Post by QNAP » Tue May 17, 2011 12:21 am

Daniel

Can you tell us more information on RC2 ? Development progressing as planned?
Is it going to be released soon?

Post by Daniel » Tue May 17, 2011 12:46 am

very soon. finishing the voucher mail now then just the the categories box.

maybe tomorrow.

you can see how much has been done by using svn.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by dony_b » Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 am

wow tomorrow ...that would be great...

Location - Boston, MA

Post by imadam » Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 am

cool looking forward to RC2.

just to confirm; i've been around with the shop online setting up products and settings etc. will a simple back up of the data (which i assume opencart will have a setting for?) will keep my items safe so when i remove RC1 and put RC2 up there will be no problems? e.g. the product images, categories, titles, seo urls etc will remain?

my opencart carpet cleaning woking guildford and Office Cleaning Services in Guildford

Location - Surrey

Post by i2Paq » Tue May 17, 2011 1:31 am

imadam wrote:cool looking forward to RC2.

just to confirm; i've been around with the shop online setting up products and settings etc. will a simple back up of the data (which i assume opencart will have a setting for?) will keep my items safe so when i remove RC1 and put RC2 up there will be no problems? e.g. the product images, categories, titles, seo urls etc will remain?
There are database changes, so you will probably loose you RC1 data(base).

That you should/could have known being an RC-release.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by imadam » Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 am

ah that's a shame. so how will owners of stores with 1000's products upgrade to this? i assume the upgrade software will only be set up to work with the official versions of 1.5 once they've been completed?

my opencart carpet cleaning woking guildford and Office Cleaning Services in Guildford

Location - Surrey

Post by QNAP » Tue May 17, 2011 3:06 am

Daniel

That sound awesome! Thank you and Qphoria for the excellent job! Looking forward to RC2. :)

Any news regarding the Mega Menu, implemented by default in RC2 ?

Post by Xsecrets » Tue May 17, 2011 3:29 am

imadam wrote:ah that's a shame. so how will owners of stores with 1000's products upgrade to this? i assume the upgrade software will only be set up to work with the official versions of 1.5 once they've been completed?
when the final version of 1.5.0 is released there will be an upgrade script for the 1.4 versions, but there are no upgrade scripts being written for the 1.5 RC versions. Also even then it's already been stated that at least initially you will loose all your options.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by rlec » Tue May 17, 2011 3:42 am

To confirm - if we have a store (or build a store) using 1.4... there will be an upgrade script that will pull all pertinent product, customer, order history, modules, etc into 1.5?

Post by tjofs » Tue May 17, 2011 6:12 am

Daniel wrote:very soon. finishing the voucher mail now then just the the categories box.

maybe tomorrow.

you can see how much has been done by using svn.
Understand RC2 is coming out soon. do you have an estimated date for the Release?

Post by imadam » Wed May 18, 2011 12:47 am

Xsecrets wrote:Also even then it's already been stated that at least initially you will loose all your options.
how soon would people expect until a full upgrade script will be written to carry all options across? my issue i have at the moment is that i want to start getting the info up, start getting the content created and most importantly seo rolling whilst i get the other areas sorted and wait for 1.5 official, but unsure the best way to do it.

i could upload the latest 1.4 version, input details and get pages set up with seo url's and then upgrade once 1.5 is out and a script work assuming the info will carry across to 1.5, or upload 1.5 RC2 once it's out and get the info up and hope not too much changes with final 1.5. the benefit of this is i can start work on the minor changes in design also. i know any design wont work 100% but it'll be mostly ready so once 1.5 i'm ready to get selling asap

Location - Surrey

Post by i2Paq » Wed May 18, 2011 1:54 am

All efforts will be made to create an upgrade-script to make the upgrade from 1.4.9.x to the 1.5.0 as smooth as can be.
There is no warranty that this script will convert the current options in 1.4.9.x to the new way options are handled in 1.5.0.

You need to prepare yourself that you probable have to re-create all options for your products in 1.5.0.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by dony_b » Wed May 18, 2011 2:00 am

So all the products, categories and the store info from the database should be upgraded except the options. Is that correct ?

