Post by ohalex » Sun May 08, 2011 1:27 pm

opencartisalright wrote:
JasonSGN wrote:
thegeekz wrote:
Also, Daniel, having saw the template in a demo, I am wondering if you could make a default template that does not use Tabs?

I would prefer the Top menu to be in a straight line, like the free theme in this
http://www.yoocart.net/index.php?route= ... duct_id=49

Thank you.
The tabs have been removed in the latest SVN release. The Login/Logout buttons have also been tweaked. You can view the new template on my test site here: http://www.xboxgamingnation.com/opencart/
I don't like the tabs either but I also don't like the drop down category menu along the top. I prefer to have the category menu on the left or right side. Is there somewhere in the admin panel where we can switch it back to the side columns?
Agreed 100%. It is so obvious for contemporary sites to have main-menu on top that should be a dropdown menu as in admin part. Category menu should be a side-menu of suckerfish or accordion type, navigation this way is the easiest. Why to have so many repeated links if they all could be placed in one main-menu. Information block also should be a side sucker fish or accordion menu. Of course I can do it by myself, but it is easily can be done as basic feature in the new 1.5 version.
To i2Paq: It is not a request, neither were my suggestions in my previous post, which you simply threw out without any second thought, but they are wishes, my vision as to how a contemporary site should look like.

Post by opencartisalright » Sun May 08, 2011 3:46 pm

ohalex wrote:Agreed 100%. It is so obvious for contemporary sites to have main-menu on top that should be a dropdown menu as in admin part. Category menu should be a side-menu of suckerfish or accordion type, navigation this way is the easiest.
Agreed. I like my main site navigation at top, but just not using those tabs. I prefer the categories in a side column. I hope the default theme will be designed along those lines. Otherwise I hope someone comes out with 3rd party 1.5 themes in a hurry!

Post by asphole » Sun May 08, 2011 7:27 pm

opencartisalright wrote:
ohalex wrote:Agreed 100%. It is so obvious for contemporary sites to have main-menu on top that should be a dropdown menu as in admin part. Category menu should be a side-menu of suckerfish or accordion type, navigation this way is the easiest.
Agreed. I like my main site navigation at top, but just not using those tabs. I prefer the categories in a side column. I hope the default theme will be designed along those lines. Otherwise I hope someone comes out with 3rd party 1.5 themes in a hurry!
I have to agree. I would prefer to see site navigation such as 'contact/account/login' etc along the top and the category nav in a left/right sidebar. One of my sites has about 30 top level categories so not sure how the current menubar would handle that if at all!?

Post by msmith » Sun May 08, 2011 8:21 pm

I agree, but on the other hand, I just want a stable version to come out. There will be time afterwords to play around with the template, many of us will probably change the template anyway.

Post by asphole » Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Agree with wanting a stable version but as its still RC this could be a good time to change things. Could the site navigation and category navigation be made into modules that could be positioned (right/left column/header) from the admin panel? That way everybody can choose which option they require? Just a thought?

Post by ohalex » Sun May 08, 2011 10:41 pm

asphole wrote:...as its still RC this could be a good time to change things. Could the site navigation and category navigation be made into modules that could be positioned (right/left column/header) from the admin panel? That way everybody can choose which option they require? Just a thought?
It's the RIGHT time.
It's the RIGHT thought.

Post by reynierpm » Sun May 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi guys:
Why not develop your own template based on your suggestions? I, for example is building my own based on 960gs and trying to get all valid and so on.

Post by Daniel » Sun May 08, 2011 11:13 pm

thinking of altering the mega menu so its not based on categories but links you put in your self.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by reynierpm » Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi Daniel:
First let me say that Opencart 1.5.0 is amazing and rocks as you probably knows!!!! Maybe I'm wrong or maybe not but I notice that now I can have the categories at top menu and at Categories modules but when I have a lot of categories what's happen with top menu? It grow and collapse the template. Any solution on this?

Post by ohalex » Sun May 08, 2011 11:26 pm

reynierpm wrote:Hi guys:
Why not develop your own template based on your suggestions? I, for example is building my own based on 960gs and trying to get all valid and so on.
Of course, in any case I will customize any default theme of the new version, so it was the most appropriate for me. But it’s better when the basic features are better. Isn’t it?
Daniel wrote:thinking of altering the mega menu so its not based on categories but links you put in your self.
It would be very nice.

