Post by MarketInSG » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

labeshops wrote::( Looks like it's time for me to figure out how to install opencart on my local machine if I ever want to update it without taking down my live stores. I skipped 1.5.4 (still run on 1.5.2) because I was afraid of destroying things before the holidays thinking the next update would be more seamless. Seems like just the opposite with 1.5.5. Cannot see a reason to update it at the moment, though I will hunt up that thread on installing oc on local and see if I can figure it all out.

Question - if I do this and get everything "perfect" on my local machine, how hard is it to then update my live stores? Do I just need to upload my local machine files (except config files of course), and run any upgrade scripts on the database?
make a copy of your live site to your local machine. Test it out. If all is fine with upgrading, you can either copy back the new files on local machine to live site, or you can do the upgrade on the live site right away.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by Daniel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm

just done a quick release to so people are not going to complain about extensions not working

FIXED
set the language class back tot he old style to avoid compatibility problems with extensions
add the load method for language back to the loader class
fixed an issue with deleting categories

http://opencart.googlecode.com/files/op ... .5.5.1.zip

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:22 pm

i think i'm going to have to learn how to use github a little better. i could have set the download system to create a download from a certain point then could have put any fixes required into that download.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Alexisander » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Cool! Thanks!

Post by Daniel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 pm

I have just made a branch for 1.5.5.1 so fixes can be added and they will automatically get added to the download on opencart.com.

this means i will also be able to just make a new branch from the master whenever i need to create a new download.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Daniel wrote:I have just made a branch for 1.5.5.1 so fixes can be added and they will automatically get added to the download on opencart.com.

this means i will also be able to just make a new branch from the master whenever i need to create a new download.
That would be good in some senses.

However, it *will* result in a problem of people saying, "I have 1.5.5.1, but this issue is happening." You then have to say, "Re-download 1.5.5.1 and see if it fixes your issue -- if not, then it could be a bug." Unless the changes are automatically pushed to stores, I think this is going to cause problems with versioning, because there will be multiple versions of each point version, and no one will know exactly which one they'll have. Better to do bugfix releases, in my opinion.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Xciso » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Hello Daniel.
I think your idée is verry good, but i think i must agree with Jonathan about what he said.
Maybe it is possible to write which date new "fix release" was insert to the download section.

Or...do one stable release and one beta release like osCommerce have.
Sorry for my bad english ;)

Post by Daniel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 pm

can always create a branch from a a branch.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 pm

or just add another .2 on each commit

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by labeshops » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:00 am

MarketInSG wrote:
labeshops wrote::( Looks like it's time for me to figure out how to install opencart on my local machine if I ever want to update it without taking down my live stores. I skipped 1.5.4 (still run on 1.5.2) because I was afraid of destroying things before the holidays thinking the next update would be more seamless. Seems like just the opposite with 1.5.5. Cannot see a reason to update it at the moment, though I will hunt up that thread on installing oc on local and see if I can figure it all out.

Question - if I do this and get everything "perfect" on my local machine, how hard is it to then update my live stores? Do I just need to upload my local machine files (except config files of course), and run any upgrade scripts on the database?
make a copy of your live site to your local machine. Test it out. If all is fine with upgrading, you can either copy back the new files on local machine to live site, or you can do the upgrade on the live site right away.
Thanks! Now just to figure out how to install xamp or whatever it's called :P never have done that before.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by misspiggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 am

I downloaded and installed the 1.5.5 release yesterday
and today I wanted to upgrade it to 1.5.5.1.

However if I click on the continue button it doesn't do anything.

Do more people have this problem?

Post by Daniel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:05 am

which continue? install continue or upgrade continue!

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by jonghwa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 am

I'm now testing the oc 1.5.5.1 before adopting it to my current 1.5.4.1 theme.

I had to fix some codes about search box at the top because "catalog/view/javascript/common.js" has been changed!

Code: Select all

var filter_name = $('input[name=\'filter_name\']').attr('value');

Code: Select all

var search = $('input[name=\'search\']').attr('value');
Of course, other template files must be changed:

common/header.tpl
product/search.tpl

filter_ prefix is not used and filter_name must be search.