Location - Boston, MA

Post by mwd » Wed May 18, 2011 2:58 am

imadam wrote:how soon would people expect until a full upgrade script will be written to carry all options across? my issue i have at the moment is that i want to start getting the info up, start getting the content created and most importantly seo rolling whilst i get the other areas sorted and wait for 1.5 official, but unsure the best way to do it.

i could upload the latest 1.4 version, input details and get pages set up with seo url's and then upgrade once 1.5 is out and a script work assuming the info will carry across to 1.5, or upload 1.5 RC2 once it's out and get the info up and hope not too much changes with final 1.5. the benefit of this is i can start work on the minor changes in design also. i know any design wont work 100% but it'll be mostly ready so once 1.5 i'm ready to get selling asap
The final version and upgrade script could be months away.
If you are concerned about SEO you should install 1.4.9, get your products online and indexed by the search engines as soon as possible.
Good SEO doesn't happen overnight.
It will take time to tweak your titles, descriptions, and content for the best results, and even longer to get product backlinks anchored around the web.

Design doesn't matter so much.
Once 1.5 stable is released you can perfect your template on a test server first, and then either upgrade your current installation or import/export your products into a fresh installation.
If the product URLs change with the new version, you can easy move your indexed links and any SEO benefits to the new URLs using permanent 301 redirects.
Age has always been some factor with serps.
It's better to get a subpar site in the serps early and keep updating it than waiting and hoping to launch a perfect product on day one.

Use it? Like it? Want to support it but don't know how? Send a donation to show your appreciation.
Daniel's PayPal address - donate@opencart.com
Qphoria's Paypal address - qphoria@gmail.com

mwd

Post by imadam » Wed May 18, 2011 3:08 am

ok 1.4.9 is it, then 1.5 on a test server to get the design done once it's a bit closer to a polished verson.

Location - Surrey

Post by ash » Wed May 18, 2011 3:54 am

Any idea/estimate on when 1.5 (production ready) would be released?
Thanks

ash

Location - Houston, TX

Post by extigo » Wed May 18, 2011 4:58 am

ash wrote:Any idea/estimate on when 1.5 (production ready) would be released?
Thanks
First there will be een RC2 (Release Candidate 2) and maybe even a RC3. My guess, and correct me if I'm wrong, a stable release won't be released in the next month. It will take maybe two or three months to get it completely stable.

Op al uw computervragen een antwoord -- Extigo Computers
http://www.extigo.nl

Using OC 1.4.9.4

Post by imadam » Wed May 18, 2011 5:07 am

extigo wrote:
ash wrote:Any idea/estimate on when 1.5 (production ready) would be released?
Thanks
First there will be een RC2 (Release Candidate 2) and maybe even a RC3. My guess, and correct me if I'm wrong, a stable release won't be released in the next month. It will take maybe two or three months to get it completely stable.
although it seems so far away i'm sure it'll be here in no time and all enjoying the great cart. got to admit 1.4 looks pants in comparison to 1.5 :P

Location - Surrey

Post by opencartisalright » Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Daniel wrote:
i2Paq wrote:
mairoo wrote:When do you expect it will be officially relased?

Let us know how long we have to wait more.
As this is your first post I assume you have no clue on what the procedure is on new releases.

This RC1 will probably followed by a second and maybe a third RC before iwt will be 1.5.0.
This 1.5.0 could still be not ready for production.

So to answer your question: in a month maybe.

I don;t think you have any idea how long its going to take to get the bugs sorted out. most are done;. the biggie is gift voucers which is also nearly done. there should be another release this week.
Daniel,

Could you please give us an updated estimate on when you think you'll release RC2? Thanks.

Post by imadam » Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 pm

opencartisalright wrote: Daniel,

Could you please give us an updated estimate on when you think you'll release RC2? Thanks.
i wouldn't hassle them too much for the date. he said only a couple days ago it'll be released possibly the next day. as it hasn't this would suggest they've foudn a few more things they want to get done first before releasing so it'll be any day now and i doubt they know the exact day. if they come on and say possibly tomorrow that could change again

Location - Surrey