Post by hbuchel » Sun May 08, 2011 11:33 pm

reynierpm wrote:Hi guys:
This. But also, I understand the "want" to have the categories module actually modular, and to be able to place it in the header above all the content, or in the footer, etc.

The problem I see currently with the current layout system is that the positions "header" and "footer" appear to be missing. Content Top and Content Bottom aren't really replacements for those since they sit BETWEEN the left and right columns (if active) on the page. If the left/right columns aren't active, then sure, they appear as header and footer areas. But if I put the category module in content_top, its not actually going to be able to be treated as a nice dropdown menu ABOVE all of the content. And if I put modules in content_bottom they are not going to appear as in the "footer" area, BELOW all the content.

Its easier to reposition content_top and content_bottom in the template files to act as header and footer areas and to solve all woes. However if you do that on say, the home page, where its content is completely modular, you have no position to place modules since the top and bottom have been hijacked as the header and footer areas.

I hope this is making sense and my point is to add two new positions, header and footer that actually sit completely above or completely below all the content.

It was easy enough for me to figure out how to add these other layout positions in the admin/front end and I'll probably end up doing that should I get any custom jobs in the future. So far, I adore the new options in 1.5 and the new templating options are very exciting; this has just been one glaringly missing item that I've seen while playing around with the template files. As a front-end dev it stuck out to me the most, since some of the most common questions I've received are "how do I change x_item to appear in the header or footer?"

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I completely insane?

I guess its good that the only thing people seem to be getting all huffy about are silly template issues :D

Also, custom menu's sound like they would be a great addition.

Post by reynierpm » Sun May 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Ahhh seeing from this point I'm agree totally with you. Will be nice if we could have two more areas to positioning modules and let the user, the template developer, the designer do the work. I'm not like you because I didn't interest yet in how to do this in the Front because in admin is a piece of cake so if isn't a problem for you will be nice if you share this in case that Daniel or the Dev Team doesn't include in the final release.
Cheers

Post by drazen » Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 am

Daniel wrote:thinking of altering the mega menu so its not based on categories but links you put in your self.
I think that this is a good idea.
Things that I like in this version are Checkout procedure, accordion style; Layout system, which can change layout of a shop on page per page basis; and Attributes, for which I see a bright future.
Another good thing is specific to my language (croatian), is that now when I develop shop locally, I can see croatian letters in account page, which I couldn't before, and still can't in 1.4.9.4.

I have also found some bugs, but I will report them on proper thread, if someone else didn't report it before.

Good work, thank you guys, when I make some money, I'll donate. :)

Post by opencartisalright » Mon May 09, 2011 1:42 am

That would be excellent. I prefer making my own navigation links in the top navigation menu. Categories should be modular in a side column.

But, I would rather see the functionality of the cart being worked on at this point vs. the design. There are many talented theme designers out there who are going to spend lots of time doing what they do best. Most people use a custom theme anyway.

If you told me RC2 could be released tomorrow if the current default theme was left the way it is now (with the tabs) then I'd say go for it.

Post by Daniel » Mon May 09, 2011 2:00 am

UI think all that is left is the voucher mail and the mega menu plus a few new minor bugs.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by QNAP » Mon May 09, 2011 3:46 am

opencartisalright
That would be excellent. I prefer making my own navigation links in the top navigation menu.
Categories should be modular in a side column.
Can you refer to any page where it shows more clearly how it looks? Thanx.

Post by PrinceOfDubai » Mon May 09, 2011 4:23 am

I am new on this site and trying to install the latest version of 1.5.0 but i cant see any demo anywhere.. Please someone share the demo for the latest version so i can go to install the latest version , or if latest version has some bugs then i will install the previous version but i still would love to see the latest version demo. So please if someone got give me the Demo if does not want to show here in public then send me PM

many thanks in advance,

Cheer's

Post by alex.lin » Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 am

I have setup demo at http://tylsoft.net/ocdemo

Opencart Developer

- http://www.cnopencart.com opencart中文站

Post by Qphoria » Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm

alex.lin wrote:I have setup demo at http://tylsoft.net/ocdemo
That's RC1... it has changed quite a bit since then in the SVN version

Administrator

Post by robertketter » Mon May 09, 2011 7:23 pm

How do I get the SVN Version of 1.5.0? I have been trying to find the download? I have a customer about to jump ship away from Opencart because he wants the 1.5.0 features and the only demo I have for him to see is the RC1. You can sure help me out by telling me how to show him these coming features before he jumps.

RK