1.5.4.1 filter_name
1.5.5.1 search

1.5.4.1 filter_category_id
1.5.5.1 category_id

1.5.4.1 filter_sub_category
1.5.5.1 sub_category

1.5.4.1 filter_description
1.5.5.1 description

I hope there a kind of announcement page for us to know how to fix.

핀코인 (http://pincoin.co.kr)

extensions by pincoin

Location - Seoul

Post by Calcite » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 am

Xciso wrote:Hello Daniel.
I think your idée is verry good, but i think i must agree with Jonathan about what he said.
Maybe it is possible to write which date new "fix release" was insert to the download section.

Or maybe get back to the great idea that Qphoria was working on - auto update from admin. For the majority of users of OC I believe github, branches the use of the site are beyond their capability or knowledge.

Or maybe I'm just no au fait with Guthubs interface :-[

To grow OC it needs an easy upgrade path.

I love OC don't get me wrong, and really appreciate the work by Daniel and others but feel the long term interests of the cart will be enhanced by an easy upgrade path. The easier it is to upgrade the more loyal users you will have.

I agree with Xciso too, a simple way forward at the moment would be beta and stable releases that can be easily downloaded by the majority of users.

Post by blurb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 am

Calcite wrote:
Xciso wrote:Hello Daniel.

Or maybe get back to the great idea that Qphoria was working on - auto update from admin. For the majority of users of OC I believe github, branches the use of the site are beyond their capability or knowledge.

Or maybe I'm just no au fait with Guthubs interface :-[

To grow OC it needs an easy upgrade path.

I love OC don't get me wrong, and really appreciate the work by Daniel and others but feel the long term interests of the cart will be enhanced by an easy upgrade path. The easier it is to upgrade the more loyal users you will have.

I agree with Xciso too, a simple way forward at the moment would be beta and stable releases that can be easily downloaded by the majority of users.
I have only recently started using opencart and like "Calcite" and "Xciso" absolutely love opencart and really appreciate your dedication (and that of all devoted opencart developers) toward evolving it toward a world class shopping cart but feel, as like others, that it requires an easyier way to upgrade from one version to the next, much like Joomla introduced when they released 2.5 (?) with the built in updater/installer thinggie.

Non geeky types like myself find that if its easy to use, and can be upgraded as and when required ie version, bug and security updates, and installation of extensions, merely by a click of a button then we tend to remain loyal and encourage other non-geeky wannabe internet shop operators to use the same because of its user friendlyness.

I plan to stick with opencart regardless with or without a built-in one click installer as overall, its a dam neat, clean, and very fast loading shoppingcart!

Maybe one day in the (very) near future we will see this (one click installer from within admin panel) in the opencart.

Thank you

Have a great day everyone :)

Location - New Zealand

Post by misspiggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Daniel wrote:which continue? install continue or upgrade continue!
upgrade continue

Post by ksharlandjiev » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Daniel wrote: FIXED in 1.5.5.1
set the language class back tot he old style to avoid compatibility problems with extensions
add the load method for language back to the loader class
fixed an issue with deleting categories
Dainel, are you sure you have change it in 1.5.5.1 ?
I still get: Notice: Undefined property: Loader::$language error.

PS: Congrats for the new version!

PS2: Hmm, its working with the current download....
Perhaps i have downloaded an old "1.5.5.1" version :laugh:

Power Image Manager | Multi Image uploader | Bulk Update Products to Categories | Bulk Update Orders
NEW! Bulk add options | New! Bulk add attributes | NEW! Keep it Simple Checkout!

Location - London, UK

Post by gangsar.swapurba » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

I don't know is it true or not, should it following semantic versioning rule described in http://semver.org ?

With what OpenCart done right now, i think it should be 1.5.4 to 1.6.0, doesn't it ?

Just an opinion from a newbie. :joker:

Keep good working up for developer team OpenCart.

Blog Manager 2 - The Only Advanced Blog Extension for OpenCart 2.0 has coming!!!

Blog Manager - The Only Advanced Blog Extension for OpenCart

OpenCart Tips and Tutorials

Location - Indonesia

Post by Daniel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm

i'm not starting getting into a conversation on version numbers.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

1.5.5 and 1.5.5.1 should be redrawn and a new version released when all the issues are ironed out.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands