Post by arch72 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Dear all,

another one that is rather annoyed with the attitude of some forum thought police!

great system great cart...
commend the hard work of the project owner and the q man,

as for the other opencart thought police, please change your attitude, the users of opencart have and do wait very patiently, we commend the developers and the owner who do spend a lot of their own time on this.

YES WE KNOW IT IS FREE,
YES WE KNOW IT IS THE BEST OUT THEIR
YES WE KNOW PS IS CRAP

That is why we wait for the latest opencart. We are all fans of this, but please, please less attitude by the opencart support thought police.

Let Daniel and Q finish it, they are doing this for free, AND THEY ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!
Lets get better communications in place
Lets get better roadmaps/updated timelines in place
Allow the community to express an opinion, don't keep knocking them.

Shit hot product! 5 STAR!
Fantastic Owner/development team
Poor structures though (biggest weakness, i have noticed)
Keep the opencart thought police in check!!

Lets get thing ready and right.

thanks to all who contribute in a positive manner.

Post by Xsecrets » Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 pm

russiant wrote: But I am about to decide on the shopping cart for my business and i just can't rely on a system that is developed by 1.5 guys and point releases take months to get out.
If you look at what's changed I think you'll agree that 1.5.0 is MUCH more than a simple point release. Yes it probably should have been called 2.0, but that's irrelevant. If you want to see how long a true point release takes to come out look at at the 1.4.9 series. The times are much more reasonable. I would say that 1.5 is more like whatever the next version of zen everyone has been waiting on for years now, and certainly much more than the minor changes that oscommerce just got after what 4 years?

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by opencartisalright » Tue May 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Xsecrets wrote:If you look at what's changed I think you'll agree that 1.5.0 is MUCH more than a simple point release. Yes it probably should have been called 2.0, but that's irrelevant. If you want to see how long a true point release takes to come out look at at the 1.4.9 series. The times are much more reasonable. I would say that 1.5 is more like whatever the next version of zen everyone has been waiting on for years now, and certainly much more than the minor changes that oscommerce just got after what 4 years?
Herein lies one of the big problems. You've got Daniel making statements that 1.5 is only "10%" different from 1.4, then you've got people like yourself saying it should have been V2.0 because it's radically different. It's this kind of communication that just confuses people.

Post by russiant » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

arch72 is right - no roadmap or predictable schedule is the biggest problem with OC. When i was monitoring beta releases for PS, they were doing Release Candidate point releases for their 1.4 version every week, you could see all the bugs fixed in a given RC. And many people just went ahead and started using 4th or 5th RC release for their store fronts.

With OC, you are always dependent on whatever free time the developers have. No visibility into the state of things. I'll be happy to donate, but if you are building this product in the adhoc manner, I'll look elsewhere.