a major release without first waiting for the inevitable minor patches that follow, so you're potentially losing OpenCart "customers" every passing day.
OpenCart's free! I think some people should be a little more gracious when it comes to quality software being produced without cost. Whether you upgrade or not is entirely up to you, but you have to keep in mind that there is not one cent required to be spent from your pocket to fund this endeavour.

The fact that OpenCart is open source and under the GPL v3 license means you're completely free to fork the project if you're not happy with the progress.

If there are issues you're not happy with, fix them (or pay someone who can) to speed up the development time, a lot of developers volunteer their time on this project (and especially Daniel - from what I've seen this is mostly his baby). Cut the man a break, or cut him a cheque, the choice is yours ;)

Currently unavailable for freelance work and consulting.


User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:00 pm
Location - New South Wales, Australia

Post by gocreative » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:05 pm

I've volunteered my time, and I've also pledged to make a donation of $100 to Daniel as soon as I make a cent from the software. I've only used OpenCart for one installation so far, so I think I'm about as gracious as anyone in my position can get.

I value Daniel's work (and the work of all contributors) greatly. However, it's not exactly best practice to release a product then take several weeks to fix minor bugs, especially as fixes for many of these bugs have been offered by project contributors. It's not ungrateful to make suggestions or offer comment; in fact I personally don't care how long it takes to release fixes as I'm not even using the latest version yet. For the good of the project, I merely suggested a release process that could be followed.

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by Daniel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:32 pm

i'm going to try to get the next version out tonight.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Post by OSWorX » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Alpha, Beta, RC, Stable, for testing???

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member
Online

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by i2Paq » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:04 pm

Daniel wrote:i'm going to try to get the next version out tonight.
joomx wrote:Alpha, Beta, RC, Stable, for testing???
Should be a Beta, thats what we agreed on.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Killerj » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 am

furiousweebee wrote:
furiousweebee wrote:My view is that OpenCart should be updated as follows:
  • The next release: Fix all minor bugs from v1.4.0 as soon as possible.
  • Then, fix all major bugs (i.e. those affecting most users or those with the most potential for security risks etc).
  • Then, fix any resulting/outstanding minor bugs.
  • Release v2.0 as a major upgrade, implementing as many new features as possible (providing most users will benefit from them). If this takes six months, so be it - the version prior to this should be relatively bug-free and working nicely by this point.
Basically, I think the current version includes almost everything a standard store operator would need, so the most important thing is to ensure that's fully working before undertaking any new works. I'd rather wait several months for a thoroughly tested major upgrade than have to tweak every OpenCart installation every few weeks to fix bugs or upgrade extensions.
Just re-iterating my opinion that the next release needs to happen as soon as possible before looking at any new features. There are already various minor bugs that need to be fixed. Many people, such as myself, rarely upgrade to a major release without first waiting for the inevitable minor patches that follow, so you're potentially losing OpenCart "customers" every passing day.
^ Yes !

But, If we can get a stable Multishop, that would be fine too :)

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:04 am
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests