Post by bigchili » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:21 pm

JAY6390 wrote:I'm sorry, but the new search needs to be updated, and quickly. This is just retarded and needs fixing.
I'm also a little pissed off with the email update to tell us we've got to use tags too even though the tag system was being used for searches already. A little lead time would have been appreciated
Qphoria wrote:This new search is not working... PERIOD.
This is totally screwed. I am getting no matches on half of my searches and instead completely unrelated results show up. And dozens of other searches come up with nothing even close to the mods that should be found. This is MAJOR and is killing all businesses, including opencart commissions. Please fix this ASAP!
Daniel wrote:ok i have set it up to order by relevance.
Qphoria wrote:AHA!! yes.. it seems to be working great now!
Crisis averted. Phew! Thank god. The words "mutiny" "riot" and "mass exodus" amongst the devs were slowing starting to form in my head due to the tone the topic was taking.

Glad it's sorted now and balance can be restored to the OpenCart universe young Jedi. :)

I guess the real test will be though, will anyone actually notice an increase or decrease in sales from the extensions store do to the new design and search function. Only time will tell on that one...
Last edited by bigchili on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:06 pm

sales are on the slow at the moment because the summer holidays are starting and people are not wanting sites setup until when they get back.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:16 pm

just updated it again so it can search 3 letter words.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks for making the change. The relevance search is far better now. I do think however that this should be on titles and descriptions though, not on a tag field. The tag field to me is just pointless, and can be manipulated more easily than titles and descriptions. Let's get rid of the tag field, and match against what it should be matching on....extension contents

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by GoGo OpenCart » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:54 pm

It would be nice if there are two search fields to be chosen from while searching, i.e. one to search through the Title and Description, and another one to search through Tags.

When searching through the Title and Description, it would be nice, the one who searches, to have an option to choose:

Search for the exact phrase
Search for every word
Search for any word

The Title and the Description should be joined while searching, i.e. if chosen Search for every word, and one of the search words is found in the Title, and the other one is found in the Description, that extension should be shown within the search results.

Example:

Title: Uber Checkout
Description: One page checkout extension...

User searches for: Uber extension

That extension should be shown within the search results.
Last edited by GoGo OpenCart on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See all my extensions: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... 20OpenCart

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:04 pm

@Gogo - The current search should show matches for any word (and does), but match ones with both words first (ie relevance). This seems to be how it is working, but I'm sure there is sorting going on even with those which has me a bit flummoxed to be honest

Guru Member

Post by GoGo OpenCart » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 pm

@JAY6390: Didn't know that, my bad :)

Thanks for the info ;)

See all my extensions: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... 20OpenCart

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Also, @Daniel

Code: Select all

SELECT e.extension_id, e.name, e.description, e.image, e.license, e.price, m.username AS member, (
SELECT ROUND(AVG(rating)) 
FROM extension_rating er 
WHERE er.extension_id = e.extension_id 
GROUP BY er.extension_id
) AS rating, e.status, e.date_added, e.date_modified 
FROM extension e 
LEFT JOIN extension_download_to_download ed2d ON (e.extension_id = ed2d.extension_id) 
LEFT JOIN member m ON (e.member_id = m.member_id) 
WHERE e.publish = '1' 
AND e.status = '1' 
AND m.status = '1' 
AND MATCH(e.tag) AGAINST('purchase order')
GROUP BY ed2d.extension_id 
ORDER BY MATCH(e.tag) AGAINST('purchase order') DESC 
LIMIT 0,12
Can I ask why you've got the ed2d table on this? It seems totally unused, other than for the GROUP BY, which you could just change to e.extension_id and increase search performance instantly

Guru Member

Post by nchankov » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:48 pm

this could be off topic, but is it possible to move the captcha field below the tabs, because when I change info for example on tabs and click submit I always need to go to the first tab. It's nothing special, but will make our life easier :)

Also, since the possible update of extension is limited the captcha could be shown only if the user post new extension. I'm just saying :)

Edit your products with Mass Product Updater Pro directly from the product list.
Add news functionaity to your e-commerce site
Increase your sales by adding Coupon countdown in your site
--
See all available extensions here

Post by i2Paq » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:33 pm

nchankov wrote:this could be off topic, but is it possible to move the captcha field below the tabs, because when I change info for example on tabs and click submit I always need to go to the first tab. It's nothing special, but will make our life easier.
I Agree!

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:10 pm

JAY6390 wrote:Also, @Daniel

Code: Select all

SELECT e.extension_id, e.name, e.description, e.image, e.license, e.price, m.username AS member, (
SELECT ROUND(AVG(rating)) 
FROM extension_rating er 
WHERE er.extension_id = e.extension_id 
GROUP BY er.extension_id
) AS rating, e.status, e.date_added, e.date_modified 
FROM extension e 
LEFT JOIN extension_download_to_download ed2d ON (e.extension_id = ed2d.extension_id) 
LEFT JOIN member m ON (e.member_id = m.member_id) 
WHERE e.publish = '1' 
AND e.status = '1' 
AND m.status = '1' 
AND MATCH(e.tag) AGAINST('purchase order')
GROUP BY ed2d.extension_id 
ORDER BY MATCH(e.tag) AGAINST('purchase order') DESC 
LIMIT 0,12
Can I ask why you've got the ed2d table on this? It seems totally unused, other than for the GROUP BY, which you could just change to e.extension_id and increase search performance instantly

ed2d is for when you select which version you are using.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Daniel wrote:ed2d is for when you select which version you are using.
Ah I see, that does make more sense, though could be added conditionally to the query only if a specific version is selected?

Guru Member

Post by rokdazone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Like the new graphics...

However, the new background in combination with the new textcolor makes the text really hard to read.
Maybe increase the contrast on the text and change the background. Maybe a CSS3 gradient from light gray to white (top to bottom)

OpenCart extension and templates developer. Working for Shine Webb AB in Sweden. Feel free to PM/contact me if you are in need of an extension or a template.

Location - Sweden

Post by Avvici » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 pm

rokdazone wrote:Like the new graphics...

However, the new background in combination with the new textcolor makes the text really hard to read.
Maybe increase the contrast on the text and change the background. Maybe a CSS3 gradient from light gray to white (top to bottom)
I agree 100%.
Also,
The thumbnail size / sizing has got to go. I'm not going to spend another hour on a graphic that is only to be chopped off....or distorted. I've already have to totally redo all of my extension graphics to begin with. There are certain rules to follow when translating graphics to the web. Not only are "everyone's main extension thumbnails messed up/chopped off or distorted, there is no logic I have found thus yet in taking a width x height size and stretching it like that? Were talking RASTER not VECTOR here. The word out now is that you insist on the thumbnail size? I recommend it be more intuitive.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by andy2012 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:47 am

Hello, really don't like as the extension directory is done.

- Looks more like a css gallery at the moment
- The text is unreadable due to the background
- Long Description was very useful in old version

Hope things get better as the power of Opencart is due mainly for extensions to buy and sell easily.

Good work

Newsletter Enhancements - vQmod

Post by Daniel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:10 am

just added a banner for featured extensions.

please add a banner. i will add the ones i find best looking or best coded extensions.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:54 am

I was wondering where those came from 8)

Guru Member

Post by nchankov » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 am

The banner is really nice feature. I already set one banner for the first extension of my signature :)
It gives best exposure to the extensions.

Especially for paid extension I believe you should set clear rules how you can appear on this banner. Probably best sales on monthly basis, which have banner image, but this way the ones which are in that list will be always best sales :)

Few ideas regarding the extensions (the left side bar under the search fields):
1. Recent comments in the extensions
2. Recently voted
3. Recently downloaded

Probably it's not bad to have a chart with let's say top 100 extensions on monthly basis. Top means sorted by votes, by downloads, by ratings, so this way newest extension will have chance to appear in that chart.

All those things are way to point to new comers which are valuable extensions.

Edit your products with Mass Product Updater Pro directly from the product list.
Add news functionaity to your e-commerce site
Increase your sales by adding Coupon countdown in your site
--
See all available extensions here

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm guessing my banners aren't good or the extension(s) are just not well coded :-\

Guru Member